Subject: Level 2: antelope or flower knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
So, I just marked off lantern year 14. I need to decide my next quarry. I have a full leather, two raw hide, and full white lion armor. I want to build the blacksmith, but short bone. I have two katars and a pauldron in some dung to harden. I have most expansions in the game. I have almost no specific resources from any monster.

I was thinking antelope to get as much resources as I can. I should be able to build the blacksmith and get armor or shield (I have the mastery thanks to the hand), but still don't have great weapons. I was thinking flower knight to go for the bow (only did him once, didn't get what I needed) and hope to get enough to also build the smith. Both would be level 2 so I can hope to get extra resources.

What are people's general opinion? Or should I hunt something else entirely? I am not sure great gear, first time this far, so maybe I am missing something? Got a level 2 nemesis next year well, so need to plan for that and decide who to fight.

Thoughts? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
When I farm antelope for resources, even at these later lantern years, I farm a level 1 because I can have my survivor with the luck build safely be the ONLY one attacking him each turn. Then one other survivors only role is tank, another's only role is cat's eye, and the last doesn't really have to do anything (maybe rawhide headband). This optimizes chances of crits on the HL's that can give bonus resources. I've nearly emptied out an antelope's entire resource deck on some rounds (with crits plus lucky hunt event bonuses). This seems way better to me than the couple of extra resources from a lvl 2... even from what I read about Adam giving bonus resources in the 1.5 revision of antelope lvl 2. Much less risk.

That said, everything I've heard people say about vespertine bow implies is stupid powerful.

I'm at about the same year and about to fight level two nemesis as well. I think maybe fighting level 2 The Hand is easiest if you abuse Whistling Mace's to put his AI cards closer to the bottom. If you decide to go this way, I think building whistling maces (if you don't have already) +blood paint, and if you can then blacksmith+ a second shield to be worn by your tank (in addition to leather shield which I'm assuming you have). Put the whistling mace's on a survivor with timeless eye, if you have that fighting art on someone.

That's how I'm playing it at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespertine bow is OP. There are enough resources in the deck to build 3 of them at the same time (only triggering the story event once, so removing 2/3rds of the penalty).

If you have sculpture, or are able to get it in the next 3 years there there is no contest, L2 FK all the way.

Level 2 Hand is the easiest of the nemesis fights. Aim to outlast and survive with lots of shields. I do not recommend hitting him with the Whistling Mace as the above poster has suggested, just do not hit him at all unless the codpiece turns up as an option from your first cat's eye circlet activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
If you hav want some decent base luck (luck stone, sleeping flower, deadly weapons, possible +1luck from graves) you can crits farm the flower knight quite easily.

Against a level 1 I all but emptied its resource deck. That should give you enough resources to build the blacksmith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
jeeshburger wrote:
and if you can then blacksmith+ a second shield to be worn by your tank (in addition to leather shield which I'm assuming you have).

I get you can have two shields since they are both technically weapons, but that doesn't stack the armor, does it? I mean, if so, wouldn't you just have 9 grids of shields, or perhaps 4? 5 for an armor set, 4 for shields since each shield offers 1-3 armor with shield proficiency? As for some of the other, never got war paint, never had the chance. Kind of like pottery, I just don't get the pre-reqs for it. I also didn't build a whistling mace, but might look into it as I can.

Italics wrote:
Vespertine bow is OP. There are enough resources in the deck to build 3 of them at the same time (only triggering the story event once, so removing 2/3rds of the penalty).

Turns out I am missing 2 sighing bloom cards. I only got 1 in my deck, so all this time I was gimped without knowing it.

Overall, though, I have had no luck with getting luck. Out of 23 living survivors, I have 2 with +1 luck, one of which has the sleeping virus flower to get it. So this campaign is not a lucky one at all for me.

The level 1 SA with one luck to attack makes a lot of sense though. Less likely for the lion hunt event, but can still survive if I get stuck doing it (beaten a level 2 already). Thanks for that advice :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maceman121 wrote:
jeeshburger wrote:
and if you can then blacksmith+ a second shield to be worn by your tank (in addition to leather shield which I'm assuming you have).

I get you can have two shields since they are both technically weapons, but that doesn't stack the armor, does it? I mean, if so, wouldn't you just have 9 grids of shields, or perhaps 4?

This is a perfectly viable and hilarious build. I have yet to take a survivor kitted out with leather shield, beacon shield, and knuckle shield but I will do it at some point. It will be hilarious and probably sub-optimal. In short; yes they do stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Each of the shields has to be a different kind to get the bonuses off it, such as two leather shields you won't get the bonuses from the 2nd (duplicate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
But you do get the bonus for shield specialization on each? Or is it only for one you get it? So would a leather and knuckle shield give you 2 armor or 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.