The Manhattan Project» Forums » General

Subject: Rinse and repeat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

Yesterday we played our first game of MP and it was a good success.

But, I am wondering if we played it right.
After playing for a few rounds, everyone had quite a few building and then it was mostly- retrieve all workers and then put all your workers on all your buildings.
After this, you might still have a few workers, but you can only do 1 action, on the main board, since you've already put all your workers on your buildings, so it usually felt better to just take them all back.

Insight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you were playing right. Sometimes it may be better to delay pulling all you guys back if it means you can get a juicy board spot (espionage )

All if you can bomb another player it can really hamper if they don't have their espionage leveled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Doesn't it make the game a bit monotonous after a few plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

No, no, no! Think about spying, think about getting the best bombs first, think that this is a race and you must to adapt to what the game are giving to you! Are there more reactors or more Enrichment plants? More mines or more factories? It's always a very intense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

No really timing is very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
It does sound as if Espionage and Air Strikes did not play a part in your game - try them out, and remember, it's no use playing nice in this game, it's winner take all

With 3+ players, be sure to take note of the "Negotiations" rule under Air Strikes, very important! And be sure you are retrieving workers correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
instinctive wrote:
It does sound as if Espionage and Air Strikes did not play a part in your game - try them out, and remember, it's no use playing nice in this game, it's winner take all

With 3+ players, be sure to take note of the "Negotiations" rule under Air Strikes, very important! And be sure you are retrieving workers correctly.

We played Espionage, but I wish it was stronger. People "camped" it, so you could rarely use it.
As for the Air Strikes, you are right. All players felt it was a high price to pay, to lose a main board worker, in order to strike someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
instinctive wrote:

We played Espionage, but I wish it was stronger. People "camped" it, so you could rarely use it.
As for the Air Strikes, you are right. All players felt it was a high price to pay, to lose a main board worker, in order to strike someone else.

If a player "camps" on espionage over the course of several turns that means he's taking several inefficient turns because he hasn't recalled to free up his building spaces.

Delaying a turn or two can be useful but extended periods of not recalling will lose you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
instinctive wrote:

You could negotiate with another player to bomb a third player together, air strike negotiations are binding. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
The more I'm playing this game, the less i'm liking it, it seems more and more clear the best strategy is just to build a big city and then mostly go "fill your city, retrieve" sequence again and again.
I've been too dominant with this strategy in two different groups and after yesterday seeing my group basically doing all the same resigned that is prolly the right way to play, it becomes boring.
Most main board places become mostly useless, and it feels less a worker placement game and more a Board draft game about drafting buildings.
Basically you just build every turn until you run out workers. Quickly you will be able to spend all your workers in a single turn. At that point instead of building you go to mainboard university, and keep doing the "use all your works, retrieve"

The mayor problem of it is that even at 4 players the board doesn't feel tight at all, since people are using 1 worker or 2 tops on board, then retrieving. When you add the fact that building, the best action, has infinite space, there is no tightness in the board. A core feature of what makes worker placement work.

I'm this close to putting this game on trade/sell, comming here to hear arguments about why im doing a mistake at dumping this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
A couple of observations:

Espionage is more important the fewer players there are in the game. All my (very intense) 2p games have revolved around balancing Espionage against everything else. In the 5p games, Espionage is nice when you can get it, but you won't do it very often.

With 3p+ is becomes very important that you develop the ability to know how well someone is doing. Then those who are behind can negotiate to Air Strike the leader. The binding negotiation are critical so that everyone who is behind loses a little (main board action, fighters, bombers) in order to pull back the leader a lot (devastation on their board).

With 4p+, the players who are doing least well will probably not be willing to sacrifice even more from their poor positions, so it will be up to #2 and #3 to collude.

This determination of who is winning and what to do about it is the heart of the game at 3p+.

When players are new, they have a hard time judging positions, tend to be very nice and never use air strikes, and try to play the game as if it were multiplayer solitaire.

As was said above, it is a race, and not a nice race. If your group is down with that, if your players can accept the "unfairness" of other players ganging up on them to bomb them, you will find that this is a fantastic game.

The more I play, the more I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
... and one more thing: it's impossible to stop someone at the end. When someone only needs a little bit more, then they don't need their board anymore, the Main Board will suffice. You have to act early and often, and shut down that amazing Mine or Reactor or Factory or whatever, before someone's on the last bomb with 4 Plutonium already stockpiled...

It's a bit like Cosmic Encounter: if everyone is nice and allies with everyone else and gets to four bases quickly, then the game will end very soon, since you can't stop everyone from making that tiny push to get five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.