Popular Tags: [View All]
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first game of Invasion from Outer Space, and we came across an ability with wording that struck the group as ambiguous. This is about Archibald's Fire Me! ability.

Quote:
Fire Me! - May use a Power Token while in a space with a Cannon to fire himself across the board as a Ranged Attack. Roll for distance using the Cannon Template and move to the target space. Any Martians landed on are Hit on the roll of 3+ (Heroes are ignored), then continue the turn as normal.

Our group was evenly split on the interpretation here.

1) Half the group (including Archibald) thought that this involved 2 separate rolls: a roll for distance, which determined how far Archibald travels, and then a roll to Ranged Attack each Martian in the target space, which Hit on a 3+. i.e. you roll 1 die to determine your Distance, and then if you land on a Martian pack you roll 1-3 dice for Ranged Attack, 1 for each Martian, and Hit on a 3+.

2) The other half of the group thought it was 1 roll, which lumped together your Distance and Hits for the Ranged Attack. i.e. you roll 1 die. If you roll 1-2, you only move 1-2 spaces and you hit NOTHING, and if you roll 3-6 spaces you can move farther and you automatically hit EVERY Martian in the target space.

We couldn't find this explained in the FAQ or rulebook, so we settled on Interpretation #1, but we still want to make sure we have it right moving forward. It only came up once, and its effect on gameplay was pretty minimal. Archie landed on a full Martian pack and only killed 2, but the surviving Martian died soon thereafter, and the Carnies went on to a win in a nail biter conclusion.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played this game, but it would seem counter intuitive to automatically miss everything close to you and automatically hit everything far from you. I would think wherever you land you then roll for each martian in the space to see if they get hit.

(As an aside, does this game seem better balanced than LNoE? Or is it also weighed fairly heavily toward the Martians?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's #1. See p16 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
I've never played this game, but it would seem counter intuitive to automatically miss everything close to you and automatically hit everything far from you. I would think wherever you land you then roll for each martian in the space to see if they get hit.

(As an aside, does this game seem better balanced than LNoE? Or is it also weighed fairly heavily toward the Martians?)

As in LNoE I think balance varies from scenario to scenario and is fairly luck dependant. Like most FFP games I wouldn't worry too much about balance though - just lean back and have some fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
It's #1. See p16 of the rulebook.

I don't think that really clarifies it. It just explains the movement portion.

I can see an argument for #1 (thematically if you gain enough speed you automatically hit everything where you land).

We've always played #2 though. And it probably makes the most sense to play it this way which is like the similar "Fire The Cannon" card:
"RANGE: 3. Choose any space within Range (ignore Line of Sight) and roll a D6 for every Martian there (Heroes are ignored). Each Martian is Hit on the roll of 3+."
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Card:Fire_The_Cannon

Even the Bomb card has you roll for each Martian in the space (though it kills not just hits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first roll determines the range. The second (or more in case of several targets) what you hit.

In your example range is already set. You will still have to roll for each possible hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.