shin ce
msg tools
Hi guys

First of all, sorry about my poor english

One thought I have been having since this kickstarter day 1 is that would be great to get more new settlement events cards for the core game.

I must say I love KD but I think it needs more variety in terms of settlement events, since it is not fun or flavourful when you draw the same settlement card during succesive lantern years. For instance, the last time I played the game with my friends we drew the nickname event card two times. In addition, in previous sessions we drew more than once that odd settlement event card which involves having your returning survivors in the middle of some kind of massive discussion spoken in different languages between the survivors who stayed in the settlement.

I think that adding some new settlement events would be the icing on the cake for this fantastic game, quite necessary if you ask me

What do you reckon? Hope Adam reads this post and decides to add more events! They are the most exciting part of the settlement event phase in my opinion.

Best regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
already done in some places (frogdog has two SEs, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
The Murderer in the Gambler's Chest also adds a Settlement Event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
The Murderer in the Gambler's Chest also adds a Settlement Event.

It could be a replacement for the murder event to make it compatible with the philosophy system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
already done in some places (frogdog has two SEs, for instance).

Which is great, but OP is asking about adding settlement events to the core game (through the upgrade pack, I assume). The 20 you get in the box is probably the only area of the game where the variety is a little limited, and the upgrade is an opportunity to add a few more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Shince wrote:
it is not fun or flavourful when you draw the same settlement card during succesive lantern years. For instance, the last time I played the game with my friends we drew the nickname event card two times.

I adopted the house rule that the Settlement events have a discard pile (i.e., no shuffling between years). I started doing that in my first campaign and I've never looked back.

For relaying it to me ahead of time, credit goes to

Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Shince wrote:
it is not fun or flavourful when you draw the same settlement card during succesive lantern years. For instance, the last time I played the game with my friends we drew the nickname event card two times.

I adopted the house rule that the Settlement events have a discard pile (i.e., no shuffling between years). I started doing that in my first campaign and I've never looked back.

I might house rule it this way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Shince wrote:

This is the way I play too. I'd love to see add-on packs that significantly expand the amount of events though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
tumorous wrote:
Shince wrote:

Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If there were a few more, I'd be all for it. But as it is, I just don't think there's enough of them. Like once you've seen the Murderer and the Plague, you know you can coast. Or conversely, if you haven't seen them and you're getting near LY25, you can expect them to show up and like so many things in KDM, you need the unpredictability to drive a lot of the emergent narrative.

I think if there was another 10 or so events in the stack, I'd prefer this style. Maybe the gambler's chest will get us there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven S.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

Thought of this too, but then I had a really intense Settlement, which changed my mind:

We've drawn 3 times the Murder Event in less than 10 Lantern Years. And everytime (we've picked accept darkness), we made the murderer the king of our settlement.
And it was reasonable in a narrative kind of way. In a dark place where the inhabitans choose to accept the darkness and made a murderer to a hero of the settlement, other people would try to equal those murderer

I like the way this game creates a new story every time.
Plus, even in real life some things will repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Shince wrote:

Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I do this too, after having suffered one too many Murdering Skull Eaters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.