Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say you have gandalf in a seige at helms deep and it's not looking good. Another round or 2 of combat and is probably done. Meanwhile Gondor is in need of help.

Is it possible to start a sortie, in the fields of helms deep in hopes of surviving 1 round so that you can then have gandalf retreat to an adjacent region whilst the rest of your army fall back into the siege.

Helms deep can then force the SA to spend another dice to finish off helm's deep whilst you race gandalf to Gondor?

Is this kind of move legal? Until now I've always assumed once a character is in a siege he's stuck. Until I thought of this tactic, but perhaps it's not allowed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot separate characters in combat like that. If they are sieged the only way to get out is to perform a successful sortie and destroy or push back the siegers. Even then Gandalf would have to separate with a later action dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Aren't there cards that separate characters under siege?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought it was too good to be true. I thought perhaps instead of retreating into the stronghold after a combat round in the field you could retreat to another location.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

Aren't there cards that separate characters under siege?

Yes. "Dead Men of Dunharrow" can get Strider/Aragorn (along with others) out of Helm's Deep, and "Paths of the Woses" can get Companions with an Army out of there, also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nothing for Minas Tirith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, with WoMe, since there are only 20 cards in the Faction Deck and a few more options to draw from it, it becomes slightly more feasible to rely on getting the card to escape with Strider and other Companions from Helm's Deep.

However, relying on cards to be drawn (unless the draw deck has decreased to seriously under half) is never a good strategy in this game. Once I was actually in the lead (and for a FP MV!). I eventually kept postponing my actions, using the palantiri to draw Character Event Cards, with the final intention of ramming up a consecutive spam of Ents against Orthanc (all three cards in a row). I was hoping to get 4 hits, and then attack with the next action a seriously weakened Orthanc (unless lucky rolls killed off the entire army, of course). In the end this was a poor strategy as I lost ground elsewhere due to this postponing and Orthanc built up a huge force it made no sense to go on an offensive).
But I guess even this strategy is now a bit more feasible, with the whole Entish Faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.