9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hegemony? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
Hegemony consists of 2 steps - spend a command and 1 culture to attempt, spend 1 culture to take over if successful. I am asking what happens if you exhaust a command, spend a culture, are sucessful but don't have the second culture to take over. Are you allowed to do this? If so, what happens next? Please explain in detail. A little confused on this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you are allowed if you do not have 2. Otherwise it would just be a waste of a command and culture token. The 1 culture upfront advanced payment is more of a system to save you some trouble if the die roll does not go well. That way you only wasted 1 culture token instead of 2 along with the command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you would ever want to do this, but it would simply result in the player not being able to take control of the planet.

Personally, I would let the player take back the culture they spent on the attempt (because the only situation where it would realistically happen is if the player didn't realise they didn't have enough culture or forgot that they had to pay a second one after the attempt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this happens you have successfully wasted one command and your last remaining culture.

I am not sure what it is you are asking. You need 2 culture to successfully hegemony a system. If you only have one, I guess you can legally spend it to attempt to do so, but you can never succeed. So why attempt it in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm not sure why you would ever want to do this, but it would simply result in the player not being able to take control of the planet.

Personally, I would let the player take back the culture they spent on the attempt (because the only situation where it would realistically happen is if the player didn't realise they didn't have enough culture or forgot that they had to pay a second one after the attempt).

Completely agree. There's no logical reason to even attempt it. As such, I would probably tell a player they couldn't do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
all of this has happened before ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
If this happens you have successfully wasted one command and your last remaining culture.

I would like to add: As Chief Commander of the Klingons or the Romulans you have taken your last breath! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Federation advancement that lets you forego paying the second culture. If you have that, you can Hegemony successfully at 1 culture. Without it, you're allowed to waste a command and a culture if you want to, but there's no way to succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certain it states in the rulebook that you must have 2 culture tokens available to even attempt the role. If you only have one culture token then you are not able to even attempt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in the rulebook does it say that?

on page 21 it says "It normally requires spending at least two Culture Tokens to take Control of a System via Hegemony: one to make the attempt and another to take Control, if the attempt was successful."

Which seems to me that you only need to spend 1 to initiate the action. If you don't have a second one to spend you won't be able to take Control, unless you have something that lets you forego paying the second culture, so most likely if you're spending your last culture on the attempt it's impossible to succeed. But I don't see any rules against attempting Hegemony when it's impossible.

Unless I'm missing another rule somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.