Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Sarjant
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I had a question come up in a recent game involving Debt from Empires. We had a Wine Merchant as an action card as well as some other cards that give Debt (Capital and Overlord, I think). My question is:

The Wine Merchant's secondary effect of returning from the Tavern Mat triggers when you have 2 or more coins left over. If you have Debt, at least 2 coins in play, and choose not to pay the Debt off (thereby also not buying anything costing coins, obviously), does the Wine Merchant return?

We ruled that he did. It didn't actually come up in play, but I'd like clarification on it if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Effervex wrote:
Hi,
I had a question come up in a recent game involving Debt from Empires. We had a Wine Merchant as an action card as well as some other cards that give Debt (Capital and Overlord, I think). My question is:

The Wine Merchant's secondary effect of returning from the Tavern Mat triggers when you have 2 or more coins left over. If you have Debt, at least 2 coins in play, and choose not to pay the Debt off (thereby also not buying anything costing coins, obviously), does the Wine Merchant return?

We ruled that he did. It didn't actually come up in play, but I'd like clarification on it if possible.
I don't see any reason while it shouldn't. The Wine Merchant's clause is "have $2 left", not "don't have any debt as well". Paying off debt, furthermore, is optional, not mandatory, in your buy phase, according to the rulebook.

Therefore yes, you may decide to partially pay your debt and leave $2 to discard your Wine Merchant(s) from the Tavern Mat; of course, you won't be able of course to buy any card or event until you fully pay off your debt. Note: you cannot even buy cards costing debt or even cards that cost $0 when in debt.

Example:
- You have $9 at the start of your buy phase, after playing all your treasures.
- You also have 1 debt token from your previous turn.
- You pay $1 to remove your 1 debt token, so that you can buy stuff. Now you have $8.
- You buy the Overlord, costing 8 debt. You take 8 debt.
- You immediately pay off $6 to remove 6 debt. You still have 2 debt.
- You finish your buy phase with $2 left (and 2 debt). You can discard all Wine Merchant(s) on your Tavern mat.
- In the next turn you have to pay $2 during your buy phase to pay off your remaining 2 debt, before buying anything else (even a Copper or an Engineer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is one of the exceptions to why you wouldn't always want to automatically pay off debt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Capital + Wine Merchant lets you both pay off the debt and take the Wine Merchant off your Reserve Mat in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.