Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea» Forums » Reviews

Subject: War At Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heng Wang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the release of WAS, I was looking forward to a cool (albeit collectible) naval game- something WAS fails on multiple levels.

MINIATURES:
The miniatures are not impressive at all- the bigger ships like aircraft carriers, are hollow- already a bad sign. The level of detail is not very high- I know its a prepainted collectible game, but the regular AA minis game had better and more detailed minis. Many of the ships are molded in this weird soft plastic and are bent or get bent when stored. The aircraft are pretty good for their size, coming three on a stand to represent a squadron.

GAMEPLAY:
The gameplay, to be frank- doesn't feel like naval combat- I'm not a naval simulation buff, but I'm pretty sure things like facing, speed, reloading of ordnance, etc come into play in pretty major ways in a naval battle. Ships simply move their speed value in any direction they want- yes that means a heavy cruiser that was going straight forward can suddenly turn around and go back in one turn. Also, torpedoes can just be fired during their phase for as many turns as you want- theres no reloading and apparently this is some weird alternate universe where tiny torpedo boats have unlimited numbers of torps- and battleships and cruisers can fire full salvos continously without reloading.

OVERALL:
WAS, simply put isn't a naval game- AA Minis wasn't very historically accurate or realistic, but it was better than this. Also, the fact that $15 only gets you five ships (and only one is a capital ship), the game isn't a very good value either. Unless you just want ship models for other naval games and don't want to buy metal minis, I'd stay away from this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently you do not agree with most people whom have tried it out since it has already sold out of it's first production run. It has sold better than any of the "regular AA minis" that you like so much.

HoodRich wrote:
the bigger ships like aircraft carriers, are hollow- already a bad sign.

Oh like the "regular AA minis" tanks aren't hollow? Not. At least the ships are the same scale, unlike the "regular AA minis".

HoodRich wrote:
Ships simply move their speed value in any direction they want- yes that means a heavy cruiser that was going straight forward can suddenly turn around and go back in one turn.

If you had read the rules, you would know that a sector is about 5000 yards (2.8 miles) wide, I would think any ship would be able to face any way it wants in that large area of water.

HoodRich wrote:
battleships and cruisers can fire full salvos continously without reloading.

Again, reading the rules, a turn is 10 minutes. Any caliber of gun is going to be reloaded in 10 minutes.

HoodRich wrote:
WAS, simply put isn't a naval game

Ahh, if it is not a game, then what is it? I am sure you mean that it is not a naval simulation. To which I would agree, it is not a naval simulation. It is a beer and pretzels game. I have seen people use other rules such as General Quarters and Victory at Sea. Their (Axis & Allies) forums do have some more advanced (optional) rules.

HoodRich wrote:
the fact that $15 only gets you five ships

Hmmmm, where can you get painted WWII naval miniatures for less? I am sure others would like to know.

Obviously I have played the game and like it for what it is, a beer and pretzels game. I have also played naval simulations. If you play the game a few times, you will realize that there are some potential 'problems', none of which were mentioned in the 'review'. I would venture to say that not much play time was put in before the 'review'.

I am not going to say that War at Sea is the greatest ever WWII naval game. But I would say that the ships are a good value. It allows one to get into WWII naval without the painting/assembly for a decent price of $3(retail) per ship or cheaper when ordered online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Greg. It seems you reviewed the game for what it was not meant to be, i.e. a serious naval simulation. WAS was always meant to be a light, fast-playing naval battle game with fairly high quality, prepainted minis. The game essentially brings naval miniature gaming to the masses, those of us who don't have the time or inclination to build and paint metal or resin models, and those of us who aren't interested in checked three or four charts, using rulers, and marking off pads of hit boxes. I also have to agree with Greg that these minis are excellent values in terms of their paint jobs and level of detail vs. what one pays. Unpainted models are not perfect either - the more affordable ones (prices similar to WAS minis) are unpainted and usually have less surface detail, while the more detailed minis are more expensive than WAS minis and still require painting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you are missing the point of A&A WAS with your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
Agreed, the minis are pretty decent value just by themselves. I have no regrets dropping $300 on those ships so far because I can always do some fixing with the rules but the ships remain a treat to watch if you get a proper mat for them to sail on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony szabo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I wanted to chime in here. I have never played or owned any collectable miniatures before WAS. I really enjoy playing the game. I usually spend time playing by myself trying out different combinations of the different fleets. It's a good time, but I do agree that it is not a serious simulation by any means. I have been a little let down on the detailing of a few of the ships and planes....but that doesn't distract from the fun. I have already made a custom map (larger and more durable) and custom 3-D islands. I brought all my pieces to a recent game convention in Olympia Washington. Almost all the boosters and starters were sold out by the vendors there. People watched the demos and ended up buying. Some people did buy the Victory at Sea rules and then the WAS pieces for use with that. It's an easy game to learn and teach to new players (not intimidating at all). I give it a big thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.