Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonia Browne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there.

First of all, Can i play 3-4, with a full box expansion?

Second, which square box expansion is the best one to have? I'm not a completionist, so i just want to have a great one to play with (quest, characters, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Antonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always remember "foundations of stone" as a great scenario for a multiplayer game, but you'll need Khazad Dum to play this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be able to build three to four decks by picking up khazad dum and foundations, but they aren't going to be extremely strong. I really like the quests in The Black Riders, personally. Check it out if you don't have a problem with hobbits. It sounds like you might be playing casually, in which case lowering the deck size to 40 or 30 cards will really help you spread the card pool out.

The important thing to remember is you can probably find a second core set on the cheap somewhere, which will give you your third and fourth threat trackers and enough tokens to go around, as well as a lot more cards to build with. This is my recommendation, especially with the quality of those first three quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia Browne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, you say that if i can, i better buy another base game? Rather than an expansion?

Cheers!

Antonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokka coffee wrote:
So, you say that if i can, i better buy another base game? Rather than an expansion?

Cheers!

Antonia

It depends how OCD you are about having a full set of three for each card.

The core game gives you three each of most cards, two each of some, and one each of a few.

With just the core game you can easily play 3-4 players with 30 card hands; limited by the above described card distribution.

The full "tournament" game requires minimum 50 card player decks.

You can buy 1-2 more core sets to achieve three of each card, threat wheels for players 3 and 4, plus spare tokens. This is expensive and much of the cores will be waste.

Or you can go directly to an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play 3 or 4 player games but if I did I'd be tempted to grab a used core from my FLGS or the geek market just so I have a complete collection of components. Having the extra cards can help (enough Gandalf to go around), but it's not an issue of AD or OCD - I think it's crazy for ANYONE to buy a third core.

You can also find spare parts on eBay but I'm not sure you'd save much money. Either way you won't be paying retail and you'll cut down on waste.

I think going straight into expansions would be fine if you don't mind substituting for tokens and trackers. And if you do, I would skip the Hobbit boxes and start with the Fellowship saga or KD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to build 3 and 4 player decks that worked with the full first cycle with only one core set and the heirs of numenor cycle.
The biggest drawback was not everyone has multiple copies of Gandalf in their deck.

A single core set + its own cycle + any full cycle would be more then plenty to enjoy the game with 3 and 4 players. As for which one Khazad-Dum is indeed the most interesting one to begin with, however I find that you should check the existing boxes and see what contents they have. Pick accordingly to whichever one floats your boat best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.