Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

1) The 3 tokens
About to prepare my first session of the game and I am wondering about the 3 cardboard tokens that come with the Infamy and the Anchor tokens. What are those used for?

I could imagine they're being used for the mandates or so to show which player has played it. Or am I missing something?

2) Selling upgrades
The rules seem to be conflicting which each other. On page 8 the rules state that: "They also cannot buy or sell upgrades at this time", when a captain is being plundered.

But on the next page under "Upgrades" the rules state "Players may choose to sell upgrades by visiting a port, or directly after they have been plundered."

Which is correct?

3) Officers and Infamy
Am I correct that I also gain Infamy when I upgrade something with an Officer?

Thanks,
Markus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ensignia Games
msg tools
mb
Hi Markus,

Those are some good questions. I'm adding these to the FAQ. Also, I apologize for the conflicting rulings on question 2. Here are the answers:

About to prepare my first session of the game and I am wondering about the 3 cardboard tokens that come with the Infamy and the Anchor tokens. What are those used for?

I could imagine they're being used for the mandates or so to show which player has played it. Or am I missing something?

Correct, these are used to denote Mandates throughout the game. These cutouts are used only when playing with the Corsair expansion. Each player can have one of each type of Mandate present on the board (one Blockade, one Tariff, and one Bounty. These are played on Port Cards, Cargo Cards, and Captain Cards, respectively.

2) Selling upgrades
The rules seem to be conflicting which each other. On page 8 the rules state that: "They also cannot buy or sell upgrades at this time", when a captain is being plundered.

But on the next page under "Upgrades" the rules state "Players may choose to sell upgrades by visiting a port, or directly after they have been plundered."

Which is correct?

My apologies; you are absolutely correct and this should have been caught. You CAN sell upgrades immediately after being plundered. I would recommend this if you have no cargo and no immediate prospects to refill your Hold. You can sell an upgrade and purchase cargo for resell immediately after being plundered.

3) Officers and Infamy
Am I correct that I also gain Infamy when I upgrade something with an Officer?

Correct, Officers actually directly grant an upgrade. You receive Infamy with the upgrade. Conversely, if a player LOSES an Officer throughout play they will actually lose the Infamy granted by that Officer, as well. In some cases players even need to drop Cargo if they lose upgrades to their Hold.

I hope the above explanations are clear. Let me know if you have any further questions.

- Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.