Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Crider
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird thing happened in a game: early on, the Imperial Double Agent card came out and was won in the senate phase. From that point forward, the winning player dominated the covert action phase amassing 24 VP and gaining the substantial benefit those cards conferred. This turned out to be decisive.

Out of curiosity, has this happened to any other group? If so, was there a strategy to combat the effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That specific scenario, no. However, in two of the three games I've played to date, whoever dominated the Covert Action phase won. Still that's a small sample to draw conclusions from.

tonycrider wrote:
Weird thing happened in a game: early on, the Imperial Double Agent card came out and was won in the senate phase. From that point forward, the winning player dominated the covert action phase amassing 24 VP and gaining the substantial benefit those cards conferred. This turned out to be decisive.

Out of curiosity, has this happened to any other group? If so, was there a strategy to combat the effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Crider
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I would expect that initiative could be used to deal with dominating the covert actions, but this card gives no recourse. It just broke the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game we came across this Imp action card and decided that the card was over powered since only one person was ale to do a covert mission per turn. We took out this card and made it un-usable. Since then the designer has offered a new option for covert mission:
Glen Dover wrote:
1) Covert Mission (Optional)
Instead of only one Covert Mission going to the player in the first turn order, allow access to all three Covert Missions. The player in the first turn order position still has first choice, then second player, and so on. They still must be able to pay for the Mission from workers in the Covert Mission Box.

This new option would balance out the Imperial Double agent Action card better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I just saw that too. It may help. However, for my group, we may adopt a bidding system like that for the Senate. The winning player would use the "winning" figures to execute the CA, but then dispose of them. Example: Say I win the bid with a Hero, Smuggler, and three Rebels. My target planet only requires a value of 4, so the first two figures are enough, but I also have to lose the three Rebels, reducing my influence in the CA space. Like in the Senate, losing players will be stronger in the next turn since their figures are available for another CA "vote".

Bogusgig wrote:
In a 2 player game we came across this Imp action card and decided that the card was over powered since only one person was ale to do a covert mission per turn. We took out this card and made it un-usable. Since then the designer has offered a new option for covert mission:
Glen Dover wrote:
1) Covert Mission (Optional)
Instead of only one Covert Mission going to the player in the first turn order, allow access to all three Covert Missions. The player in the first turn order position still has first choice, then second player, and so on. They still must be able to pay for the Mission from workers in the Covert Mission Box.

This new option would balance out the Imperial Double agent Action card better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.