Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have any recommendations for a game that involves exploration. Not talking about dungeon crawls, think more along the line of archaeological. Thanks in advance, Gene

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
XIII wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations for a game that involves exploration. Not talking about dungeon crawls, think more along the line of archaeological. Thanks in advance, Gene

Goldland is an exploration game. Never played it, so I can't vouch for its gameplay quality, but I've been eyeing it for a long time now. You'd have to buy used, probably, but it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider games to be exploration games if you add tiles/pieces to reveal the layout of the land. Carcassonne does not qualify because there's no sense of moving around on the land as it develops. Check out:

Entdecker
Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons
Lost Valley
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown
Tikal
Jenseits von Theben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XIII wrote:

Tikal is a very popular exploration game, though it's more in the theme of discovering temples hidden in a jungle environment than "digging them up" in the ground.. But might fit the bill for you.

If the archaeological theme is more important than the exploration mechanism, Mykerinos might work for you. It involves excavating egyptian artifacts which are then displayed in a museum, but I've read that the theme is fairly thin and boils down to an area-control mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expedition is another possibility, although it's not exploration per se...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I highly recommend Lost Valley. It's the most exciting and interesting exploration game I have played. Note: I would only ever play it with four players, as three is unbalanced and two isn't really supported - you have to play a four player game with two people (okay, but not nearly as much fun as four player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Africa is a light game and reasonably fun. Good for new gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley, Goldland, Entdecker, and Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley bleeds the exploration theme. I played it for the first time a few weeks back and I felt like I was in the HBO show Deadwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Source of the Nile is an oldie but goodie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Another thumbsup for Tikal and Jenseits von Theben. Jenseits is the lighter of the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the reccomendations!
I have picked up Tikal so many times and placed it back down. Fearing my group would not play it more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.