Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: First game: stuck in suborbital flight or: how do I leave this place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd take the game out for a solo spin. I'd read the manual, saw a little playthrough, how hard could it be?
40 Mins later and I can't seem to figure out how to leave earth for orbit.
Do I pack 5 Juno rockets? Nope, not enough thrust, ok, I'll build an atlas. Same problem, stuck in suborbital flight that way.

I think I might need to get in a different mind set. Do you need to go for the heavier rockets ASAP to get off our little Rock and save the junos for space? The Saturn will certainly get me off earth, just leave me poor and a couple of boring rounds
I thought I had to start "small" and work my way up.

Thanks in advance.

Also: is earth orbit considered "space" when checking mission success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, orbit is considered "in space".

I usually use Atlas rockets to shuttle cargo into orbit and then assemble crafts there using rendezvous. I usually spend many initial years just paying for tech and components and don't start actually doing anything until I have stuff I'm ready to test. I don't take much risk and will usually get my atlas, re-entry and landing techs fully debugged before starting actual mission work.

I might also get slaughtered by better players if I wasn't only playing solo. Multiplayer racing for the goals would sure be an interesting way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, even suborbital flight is space. Everything that is not the earth card is in space in this game.

Building up from small to big is usually not the way to go here. I recommend starting with Soyuz and Junos, they give you much of everything you need for an easy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a point to really understand the math built into the chart on the player boards. When I started I was doing it all from scratch: "I need another 2 thrust, add a Juno, but that adds another mass, so DAMMIT, add another one, etc." Just figure out the mass you need to move and the effort, and lookup what rocket(s) you need. Entire missions (like man to the moon and back) require mission planning (multiple steps of various payloads, discarding spent rockets, rendezvous, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every location BUT Earth is considered space.

Don't forget you can have multi-stage rockets, or single stages made from multiple rockets. But adding rockets also adds weight, so there is a trade off. The "space agency" cards list the available payload each rocket can carry based on the difficulty of the maneuver. (These cards confused me at first, so I didn't use them. It is worth figuring out how they work. They can save you a lot of calculations.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Like I thought I need to get myself in a different mindset.
Advanced mission planning sounds amazing(ly difficult) but worth it.
Now to get my probe in orbit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rakaydos Vashini
msg tools
mb
"probe into orbit"

Stick the probe onto an atlas, and that atlas ontop of another atlas.
the first atlas pushes the total 9 mass (5 after burning the atlas) into Suborbital flight, and the second atlas pushes the 5 total mass of probe+atlas (1 mass after the second atlas is consumed) into earth orbit.

Or just use a Soyuz, and lift 1 mass directly to orbit.

Earth lift "Numbers to Memorize":
Atlas on Atlas: 1 mass
Soyuz direct: 1 mass
Saturn direct: 5 mass
Soyuz on Soyuz: 7 mass
Saturn on Saturn: 20 mass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakaydos wrote:
Atlas on Atlas: 1 mass
Soyuz direct: 1 mass
Saturn direct: 5 mass
Soyuz on Soyuz: 7 mass
Saturn on Saturn: 20 mass

Once the idea of having a multi-stage rocket makes sense to you, take a look at the payload chart on your space agency card and you'll see these numbers jump out at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.