Subject: Mystic Troll Moved to Age 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik
Germany
Garching bei München
Bayern
flag msg tools
Hey BGG, I am super happy with the balance, power level and distribution of cards through the 3 ages, excluding one Kickstarter mini: the Mystic Troll.

It's effect is that you can invade the Mystic Troll's region for free regardless of other invade costs. The standard age for it is Third.

My current problem is that the monster is not strong on its own, and while the effect is theoretically awesome, the third age is usually too short, areas already too filled and Rage aplenty, leading to this brilliant monster being seldomly picked in the draft. I was thinking of moving it to the second age. Am I missing any obvious broken combos making the Mystic Troll a must pick in age 2 or do you see this as a good realignment?

Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be worried that you could leverage it too strongly in the second age to set yourself up for the third age. If you had this in the second age you could pretty reliably get units out to your full horns stat before the 3rd age started which could put you in a very dominant position. Then again, just about every card in the game has the potential to put you in a very dominant position in the right circumstances.

As for how to make good use of it in the 3rd age. It would work wonders for someone who has been maxing out their horns stat instead of their rage stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about house ruling that the Mystic Troll has synergy with the Mystics expansion units. But was worried that this might make him too OP. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boctor
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJJBonez wrote:
I've thought about house ruling that the Mystic Troll has synergy with the Mystics expansion units. But was worried that this might make him too OP. Any thoughts?

That depends on exactly what you mean by "synergy" in this case. Do you mean classifying the Mystic Troll so that it counts as a Mystic and that therefore all Mystic upgrades (Frigge's Chosen for example) would affect it?

If so, I feel a potentially indestructible Mystic Troll that can Agent Smith itself onto the battlefield is a little strong.

If not, then please clarify further and I'll shut up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndrarch wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

That depends on exactly what you mean by "synergy" in this case. Do you mean classifying the Mystic Troll so that it counts as a Mystic and that therefore all Mystic upgrades (Frigge's Chosen for example) would affect it?

If so, I feel a potentially indestructible Mystic Troll that can Agent Smith itself onto the battlefield is a little strong.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Mystic Troll counts as a 'Mystic' getting all Mystic clan upgrade bonuses. So yea, you're thinking this is super OP? But hey, at least maybe it'll get drafted then, instead of almost always being a instant discard.

On a side note, after many, many games. (This is one of our favs). I've never seen a player with a full Mystic focused strategy win a game. Often coming 2nd at best. Mystic Troll could be the missing link to an ultimate combo worthy of a possible win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Here was one of the earlier drafts you might want to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik
Germany
Garching bei München
Bayern
flag msg tools
moosemcd wrote:
I'd be worried that you could leverage it too strongly in the second age to set yourself up for the third age. If you had this in the second age you could pretty reliably get units out to your full horns stat before the 3rd age started which could put you in a very dominant position. Then again, just about every card in the game has the potential to put you in a very dominant position in the right circumstances.

As for how to make good use of it in the 3rd age. It would work wonders for someone who has been maxing out their horns stat instead of their rage stat.

This is my worry, however when thinking about it, what units could really be placed in the second age? As the Mystic Troll counts as a monster, there is a maximum of one other Age 1 monster being free, the sea serpent probably being the strongest of the bunch. Leaders and mystics and the dwarf chieftain are free anyhow. And any unit that comes into play only during the second age has its rage cost paid anyhow due to the upgrade action (e.g. no free fire demon or elves). Thus, the major positive would be that you could theoretically max out your horns if you put a lot of warriors on the board, which is only possible if the other players let you do that and you have a bunch of free space available. Additionally the horn stats limits you.

Overall I feel that the Mystic Troll is weaker in Age 2 and it grows stronger the later the game gets, as it would allow you to e.g. get a free Fire Demon on the board instead of paying 4 Rage again, however then you lose out on the surprise effect ofc. This is were I was coming from trying it out in age 2. Sorry that the opening post lacked this though process, I was on mobile at the time.

JJJBonez wrote:
Wyndrarch wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Mystic Troll counts as a 'Mystic' getting all Mystic clan upgrade bonuses. So yea, you're thinking this is super OP? But hey, at least maybe it'll get drafted then, instead of almost always being a instant discard.

On a side note, after many, many games. (This is one of our favs). I've never seen a player with a full Mystic focused strategy win a game. Often coming 2nd at best. Mystic Troll could be the missing link to an ultimate combo worthy of a possible win?

Interesting idea. This makes the combo for the third age mystic card especially viable and could make the whole strategy a bit more viable as a focus point instead of as additional factor within another strategy. I have to think about this some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panon Stormcrow
Brazil
flag msg tools
I agree that the troll is weak. We currently play with him being considerated a mystic, and it haven't being any problem, he's still weak.

Besides all the considerations you already mentioned for him not being much worth, he also consumes one of your monsters slot and it's rare to have a monster slot open at the third age (considering there are other way better monsters at age 3). The troll is a better pick the the volur at least...

Now, moving him to the second age may really make him shine, and I don't belive it would be broken. MAYBE even moving him AND making it count as a mystic, it would be verry strong but probablly still not an insta pick as there are other better cards depending on your strategy hehe

All he does is cost you 2 rage to put 2 stregh in the border in the form of a monster (consuming a monster slot), and then making you get back some rage. You'll get what? 6-8 rages in total (age 2 and 3)? Strong, but not broken in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.