Subject: A Playthough Using Hybrid Original and Solo Rules (or 2 player) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

This is not intended as an AAR, but rather just to show how the majority of the solo rules can be applied, using movement rules from the original game (ie Arab each contingent rolls for it's movement allowance every turn). I did not apply the Israeli Shock Effect (as per solo rules), however in future I will try it with Shock in effect as Turn 1 went badly for the Israelis, a little too ahistorical perhaps and when combined with bad luck in Turn 2, it left them with an uphill stuggle, albeit one which they pulled off in the end.

To summarize, the main differences with the original rules and Bart Brodowski's solo rules:

The concept of player fronts is done away with, except for the Sinai and Eastern Air Defense Level. The Israeli player simply shares all units and purchases reserves. Air assets are cost free (with occasional wear and tear if they end up in the refit box).

Arab Disintegration does not apply

The solo rules use a new Israeli Directive Chart, which identified turn or game-based goals which may result in addition victory points, albeit at the possible expense of Soviet or UN intervention, should one of the other reach a score of 6 on a diplomatic track.

A slightly different random events table, which can dictate which countries enter the conflict on a given turn or receive reinforcements, for example.

What's important to note here is that the original rules forbid certain actions, such as the Israelis crossing the Jordan before Turn 4, the solo rules allow more freedom, although if a player should draw 'Leave it to the Commanders' then similar to original rules apply for that turn with regard to where Israeli forces and go/and or attack.

I replaced the Arab reaction/movement phase from the solo rules with the original movement/combat rules, ie roll a dice for each contingent every turn before their movement phase. I did this, primarily as I found the former to be very time consuming and it's far more fluid to be able to control each Arab contingent using the original rules.

As I said, I think next time I will try the same hybrid rules again with the Israeli Shock Effect applied for Turn 1. While the Israelis had lots of bad luck over the first two days, the ISE may have provided a more realistic basis for them to attack the Sinai for example. Instead, they circled the wagons early and with one or two minor exceptions, success was confined to the West Bank, capturing Damascus and holding Amman. The Jordanians even captured West Jerusalem at one point. In short, even though the Israelis easily captured Sharm el Sheik early on, their Sinai campaign was largely a failure, one where they almost lost Bersheeba, and did some some minor territory near the Gaza strip.

Some photos below, which hopefully will give an overview of how the game went. I should also say at this point, the more I play the game in a 1/2 player Israeli v Arab format, the more I like it. I always found the original 'Front' rules to be very fiddly and not all that much fun.

In the end, the Israeli's scored 70 VPs (Partial Victory), most notably capturing Damascus, taking Amman for one turn and heroically capturing both East and West Jerusalem from the Arabs. They failed to take Gaza and virtually stalled just inside the Egyptian frontier.

The Arabs held Gaza and captured a couple of Kibbutzs in southern Israel, their highlight probably capturing West Jerusalem in the same turn Amman fell, the Jordanians by far performing the best. The Syrian's fell apart as soon as the Israelis crossed the Jordan and pushed onwards towards Damascus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.