Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some gentleman rated this game a 1 AND they did NOT even played it!!!

This is definitly a no-go for me as a designer who gives a lot of passion into designing games.

I understand the concerns of the meterial and ruleboock issues, but please don't do it this way!
These concerns you have don't have anything to do with the quality of the game itself!

Do a thread and writhe your anger there or contact the publisher or just do it in comments and leave the rating, because it's just not the way!

Stuff like this makes me angry and sad...soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:
I understand the concerns of the meterial and ruleboock issues, but please don't do it this way!
These concerns you have don't have anything to do with the quality of the game itself!

The BGG rating is about every aspect of the game. Not just the design but the components certainly are part of the rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I see two ones from two different people. However, one of them is a Cleveland Browns fan so give him a break...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lampe
Germany
Mettingen
NRW
flag msg tools
VFL Borussia Mönchengladbach 1900
badge
Günter Netzer FUSSBALLGOTT!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of Solarius Mission the voter explained why. Ok, he hasn't played the game so far. I Can understand that it bothers you, but I can understand him too, a bit.

This guy bothers me more: devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
I see two ones from two different people. However, one of them is a Cleveland Browns fan so give him a break...

Not only a Browns fan... also a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

Dealing with that much losing could turn anyone into a hater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these outlier ratings is counted for the general ranking, if it's any consolation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:

This is definitly a no-go for me as a designer who gives a lot of passion into designing games.

Do a thread and writhe your anger there or contact the publisher or just do it in comments and leave the rating, because it's just not the way!

Relax, BGG ratings are entirely without merit and meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Freakgeims wrote:

THIS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Freakgeims wrote:

whereas Solarius is definitely a game with merit. it just has a few hurdles to overcome, but with the help of the designers here on BGG it's quite easy to overcome these.
let's hope Stronghold publishes it and more people can anjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I can understand your frustration. Nonetheless you should be auto-critic and accept the criticisms about not only the game from a design perspective but also about the components. Setting a price of 65€ for a game which hardly reaches La Granja components quality and ask people to stick the set of dice and glue some other components is, at least, annoying.

Treat the gamers kindly and tell the publisher to release a revised PDF of the rules at least.

Thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
Whereas Solarius is definitely a game with merit. it just has a few hurdles to overcome, but with the help of the designers here on BGG it's quite easy to overcome these.

It's absolutely unacceptable for those who own the game to wait for other publisher to fix the low-quality rulebook or 'do it yourself' components issue. It's a 65€ product and we deserve getting high quality games.

Imho, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
HerrJork wrote:
Whereas Solarius is definitely a game with merit. it just has a few hurdles to overcome, but with the help of the designers here on BGG it's quite easy to overcome these.

It's absolutely unacceptable for those who own the game to wait for other publisher to fix the low-quality rulebook or 'do it yourself' components issue. It's a 65€ product and we deserve getting high quality games.

Imho, of course.

The publisher is providing replacements for the discs that are too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:

Despite my replies I haven't rated since we haven't played yet the game. But it will certainly affect the final score. Otherwise I will be cheating myself. Probably the rules might be solved here with your kind participation. However component-wise it has no solution with the Spielworxx edition.

And that makes me sad, too. Companies inflating prices and reducing quality is a no-no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Carlos Santos
Portugal
Marinha Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you agree that no one can give a 1 without playing the game! because, at least, 25% of the rating it's off of consideration...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
Almilcar wrote:
HerrJork wrote:

Imho, of course.

The publisher is providing replacements for the discs that are too small.

Those are good news. Thanks for the heads up. Do you have more news?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are allowed to rate any game any rating for any reason. Get over it.

The two "1" ratings I see both appear valid. One of them is based on a "want to play" criteria (which is actually the suggested metric that BGG advocates) and the other mentions the poor rulebook which one can read without having to play. In fact, it's entirely possible that someone could give up trying to play the game after struggling through a horrible rulebook.

But regardless, a designer who rants about bad ratings always comes off looking bad. Don't fall into that trap. Know that you've made the best game you could and trust that people will see the value in what you've done. Don't obsess over a few aberrant ratings... they'll get swallowed by the sea of praise. (Although do take the criticism to heart and make a game with a better rulebook next time please!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okey, I'am with you, that there is not only the game quality itself, but also the components,rulebook,art, a.s.o. where this ranking stays for.

But my problem is, that I see the 1 because of issues, that has nothing to do with the gameplay itself, especially because it was not even played.

I could understand statements like: "I played the game X times and i kind of enjoyed it, but the components and rulebook make it very hard for me to enjoy it fully. Because of the bad quality of the physical game, I rate this whole package a X".

Sorry, no more news so far... but soon

No worries, i will get over it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:
But my problem is, that I see the 1 because of issues, that has nothing to do with the gameplay itself, especially because it was not even played.
If you think a bad rulebook doesn't impact gameplay, you're delusional. There's nothing worse than getting halfway through a game and running into a fundamental rules question that can't be addressed. Or realizing that you've been playing the game wrong because the rules were written incorrectly.

And yeah, if I go to play a game and start reading the rules and they're so bad that I give up and decide to play something else... that's a valid reason to rate a game poorly, even if I never played the game. You don't get to insist that the gameplay is something separate from the components. The rulebook and components are the physical implementation of the game... and if they're compromised in a way that I can't find the "great gameplay", then that means I'm not experiencing the "great gameplay" and I have a justification to rate a game poorly.

I don't care how great a game is if I can't actually play it. You might as well just sell a box full of wooden cubes and pieces and insist that if I just "knew" how to play that it'd be a great game. Your responsibility as a designer is to put together a great game that can be played. If the rulebook is so bad that I can't figure out the game, then you failed and I didn't get a great game. All I got was a box full of potential that only gets realized if I find someone who can explain all the things that are missing or wrong in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reading Mike.

You should see our points of view as constructive criticism even if they don't fulfill your expectations. I presume your influence in some aspects of the game is minimal but I guess it's part of the business model.

Again, thanks for posting here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's really that poorly written rulebook, that someone can not play the game, then it's even more sad for me as the designer!

Also because, I didn't had anything to do with the translation of the rules...

I just can try to motivate people to ask here, if there should be anything not clear... i will try to do my best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:
If it's really that poorly written rulebook, that someone can not play the game, then it's even more sad for me as the designer!

Also because, I didn't had anything to do with the translation of the rules...

I just can try to motivate people to ask here, if there should be anything not clear... i will try to do my best!

Probably might be tough with game publishing deadlines, but maybe in the future you can try to publish the english translation of rules here on BGG for feedback before the game is printed? It has worked for some kickstarter projects to publish their rules ahead of time and users have suggested clarifications and caught mistakes before the game is printed.

Albeit this might not work well for a game through a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the original language of the rules? German?

Can anyone who reads both say whether the German rules are better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Freakgeims wrote:

I agree.
Why even buy board games if you're not going to play them! *Turns and looks at own collection...*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Long View
badge
The Good, The Board, and the Ugly
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Freakgeims wrote:

The BGG rating is about every aspect of the game. Not just the design but the components certainly are part of the rating.

If the BGG rating is about all aspects of a game, then why can a game released by two different publishers with different print runs of discrepant quality be categorized under the same umbrella? Ra is a recent one to note that has been recently released by Fantasy Flight with new issues nonexistent in previous Uberplay/Rio Grande versions. I can't rate them differently, though based on your logic that's a key component to your assertion. Thus, that must not be the case.

The designers are not in control of much of the publishing process. Many publishers will buy the rights to publish a game and never even publish it. How would you feel if your work was treated so callously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsallen wrote:
If the BGG rating is about all aspects of a game, then why can a game released by two different publishers with different print runs of discrepant quality be categorized under the same umbrella? Ra is a recent one to note that has been recently released by Fantasy Flight with new issues nonexistent in previous Uberplay/Rio Grande versions. I can't rate them differently, though based on your logic that's a key component to your assertion.

You actually can rate them differently if you want, although most people don't bother. You can have multiple ratings for a single BGG entry.

But, yeah, in practice the BGG rankings blend all of those together. If there were multiple publications of Solarius Mission, the experiences of the different users with different versions would all be combined into a single ranking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.