John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to see Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up". I thought it was great, and if you're a fan of Apatow's other stuff (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, 40-year Old Virgin), I imagine you will like it too.

I think Seth Rogen is probably the funniest young writer in Hollywood right now; he's probably not the best actor, but he really shines in the lead role as a guy who's in a situation way over his head. Also SUPERB are Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann, they both have incredible delivery, and like Rogen, they're great ad-libbers. Look for lots of hilarious "so funny they had to leave it in" one-liners.

I was also really looking forward to seeing Martin Starr and some of the other Freaks and Undeclared cast members in supporting roles, but in general, I think they were pretty weak and generic "stoner buddy" characters. They got some laughs though, especially Jason Segel, who does the "creepy friend" vibe better than anyone.

All in all, it was a great movie. Like 40YO Virgin, it falls into the "must conform to Hollywood romantic comedy formula" rut, but the laughs it gets on the way are worth it, and seem a little more honest.

Can't wait for "Superbad", and I hope to see Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd playing off each other a lot more in the future. That's a comedy duo for the ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
Thanks Cappy! I just saw 40YO Virgin and I was wondering how this would stack up. Now I'm stoked. Just have to convince my girlfriend that this will be better than Pirates III and/or Je T'aime Paris...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked out of this movie after about 40 minutes. I just wasn't enjoying it at all and I hated all of the characters.

I do think Freaks & Geeks was one of the best shows ever, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with this genre. Oh well, maybe I was just having a bad day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I watched this yesterday, and liked it. It wasn't as good as The 40-Year Old Virgin, but it maintained that delicate balance of crudity and charm that Apatow's previous film had.

I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like it, though. Rogen's character is a big loser, and "awkward" takes on a new meaning with some of the dialog exchanges. If you think "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" are awkward, wait until you see some of the husband-wife conversations that take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was ok, but only ok. I thought the best parts were the aforementioned awkward sections (especially the married couple..) which had a definite voice, and came across very naturally. Some of the interactions with the wacky friends, on the other hand were definitely forced. A fun little movie, and I think if I hadn't just seen Once (the best movie I have seen so far this year..) I would have better appreciated it.

I did love seeing Loudon Wainwright again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.