Hide
11 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
When I battle back, can a unit evade the battle back?
Otherwise, why attack with light infantry a heavy infantry?
It's always a slaughter.
I ask this coz we played the 1st scenario of base game, and Syracuse always win...
The game seems a lot random. It's like this or we mistake something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Stefano1234 wrote:
When I battle back, can a unit evade the battle back?

no, a unit cannot evade a battle back, see p13 of the rules:
Rules section 13: Evade wrote:

When being attacked in Close Combat, the defender may announce
the unit is going to Evade instead of staying and fighting
in Close Combat. Note: An attacking unit may not Evade if the
defender Battles Back.

Quote:

Otherwise, why attack with light infantry a heavy infantry?
It's always a slaughter.

You are correct. It would be poor play to attack a heavy infantry unit with light infantry. This is how it should be. Would it not be more odd to have a light unit be able to destroy a heavy unit with minimal risk to itself?

Quote:
I ask this coz we played the 1st scenario of base game, and Syracuse always win...

many of the scenarios place the players into situations similar to the historic battles they simulate. most of those battles were not balanced and once side definitely had an advantage over the other. the joy in CC:A is discovery how to work minimize the effect of the disadvantage. also, it is recommended that players play each scenario twice, swapping sides, and keeping a tally of victory banners to determine the overall winner.

Quote:
The game seems a lot random. It's like this or we mistake something?

the game has many random elements, but it is itself not random. a good player knows how to mitigate the random elements and to how make the best use of what they are given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light Infantry is best used for skirmishing. Harass the heavies with ranged shots and evade when they get close. Use them that way against elephants, too. Harassing Warrior Infantry and Barbarian Light Chariots is a great way to weaken those units by taking away a battle die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When used properly, light infantry can be the most devastating units in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
When used properly, light infantry can be the most devastating units in the game.

Would you kindly elaborate?
I don't think I ever make effective use of my light infantry.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Still a couple of questions, if a unit is in cc with 2 unit he can attack both?
He can battle back both?
With light cavalry I can wafted I wipe out a unit advance,go back and bonus attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Still a couple of questions, if a unit is in cc with 2 unit he can attack both?
No, you have to choose. After the Movement phase, ordered units that are eligible to attack can do it, once. So choose one of both targets. You can choose it at that moment, depending on other combat results, you don't need to do it during the Movement phase or beginning of Combat phase.

Stefano1234 wrote:
He can battle back both?
Yes. If your unit is attacked several times (once by several units), it can battle back every time, if eligible.

Stefano1234 wrote:
With light cavalry I can wafted I wipe out a unit advance,go back and bonus attack?
Yes, after momentum advance and maybe the one additional hex, you can attack again any adjacent unit, the same or maybe another one, your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
sduke wrote:

Would you kindly elaborate?

Some people put lights aside because they seem too weak, but these units have advantages that can make them more dangerous and effective, while difficult to use.

For example, they can evade, they have missile capability, there are more cards in the deck that order them, they move faster... I wrote a general article about probabilities in CCA:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/511600/c3i-article-availabl...

One of them was a duel between a heavy infantry unit and a light one, and the result was about 50/50!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You use light infantry to scren move of your heavy troops, weaken enemy, cut off retreat path (many times I was able to move two light 2 hex, block enemy, and move 1 hex with heavies or medium from the fron).

In general, they are essential part of the game.
- they are fast
- they evade
- they use Caltroops from Exp4
- they have biggest amount of cards to activate them
- they can move furthest (move fire move - great example; 8 hex by LC!)
- they can move through friendly units (by order light troops card)
- they have superior range attack (2d when not moving on 2 or 3 hex; only HI/MI in Julian Legion can be - barely - comparable)
- you do not cry much when they die, the psychological effect on player is minimal (try to remember how do you feel when enemy wipes out your heavies)

All in all, light units - which are greatly underestimated by many new players - and their tactics are in my opinion what makes CCA such a great game. Really, it is so well thought of, the vulnerability in close combat mitigated by other superior features. It gives me great pleasure to harass opponent and their incoming HI/MI and then quickly escape aside (move fire move) or behind (order light troops) heavies line, which then can move forward and smash weakened opponent. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're finally in a place to move your heavies forward but those dang lights are in the way. Fine. You go to take a swing at them and they just evade away losing a block or two. You can't eliminate them and you can't advance. They can really frustrate the line troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.