Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prepaid for my copy of Tide of Iron at my local store back in January. I used a Christmas gift certificate from the store that my Mother-in-Law gave me (Bless her!). It was suppose to be out at the end of January, so only a few weeks to wait. cry
After all the trials and tribulations, the game finally arrives here in the US. I go to my local store and was informed that there were not enough games to cover all the pre-orders in the first wave. My game was not delivered, but maybe will come in the second wave.
What is going on here? Is the second wave here and being distributed, or on another slow boat from China?
To wait that long, only to be denied again is a bit much to take. Come on FFG, can't we get this right after all this time. I was offered my money back, but I figured what is a little more time.
Now I want to know WHEN is this second wave coming?
If I have to wait even two more weeks, I shall take my money back and I WILL be done with FFG. Nothing personal, just a business decision on my part. There are plenty of games fighting for my table time, I really don't need to be stressing over this, but here I am.....
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can relate. I know how you feel. If the USA is not getting enough copies to fill orders, it means I'll have to wait even longer, and I placed my order way back too. The distributors generally only ship to our stores when you guys are saturated.

I have got used to getting my copy of a "new" game only after a hundred images have been uploaded, a dozen reviews written, and the focus already on the newly released expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my local shop was only able to get an allotment from the distributor, it's enough to cover the pre-orders but the owner told me he won't have any copies for the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to Tide of Iron already being delayed, we decided to not wait until the entire printrun was complete before shipping it from the factory to FFG. The factory ships out each container as they fill it, rather than filling three containers and shipping them all at once.

Due to that, Tide of Iron will be arriving in the US in three containers, each a couple weeks apart. The first container has come and gone out to distributors, and was allocated. However, there were enough that if your local store had placed their preorder with their distributor, they should have recieved at least some of their copies.

We anticipate that the next container will be here in the FFG warehouse sometime next week. It usually takes 7-10 days between the time the container arrives here in Minnesota and the time a game appears on the shelves of your FLGS in the US and Canada.

I understand your frustration with not being able to get one of the first copies, but if we hadn't done it this way, the first copies probably wouldn't have have gotten to you for another month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to local sources, the first shipment of ToI was only 1000 games total, nationwide. That means most stores got a handful of games, at most, and everyone else is just going to have to wait it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IcemanCU wrote:
According to local sources, the first shipment of ToI was only 1000 games total, nationwide. That means most stores got a handful of games, at most, and everyone else is just going to have to wait it out.

I don't want to get into specific numbers, but I can assure you that it was substantially more than that!

Best Wishes
cP
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottH wrote:
I go to my local store and was informed that there were not enough games to cover all the pre-orders in the first wave.

It's your fault for pre-ordering. You should have pre-pre-ordered. Then you could have gotten it before those fools who only pre-ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ScottH wrote:
I go to my local store and was informed that there were not enough games to cover all the pre-orders in the first wave.

It's your fault for pre-ordering. You should have pre-pre-ordered. Then you could have gotten it before those fools who only pre-ordered.

Ditto...and I'm one of many who waited to order...a week ago...so I don't even qualify for pre anything.

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Flightmaster wrote:
IcemanCU wrote:

I don't want to get into specific numbers, but I can assure you that it was substantially more than that!

Best Wishes
cP
FFG

When I see it, I'll buy it. Your company deserves no less.

Billy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not pre-order, I PREPAID. I guess, because it is a small store and I was the only prepay, we end up at the bottom of some list. It makes perfect economic sense. I still will react in the only way I can to counter this.
I'll wait my two more weeks and hope it arrives.
I guess paying in early is still no guarantee of early service.
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you in that FFG must be one of the worst companies, if not the worst, when referring to release issues.

They keep you in tip toes for months and months and months...yuk

It happens with with ALL of their games. I remember waiting for The War of the Ring expansion. Yeah, waiting for about 9, 9!! months!! It was scheduled for summer 2005, only to be released in April last year, if my memory serves me correctly.

Ok, this game was actually designed by Nexus in Italy, but with Descent, and its expansions, Warcraft, etc... is the same.

Yeah, they produce beautiful games, lots of bits, huge boxes, long gameplay(too long in my opinion, but normally worthy if you've got the time), the problem is that they NEVER release anything on the date they say. Never.

For your health, just put the games you want in the back of your head, and plan to get them about 4 months later.

Good company policies? Definitely not. It's time for them to begin being honest about release dates, for their benefit and that o their customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottH wrote:
I did not pre-order, I PREPAID. I guess, because it is a small store and I was the only prepay, we end up at the bottom of some list. It makes perfect economic sense. I still will react in the only way I can to counter this.
I'll wait my two more weeks and hope it arrives.
I guess paying in early is still no guarantee of early service.
ScottH.

Not trying to be rude here (I definitely feel for you) but are you sure that your boardgame store ordered enough copies from FFG to satisfy all of their pre-orders? I guess what I am asking here is if it may be possible that this is your gamestore's fault?

I guess delays don't bother me all that much because I was into PC games (i.e. "personal computer", not "political correctness"! a lot longer than I've been into board games, so I'm used to simply waiting until a game comes out.

I'm not necessarily defending FFG - my opinion is that any company making a game or any product should just not release any date until they are very very sure (almost positive) that the game will be released by a certain date. But then again, I'd rather have a delay and have a well produced/created/playtested game than a flawed one. I'm too used to computer games that get rushed out the door by their publisher too early and they're little better than in a beta state.

Anyway, cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
Not trying to be rude here (I definitely feel for you) but are you sure that your boardgame store ordered enough copies from FFG to satisfy all of their pre-orders? I guess what I am asking here is if it may be possible that this is your gamestore's fault?

He had stated that he was the only pre-order...so unless the store got a total of 0 copies, I have to assume it was the gamestores fault. Based on what he had said initially, I think that his gamestore received 0 copies of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:

We anticipate that the next container will be here in the FFG warehouse sometime next week. It usually takes 7-10 days between the time the container arrives here in Minnesota and the time a game appears on the shelves of your FLGS in the US and Canada.

I did not preorder or prepay for TOI (glad I did not at this point). However, I am looking forward to picking this up when it is available on store shelves. I think it is safe to say central Indiana doesn't have TOI.

Since it is very evident all of the people who did prepay and preorder have not gotten their copies (and rightfully should be the first), I think it is fair to say the game is not 'out yet'. How about FFG stop alluding to TOI being available June 1st when we all know it really isn't? Based on what JeremyFFG stated, the second wave might not hit shelves before 6/18 if you factor 10 days past the end of next week.

I am not sure if it is better to say it will be readily available in the middle of June then say it is out now but you can't have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
June 6th would be a good day to release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part - and even with the odd game of theirs I *really* don't like (WoW: TBG) FFG clearly takes care to create quality components, boxes and delivers a Big Ass box of chrome bits for your money.

For the most part, their games have been superb and without equal. To me, FFG is the superior good in this market place. Yes, their competitors have their moment - but FFG is consistently the company others want to be.

If that means their products ship later than initially indicated - I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. I will buy them as soon as they are available - and happily so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny how people differ. I like the quality of FFG games, and have bought a few (20 games as I type this), but none of them have really impressed me. War of the Ring is good, but there have been several disappointments for me (Marvel Heroes more recently). For all round quality components, Days of Wonder would get my vote. Queen Games probably coming second.

I am hoping that Tide of Iron will be a FFG game I really like, and I have equally high hopes for Wings of War: Dawn of War and Tannhäuser. I will definitely purchase all three. I have no problem buying their games, but my favorite 10 or 20 games at present would not include one of theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel_Wind wrote:

If that means their products ship later than initially indicated - I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. I will buy them as soon as they are available - and happily so.

Not talking about the quality of their games here(which is really good), but the fact that they consistently fail to deliver THEIR products by the date THEY say they will do.
Again and again and again.

Their games are very well developed, carefully planned and crafted. Is it so hard to ask them to use a bit of the same measures when dealing with release dates? ALL of their games are postponed, for months. Have they not realized it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
It's funny how people differ. I like the quality of FFG games, and have bought a few (20 games as I type this), but none of them have really impressed me. War of the Ring is good, but there have been several disappointments for me (Marvel Heroes more recently). For all round quality components, Days of Wonder would get my vote. Queen Games probably coming second.

Four of my top ten are FFG games. (though more properly stated, I think two of those are Italy's Nexus games published in NA by FFG). Unlike you, I enjoyed Marvel Heroes a lot - but I do acknowledge the positioning on the board seems to make it seem less a board game and more a card game with chrome. I would have preferred a game that put tactical positioning in the districts of NYC to mean something during gameplay.

I prefer Game of Thrones to War of the Ring (because I like 4 to 6 player games and love GRR Martin); and Arkham Horror is just an **excellent** game and the best example of a cooperative boardgame on the market, imo. As a solo game - it's not even half bad.

The only reason I don't have a similar high opinion of Twilight Imperium is simply because I have not had a chance to play it yet. (I hope to remedy that this summer).

I have great hopes in Tide of Iron. I played the game during development briefly last Gencon and I knew that this game would set a new standard of fusing modern board game design with wargames. I didn't think of it in AT + Wargames terms then - but I do now.

What can I say? FFG makes the kinds of games that I want to play and own. Given the dominance of their games on the shelves and in the market place - I'm not alone. I've come to realize that while I like Euros - I LOVE AT. And FFG is certainly the heart and soul of AT.

I take the so-called "delays" in bringing their games to market nothing more than FFG's attention to detail in components and art - with a good deal of rules' tweaking as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Robert, thanks for taking my comments so well.

I have to admit that I have not ever tried Twilight Imperium, nor Arkham Horror (which I own), nor A Game of Thrones. Thus, you could argue that I have not seen the best of FFG. My most played FFG titles would be Fury of Dracula, Blue Moon City and Drakon. These are popular with my family.

With Marvel Heroes, I let my imagination decide what the game would be like instead of paying attention to the detail available. I suppose I set myself up for disappointment really. The horrible board I got with the paper lifted clean off (and wrinkled up) in large areas didn't help my impression of the game. All credit to FFG though, as they promptly shipped out a replacement board.

I love it when people are keen and positive as you are. It makes me want to give FFG games another try, which is what anyone should want from games they have purchased. I will keep buying FFG games, and I may yet find one that blows my hair back. I think I will like Tide of Iron, but my feeling is that TannHauser will really appeal to me. Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lawn
United Kingdom
Llangefni
Anglesey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

I think that was 1000 games to Alliance Distribution - which is certainly the largest national distributor, but not the only one.

Quote:

How many was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am used to PC game releases and the slippage of the release date they usually have. I would rather the company, PC Game or Board Game, do it right and release a quality product.

I have read that FFG saw a problem with some boards warping in the pre-release copies, so they delayed ToI and redid the boards. I want to thank FFG for deciding to delay ToI so they can fix a possible problem. I am glad that they are striving to provide me with a quality game even if it takes a little longer.

I am glad FFG decided to have the printers ship ToI as soon a container is full rather then wait for the entire shipment to be complete. My FLGS is supposed to get ToI on Wed from their distributor. If I am lucky enough to get a copy from the first shipment then great. If not, then I will get ToI in a few weeks when it is available again. I have plenty of other games to play until I get ToI.

I appreciate FFG providing the information that they do about upcoming releases. I view the release date as a "we would like to have it to you" date. What I really keep an eye on is the status of their upcoming games.
* "At the Printer" - I know it will only be another few months, maybe.
* "On the Boat" - tells me that it will probably be about a month or so.
* "Shipping Now" or "On the Shelves" - means my FLGS either has it or will have with in the next week or so.
FFG does not have to provide this information and I really appreciate the information and updates that they do provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all waiting patiently for this one. Many of us (like myself) did preorder (and paid) this one early on!-(like beginning months of this year)

I know FFG prob missed most (if not all) their "launch dates" but like software launches, boardgames go through many facets of the development and shipping process. Sure I was more disappointed and groaning about them delaying this game due to "warping boards" but, I would expect no less! I don't want a game produced and shoved out the door to have many customer complaints down the road! (That is good quality control.... I just wish more companies would do the same!)

I think instead of griping about delays and preorders and such, we should enjoy this game as it becomes available and relax and enjoy other games that are available to us now (like Marvel Heroes, Warrior Knights w/expansion, Wings of War minis, and Descent)... and other titles like AOE III, Colosseum, Battle Lore, etc. Many great games out there!

OK, I feel better ....so, where is my copy of TOI already!?!?!? (lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clinger
United States
Rossford
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How many was it?

They have a picture of the full truck on their rants page
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/rants.html
Assuming that it was a standard 40'x8'x9.5' shipping container, like they showed late last year (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/rants2006b.html scroll down to the 10/12 entry) I would say 21 games tall by 7 games wide by about 18 games deep would be about 2,500 games in the first shipment.
2,500 times 3 containers would be about 7,500 games on the first run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks like I am going to have to have to wait until the next shipment. My FLGS was supposed to get ToI in today but his distributor told him that they only got a partial shipment.

I guess I still have something to look forward to for a few more weeks and will just have to play some of the games I already have until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.