London Dread» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rule questions after my first try rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I assume that I may use items even if my character doesn't investigate a card right now to help another character, correct?

For example another character investigates a plot card and that player may use virtue tokens, items and the investigation deck. Even if I do not take part in the investigation I may use the rifle which grants 2 impact to any one character in my area. I know the answer is obvious but after reading the rulebook I had the impression that I may only use items if "it's my turn/I take action".

EDIT: Another example: I may use the virtue token of Murphy anytime to ready an item which could affect another character?

Murphys promo lets him ready an item at his location, could he use it so another character may use the same item 2 times at an endgame challenge?

2. As already stated items sometimes affect characters at my location/area. Ansger answered in another thread that characters are considered to be at the same area for the endgame but are they also in the same location as they are on the same space although they take action individually?

3. In "The letter" some challenges say "All discard 1 confidence" after failing. All 4 characters take part in the challenge and the first character fails, 4 cards could be discarded after he/she fails but dread cards are not affected, correct?

Side Note: After reading the newest version of the rulebook I had no problem to figure out most of the stuff. Somewhere could be mentioned that plot cards are discarded after investigating them and I had some problems to figure out what the talent of my character was, that each character has a talent and trauma card. Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin!

Thanks for your questions.

Unless an item or effect specifies that it can be used on "a character at your location", it can only be used to boost your own character. E.g. Murhpy's virtue can only ready one of your own items. His Gloves, however, may ready an item not belonging to you (but at the same Location as you, e.g. N2, S4, E5 etc.)

The Rifle may assist any Character in your Area so North, South etc.

Effects that say "All" affect all characters no matter where they are, e.g the bottom tier of the Baker Brown Plot card.

In the case of the Endgame Challenge card, all players must discard a Confidence card only if they have one in hand.

Hope this answers your questions.

Happy gaming!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Asger, thanks for answering my questions but well... they still exist^^
I know you are really helpfull in this forum and in real life (I observated a match at the games fair in Essen and I recently noticed that I am on a picture at your facebook page ;P)

I will try to be more precise this time and start with an easy question:

- If a fail effect of an endgame challenge card says "All discard 1 confidence" I do not need to discard a dread card which I received from the investigation deck if I do not own any confidence card, correct?

- This is a little bit more tricky, would this be valid: A character faces an endgame challenge and uses the Book of Spells item. May Murphy use several virtue tokens to ready his Gloves (promo item) which allows him to ready an item at his location? This would mean the character which gets help by Murphy could use the Book of Spells several times during the SAME challenge!

(I wasn't sure if characters are considered to be at the same location if facing endgame challenges/the antagonist)

(I further wasn't sure if Murphy may use his virtue tokens and item several times during another players endgame challenge, those are faced individually. It was also a question regarding the timing of items/virtue tokens)

Those 2 points in the brackets made me wonder if the example would be valid

EDIT: Underlined my questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beside those 2 questions another questions arose.

End of a Chapter page 12 step 7: Ready your items
End of a Chapter page 12 step 8: Begin the Endgame
Endgame Challenges page 13 step 1: Ready your items

It seems your items are readied 2 times before the first Endgame Challenge.
Tonic item: Gain 1 confidence

My question: If I already used the tonic item in the last chapter, could I still use it before the endgame (step 7) and get another confidence before the investigation deck is distributed an again during the first endgame challenge?

I would be glad if all 3 questions would be answered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions 4: Regarding goons

You do not roll a die in scenario 4 as you begin in the west streets of london, correct?

You are just in the streets of the corresponding area if you didn't place any token in the clock or if you placed an arrow, correct?

Is it possible to investigate/place a token in the clock at a location which card wasn't revealed or already investigated to prevent beeing at the streets?

What if I walk away from a card if I cancel the investigation?
Is my character placed back in the streets and he/she has to face a goon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 5: Page 11 of the rulebook says you may never have more than 12 virtue tokens among you.

What if all confidence/item cards are discarded and I need to draw one?
Would the discard piles be shuffled and a new decks created?

Some items have an effect on the discard pile therefore I ask if this pile would be shuffled and create a new item deck if no more items are available.

What if no more confidence card can be drawn and no one is in the discard pile, bad luck? (Maybe you had several impeccable investigations)

PS. I am usually an analytical person (I studied engineering and worked for some time as consultant) and competitive, I also manage to win 60-70% of my Eldritch Horror games but yesterday I lost all my 4 games of the letter. I know there are several items which especially help during the final showdown but I was ALWAYS 1 die short. First I needed 9 dice, then 8, 6, 5 dice. It was funny but also dreadful (what's again the name of this game) to see that my investigations become better but at the same time I had much more bad luck at rolling the dice. I won't continue until I beat every scenario (in order) and i do not want to make this game simpler (see the hints on rhe last page).

Maybe I should wait and do not play it alone as my girlfriend is much better at rolling dice (mojo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see if I can answer your questions better this time

If a fail effect of an endgame challenge card says "All discard 1 confidence" I do not need to discard a dread card which I received from the investigation deck if I do not own any confidence card, correct?

CORRECT

This is a little bit more tricky, would this be valid: A character faces an endgame challenge and uses the Book of Spells item. May Murphy use several virtue tokens to ready his Gloves (promo item) which allows him to ready an item at his location? This would mean the character which gets help by Murphy could use the Book of Spells several times during the SAME challenge!

THAT IS VALID

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:

My question: If I already used the tonic item in the last chapter, could I still use it before the endgame (step 7) and get another confidence before the investigation deck is distributed an again during the first endgame challenge?

The rulebook is not 100% correct there.

The idea is that you ready your Items before each Chapter, before each Challenge and before the Final Showdown (rolling dice at the very end).

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

The rulebook is not 100% correct there.

The idea is that you ready your Items before each Chapter, before each Challenge and before the Final Showdown (rolling dice at the very end).

Asger

Okay, so I couldn't use the Tonic Item twice (step 7 doesn't happen before the endgame as the items are readied before each challenge)

Thank you for answering the first 3 questions out of 5.

I really like it if designer answer in this forums as you do!
That's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:

You do not roll a die in scenario 4 as you begin in the west streets of london, correct?

You are just in the streets of the corresponding area if you didn't place any token in the clock or if you placed an arrow, correct?

Is it possible to investigate/place a token in the clock at a location which card wasn't revealed or already investigated to prevent beeing at the streets?

Again, thanks for the questions. Here goes:

1: Correct

2: Correct

3: Yes

4: You would have to face a Goons card

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
Question 5: Page 11 of the rulebook says you may never have more than 12 virtue tokens among you.

What if all confidence/item cards are discarded and I need to draw one?
Would the discard piles be shuffled and a new decks created?

Some items have an effect on the discard pile therefore I ask if this pile would be shuffled and create a new item deck if no more items are available.

What if no more confidence card can be drawn and no one is in the discard pile, bad luck? (Maybe you had several impeccable investigations)

PS. I am usually an analytical person (I studied engineering and worked for some time as consultant) and competitive, I also manage to win 60-70% of my Eldritch Horror games but yesterday I lost all my 4 games of the letter. I know there are several items which especially help during the final showdown but I was ALWAYS 1 die short. First I needed 9 dice, then 8, 6, 5 dice. It was funny but also dreadful (what's again the name of this game) to see that my investigations become better but at the same time I had much more bad luck at rolling the dice. I won't continue until I beat every scenario (in order) and i do not want to make this game simpler (see the hints on rhe last page).

Maybe I should wait and do not play it alone as my girlfriend is much better at rolling dice (mojo)

Hi Martin,

If the Item and Confidence decks run out, they are not reshuffled.

Happy to hear you play by the spirit of the game and don't skip to next Story without beating the former one first ;-)

Happy gaming!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thank you for all the support.
I hope the next time I see you in Essen there will be an expansion for London Dread

This will be my last question within the next days otherwise I'll invite you to a german beer next year in Essen!

I do not want to repeat myself but this is interesting.
Just to be sure I got it right.

As you see I am far away from scenario 4 but I already read the setup (not the story).

I will always face a goon if I change the area because I will end up in the streets.

BUT

As far as I can see I should always put any token(no arrow) in the clock so I won't end in the streets.

There are 4 scenarios:

- I will investigate an empty space because the card was already investigated -> no goon

- I will investigate a card which wasn't flipped (red back) -> no goon (storywise it's probably the same as investigating an empty space, I won't find anything)

- I will investigate a card and win -> no goon

- I will investigate a card and abort the test -> It's still the same time but this time my medallion will not stay at the location but be immediately placed in the streets and after the failed investigation I will face the goon at the same time at the clock? This will result in 2 investigations at the same time slot of the clock!?

Best regards,

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
Lublang wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thank you for all the support.
I hope the next time I see you in Essen there will be an expansion for London Dread

This will be my last question within the next days otherwise I'll invite you to a german beer next year in Essen!

I do not want to repeat myself but this is interesting.
Just to be sure I got it right.

As you see I am far away from scenario 4 but I already read the setup (not the story).

I will always face a goon if I change the area because I will end up in the streets.

BUT

As far as I can see I should always put any token(no arrow) in the clock so I won't end in the streets.

There are 4 scenarios:

- I will investigate an empty space because the card was already investigated -> no goon

- I will investigate a card which wasn't flipped (red back) -> no goon (storywise it's probably the same as investigating an empty space, I won't find anything)

- I will investigate a card and win -> no goon

- I will investigate a card and abort the test -> It's still the same time but this time my medallion will not stay at the location but be immediately placed in the streets and after the failed investigation I will face the goon at the same time at the clock? This will result in 2 investigations at the same time slot of the clock!?

Best regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I too hope that the expansion will be ready for Essen. We are working on it ;-)

Your assumptions about the Goons are all correct. I.e. you will face them when placing an arrow, but you can avoid them by making sure your clock is never empty (though going to face-down Locations could be wasting precious time).

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures on the mean streets of London!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
Hi Martin,

I too hope that the expansion will be ready for Essen. We are working on it ;-)

Hi Asger, it's great to hear that you are at least working on it and there is more to come :^)

Lublang wrote:
Your assumptions about the Goons are all correct. I.e. you will face them when placing an arrow, but you can avoid them by making sure your clock is never empty (though going to face-down Locations could be wasting precious time).

If my assumptions are all correct I will face them if placing an arrow, if not placing a token at all OR IF WALKING WAWAY from a card which will result in a second investigation "during the turn" by facing the goon.

Walking away sounds as if your character would leave the location and be placed in the streets of the area although the rulebook doesn't mention it.
It isn't important except for scenario 4 and I think it should be mentioned somewhere.

Lublang wrote:
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures on the mean streets of London!

Asger

I hope that I'll survive

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Asger,

after a VERY long game night yesterday, I managed to beat all scenarios.
I loved the antagonist(s) of scenario 3, the artwork and their abilities.
I'd be disappointed if no expansion would come after the ending in scenario 4

There are 8 last questions which appeared as I played:

Question 6: I know in the rulebook is written that if effects happen at the same time, I may choose the order.
Would this example be valid: Murphy has already 1 item and draws his talent which lets him draw another item and if he has at least 2 items, he has to discard 1 of them. Would it be allowed to interrupt the resolution of the talent as I drew the item and deplete 1 of them so I would only have 1 in my hand and there would be no need to discard an item? (I wasn't sure if I had to fully resolve the talent before I could deplete an item)

Question 7: The goons are stressing me again. You already clarified that if I place a number in the clock and if I place my medallion at a face down card, a location without a card or if I pass an investigation (plot or dread card) my medallion stays there. If I abort/walk away I have to head back to the streets and face a goon.

There was 1 scenario which wasn't considered and it happened as I put any numbers in all spare places of all clocks so I wouldn't have to face those goons.

My character was at a location of a plot card he wasn't allowed to investigate (the plot card before wasn't investigated/wrong time segment).
As he wasn't allowed investigate should he walk away/abort the investigation and place his medallion in the streets and face a goon?

8: If all 3 Weaknesses/Secrets of Calypso have been exposed, my team gets an auto-success at the final showdown. On each of those 3 cards is also written that each of my characters rolls an extra action die against goons. If I exposed all 3 cards, does this effect stacks 3 times i.e. each investigator rolls 3 additional dice against goons.

9: If I have to face a goon, may I take a look at the goon card before I decide to fight/flee. It isn't explictly written in the story guide.

10: If I fail a challenge Calypso lets me discard a card from my hand. This includes dread cards, confidence cards AND item cards, correct? I may choose which one of them.

11.1: I am sure I read somewhere that if I would gain several items, I could draw all items at first before distributing them between all characters, correct?

11.2: If I would gain a random item, I could draw and flip it before deciding which character gets it, correct?

12: If I fail at the Baker Brown Plot Card, ALL investigators roll trauma. All investigators at the plot card or all investigators in the game?

13: Sometimes the timing to use items can be a little bit irritating. If I get the tonic item at the last plot card of scenario 2 (chapter 1), does the chapter immediately ends or am I allowed to use the item at the very last moment to get 1 confidence and afterwards it's readied for chapter 2?

Sorry for so many questions...
As I already beat the game and I know all cards, I am pretty sure this ones are the last ones.
Thank you for creating this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.