Subject: Nice Upgrades Added to KS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to check the Kickstarter page (it's ending in a day or so)and was pleasantly surprised to see the company added some really nice upgrades to the package including better boats, fish meeples and a few other things.

I just backed it and thought others here might be interested too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlocking all the stretch goals was a brilliant move. No one wanted just half of the unlocked fish meeples! It certainly was the reason I backed it. The component upgrades really are a nice improvement over the original edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped on, too, and I'm a kickstarter-naysayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always disliked KS projects that partially release important content. So I've avoided this one, just keeping it as a "Saved Project". I'd love to own another of Hisashi Hayashi's games, but (amongst other things) EGG shipping costs just completely put me off ($14 on a $29 game, despite shipping from a UK distribution centre). I'll wait for retail and pick it up cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I've always disliked KS projects that partially release important content. So I've avoided this one, just keeping it as a "Saved Project". I'd love to own another of Hisashi Hayashi's games, but (amongst other things) EGG shipping costs just completely put me off ($14 on a $29 game, despite shipping from a UK distribution centre). I'll wait for retail and pick it up cheaper.

I know what you mean - I wasn't thrilled with the shipping either when it first started, plus I have pulled back on Kickstarters in general. However,
I think the art/components look really nice on this one and I figured the recent upgrades made it worthwhile to check out. One way or the other, I hope we get to see it on tables soon. 8-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I know what you mean - I wasn't thrilled with the shipping either when it first started, plus I have pulled back on Kickstarters in general. However,
I think the art/components look really nice on this one and I figured the recent upgrades made it worthwhile to check out. One way or the other, I hope we get to see it on tables soon. 8-)
I agree on the look of it - I prefer the look to what TMG have done to Yokohama, which I'm very disappointed by. And I think $29 is a very good price for the deluxe version. But I'm not so convinced that $43 is a good deal. I could get At the Gates of Loyang for that sort of money and that game has a metric boatload of wooden bits. (And then there's my reticence over doing business with EGG...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as others. I really like the game after playing it with the designer at Essen 2 years ago, but I am having trouble figuring out the benefit of paying 6 months early when it will likely be cheaper in retail. EGG is an established player, so they don't pull at my KS helping-heart strings.

Is there any clarity on what will be the difference between KS and retail? Is it just the Deluxe boats (which I don't like that much) or will the Fish-eeples by exclusive to KS also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi M.C. & Graham!
I am not sure what differences might exist between the KS and retail versions, but I liked the look and theme of it enough to back it even if something changes with retail pricing later. That said, I am in the US and the shipping is a bit less of an issue here so I understand your points. On a somewhat related note, and very likely an influence on my decision to back, I have been on a big Traders of Osaka jag lately, so I am really itching to see what Isaribi ultimately looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no correlation between cost of game and cost of shipping. It's all based on weight/box size. Game price has nothing to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. I think the topic was largely around total price to the customer as opposed to cost to produce, cost to ship, etc.

PS: Nice avatar - MST3k is a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
Understood. I think the topic was largely around total price to the customer as opposed to cost to produce, cost to ship, etc.

Just wanted to point that out since I hear it a lot with complaints on shipping costs. The problem is Amazon is teaching people to expect super low shipping costs but everyone else has to pay a lot higher costs. You will not believe how expensive it is to ship a game since its not just the shipping from the warehouse. There's the shipping from China on boats. But there's the trucking costs to get them to the docks, then from the destination port to warehouses, then to final destination. There's so many hidden costs no one realizes.

So I don't want to come off mean, but I guess I'm sensitive to that since my own Kickstarter had a huge, huge shipping bill and most people don't understand just how costly it is to fulfill a product.

Glad you like my avatar, I'm a huge fan. Just watching a Rifftrax movie right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, that makes sense. I am hopeful that posting the news about the upgrades helps make other subscribers aware so they can get in at the last second in case they are interested.

BTW, In case anybody is wondering, I am not connected with the company at all. I just think this is a nice looking game that got good last second sweeteners and others who were on the fence might want to know too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
schemaman wrote:

Just wanted to point that out since I hear it a lot with complaints on shipping costs. The problem is Amazon is teaching people to expect super low shipping costs but everyone else has to pay a lot higher costs. You will not believe how expensive it is to ship a game since its not just the shipping from the warehouse. There's the shipping from China on boats. But there's the trucking costs to get them to the docks, then from the destination port to warehouses, then to final destination. There's so many hidden costs no one realizes.

So I don't want to come off mean, but I guess I'm sensitive to that since my own Kickstarter had a huge, huge shipping bill and most people don't understand just how costly it is to fulfill a product.

Glad you like my avatar, I'm a huge fan. Just watching a Rifftrax movie right now.

Scott, I think you are missing the point. It is not about shipping costs being too high and what amazon may/or may not have conditioned people to expect.

I know shipping costs are [justifiably] high, so i am just trying to understand why I just don't wait till it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gerwalker wrote:
ScottE wrote:
schemaman wrote:

Scott, I think you are missing the point. It is not about shipping costs being too high and what amazon may/or may not have conditioned people to expect.

I know shipping costs are [justifiably] high, so i am just trying to understand why I just don't wait till it hits retail.

That's a good point, as far as I know, now that all the stretch goals are unlocked, the only thing you get that retail doesn't get is the fancy ship meeple upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, I understand that shipping costs can be itemised and therefore justified. I just can't square these justifications with how my local online retailer can sell the item at a lower total cost - after all, they have to get the game into the UK too. I'm often happy to support an indie publisher by paying a premium price, but not EGG. I'm afraid that I'd rather see my money contribute to my local economy than directly go abroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.