Subject: Maydays new 2017 board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wey Scoggin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a crokinole board from Mayday at bggcon this year, and they are kickstarter bag limited amount of them right now. I thought that I should take the time to give my honest feedback.
I have played on two different types of crokinole boards:
1. Every year I play the bgg crokinole boards in the dexterity space of the con.
2. I have an entry level board I bought on amazon for around $150

The bgg boards are always incredible and are themed to the year. They are solid round boards and are definitely high quality.
The board I have at home is not round on the outer edge but rather straight edged.

Pros and cons of the Mayday board.
The round outer edge wouldn't seem like a very necessary feature, but once you have played a round bordered board you will recognize how much it contributes to a consistent shot.
The look of the board is fine but nowhere near what you would have with a custom painted board. It would be similar to. It's comparable to buying the nicer premade kitchen cabinets, compared to having a local cabinet maker make some for you.

That would also be the take away I think you should have from this review.
If you are interested in playing crokinole, the Mayday board is where you need to start. If you want an extremely nice board, buy a $400-$500 board and learn to play competitively. The gameplay experience will be the same, but you'll have a piece of art with the nicer boards. If you just want to have a great gaming experience with a more than adequately constructed board go with mayday's board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, $400-500 would be a LOT for a board. Muzzies and Willard (generally considered some of the best in the world) are 1/2 that - especially with the current weakness of the Canadian $
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
Wow, $400-500 would be a LOT for a board. Muzzies and Willard (generally considered some of the best in the world) are 1/2 that - especially with the current weakness of the Canadian $

Yeah I just ordered a Muzzie and it was base price $209 CAD (approx $160 USD) with shipping it came to just over $200 USD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when you take in the favorable exchange rate, Muzzies are a pretty fair price especially for the board you are getting.
I do wish Mayday luck with their endeavors of trying to fill a niche of a good playable board for a lower price. I would be interested in their score keeper box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
telos81 wrote:

Yeah I just ordered a Muzzie and it was base price $209 CAD (approx $160 USD) with shipping it came to just over $200 USD.

Yeah...even a Hilinski is $250 shipped and those are one-of-a-kind boards...still, a good $99 board would be fine, provided it doesn's have all the manufacturing flaws that Mayday boards have had in the past....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.