Subject: Wine Technologist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pay 3 lira to either gain 1 wine in your cellar or age 1 grape on your crush pad up to 3 times"

Does the "up to 3 times" apply to only aging grapes? or both benefits? If it applies to both benefits, can you mix-and-match, say gain 1 wine and age 2 grapes. Other visitor cards and the rulebook capitalize "OR" to separate 2 independent clauses. This card does not.

Also do you have to pay 3 lira for each benefit, paying 9 Lira total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuzzydeath wrote:
"Pay 3 lira to either gain 1 wine in your cellar or age 1 grape on your crush pad up to 3 times"

Does the "up to 3 times" apply to only aging grapes? or both benefits? If it applies to both benefits, can you mix-and-match, say gain 1 wine and age 2 grapes. Other visitor cards and the rulebook capitalize "OR" to separate 2 independent clauses. This card does not.

That's an interesting question, I'd always read it as:

1. Pay 3 lira, and then

a. Put 1 wine in my cellar, OR
b. Age 1 grape up to 3 times.

But you are correct, its nomenclature of not capitalizing the OR puts this in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuzzydeath wrote:

You pay 3 lira total, then either:

a) gain a single wine of value 1 in your cellar

or

b) age 1 grape on your crush pad up to 3 times

Edit: In almost all cases, the capitalized OR is used to separate double options, i.e. do A and B OR c and D. There are several cards that separate single options with lower caps "or".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it logically it has to be 1 wine in your cellar or age 3 times simply because it's not possible to gain 3 level one wines in your cellar. You could only possibly gain 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question, Mike. In this case, it's correct that OR is not capitalized, because they're not two independent clauses. The second clause depends on the prefix of "Pay 3 lira," with the key word being "either." Reverend's explanation is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Other question: can Jon Snow (wine technologist) age a grape PAST another grape. If you want to age your 3 red to a 6 red, but you also have a 5 red, does that impede you by preventing the 2nd upgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas: Nope, grapes don't impede other grapes (as long as they're not trying to occupy the exact same spot on the crush pad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks, Jamey! But doesn't the phrasing "age one grape on your crush pad up to 3 times" mean at some point I AM trying to occupy the exact same space as another grape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how you might interpret it that way, but really it's just saying "add +3 to the value of the grape, but if that spot is occupied, add +2 instead, and if that spot is occupied, add +1". I just couldn't fit that on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
potzertommy wrote:
Other question: can Jon Snow (wine technologist) age a grape PAST another grape. If you want to age your 3 red to a 6 red, but you also have a 5 red, does that impede you by preventing the 2nd upgrade?

I just looked at the picture and LMAO it does resemble the season 7 version of Jon Snow! laugh Presumably he is having drinks with Tyrion

Seriously, I came to this thread to check whether or not "age 1 grape on your crush pad up to 3 times" meant:

a) Pick 1 sole grape and add +1, +2, or +3 to its value as allowable (i.e. capped by other tokens or by the limit of 9)

or

b) Add +1 three times to any grapes that you have (e.g. could be the same grape +3 or three different grapes +1)

Having read through the earlier replies, I believe the correct interpretation is (a).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohn: It would be neat to have a Tyrion visitor card.

You are correct about (a)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It would be neat to have a Tyrion visitor card.

Allow me:

Drunken Dwarf

Pay 1 white, 1 red, 1 blush and 1 sparkling wine to gain 1 residual VP.

After all, having Tyrion on your side seems to be worth his weight in wine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.