Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had to pick only four planes to purchase, which would they be?
I would like variety in battles with the four planes.

I love how the Richthofen's DR.I came out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffer Batica
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most popular ones (at least in terms of sales) are Barker, Udet, Richthofen, and Rahn, if that's any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats like opening a new bag of "chips" and only eating 4 then putting the bag away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well out of the twelve I have, my 4 favorite paint jobs are:
- Udet
- Von Richtofen
- Fonk
- Rickenbaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
And for a completely unscientific official survey, these are the ones that have proved most popular in our shop:

Spad
Elwood
Udet
von Richtofen

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richthofen, Fonck, Weber, Ellwood--one of each plane type. This is strictly on aesthetics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Well out of the twelve I have, my 4 favorite paint jobs are:
- Udet
- Von Richtofen
- Fonk
- Rickenbaker

Although I don't have my 12 pre-orders yet (they're being held up by my Tide of Iron pre-order), dittos to the four Walt selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're more focused on "variety of battles" than on paint jobs, I'd probably go with 2 camels and 1 each of the German planes.

In a 2 or 4 player game, the SPADs have a hard time having fun-- fast but just too slow to turn around.

In a bigger game, they can run into enough targets and their speed helps get them out of trouble. (At the Nashcon demos last weekend, there were NO SPADS shot down in about 9 scenarios (where they appeared) and they did do a fair amount of shooting and scoring... but never with fewer than 7 planes in the air.)

But for 4 players, those would be my choices.

For color schemes, I'd probably pick the Belgian camel and Ellwood, just for the big difference in how they look, and Udet or and either non-red Triplane. No knock on v R, but he can't be everywhere, and a slightly less "one of a kind" plane seems better for gaming a lot of things to me. And, Fwiw, I believe they've erred on the paint scheme-- one source says the only ALL red tripe he ever few was the one he died in, with small balken crosses on it. While I always liked the "throwback" insignia on early Tripes-- using the white background and iron cross like 1916, I know the allied written reports about his death specifically mention the plane having "small black crosses." Yes, I'm looking on line at a photo that says, "reproduction of vR's red triplane, #425/17," which is the one he died in. It shows the white backed iron crosses AND A WHITE NOSE and white wheel hubs. Hmm. (But there are quite a few toy triplanes painted that same way.)

Unfortunately, the 4 photos I've seen of his plane after his last flight already had most of the fabric stripped for souveniers.

Anyway, not trying to start a big controversy. Picking 4 is a matter of opinion and aesthics. Udet's plane pairs more nicely with Kempf's (which may be the coolest plane of all, given the writing on the middle wing) because their crosses suggest they're both working in 1917. Rahn pairs better with Weber, in capturing the 1918 look. Jentsch's Alb is an enigma-- the wing paint scheme is more like early DIII standards, but he has the Balkan cross. Not disagreeing, it's just odd. (But it's also beautiful!). It is interesting that they picked two yellow-bodied paint schemes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice:
-von Richthofen
-Udet
-Elwood
-Rickenbecker

In this way you have all four planes from series one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice:
-von Richthofen
-Udet
-Elwood
-Rickenbecker

In this way you have all four planes from series one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von Richthofen
Udet
Barker
Rickenbecker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well I opted for Elwood, Fonk, von Rich and Udet. Although on reflection I might have swapped Elwood for Barker (to have 4 different planes from the FA set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Duckman
Netherlands
Groenlo
GLD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Red Baron, Weber, Olieslagers, Fonck would be my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maschler
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked my FLGS to order these four for me:

Manfred von Richtofen (Fokker DR I)
Ernst Udet (Albatross D. Va)
William Barker (Sopwith Camel)
Eddie Rickenbacker (SPAD XIII)

I love these minis. I think Udet's Albatross is my favorite but they are all amazing. I like them so much that I'm going to try and get the following four wingmen for them.

Fritz Kempf (Fokker DR I)
Ludwig Weber (Albatross D. Va)
Aubrey Beauclerk Ellwood (Sopwith Camel)
Rene Paul Fonck (SPAD XIII)

I am very excited to see more World War I planes and pilots in the miniatures. I hope Dawn of War is successful but I don't want it to draw too much attention away from the "knights of the air."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.