Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I was able to give this a try when a friend (another Star Trek fan) bought it and we all sat around the television. Yes, the television...

The story was that the players were the only crew aboard the Enterprise when a crazy Klingon (are there any other kind?) steals it in order to touch off a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. He also sees it as a fringe benefit that he will die a glorious death -- you're not too thrilled about the idea though. You have a certain amount of time to go around the ship to stop him.

Basically a roll-and-move game, the thing that made this game cool was the video tape. The actor that played "Gowron" on Star Trek: Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (the one with the crazy eyes) played Kavok to the hilt. You'd be moving around the board and the TV would be displaying the time remaining and then he'd come up on the screen.

"You! The one that just moved! Experience BiJ!"

Then you'd have to take a BiJ (punishment) card, which usually meant something nasty for your crewman. Sometimes he's yell at you longer. It was pretty fun, but more than a little corny.

I remember thinking after we played it that it was fun but I'm glad I didn't pay for the thing. I see them at thrift stores from time to time and I think they're pretty cheap on ebay. I would suggest this for someone hosting a party or something, but the novelty would wear off quickly. I'm giving this a three with reservations: I had a lot of fun playing it, but it's really one of those "play with the right people" games and it wouldn't stand up to repeat plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you find the game's difficulty? Especially compared to other VCR games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrel Lohr
United States
Lusk
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The replay value of the game (at least via the lens of nostalgic hindsight) isn't all that bad. Sure, you get so that you know when Kavok will appear and you'll memorize the dialogue, but the game does play a little bit differently each time depending on the circumstances of play.

It isn't something you would break out every month -- maybe once a year or something. I haven't played the game in many, many years, but I still remember it as being pretty fun. It is more interesting and "challenging" (read: harder to win) the more players you have, since the game is essentially timed by the length of the video, and the more players you have the less time each player will have to move/play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.