Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I've been designing a game with a simplified stock market. There are five colours, each of which can be valued from -3 to +3.

In my playtests thus far I've used cubes representing the stocks on a card showing the scale, but I've since removed other tokens, and now the market is the only part of the game that doesn't just use cards.

Since turning the game into just a deck of cards would significantly reduce the cost, (And also make it fit in a standard deck box) I'm trying to figure out some way to track the market using just cards as well.

Here's what I've considered:
Rotating Counters for Each Colour
Were it a solo game I'd just put numbers around the edge of a card, which the player could rotate to show the number. I don't think this would work as well from different angles.

Three-Card Track with Cards as Tokens
This, I think takes up too much room on the table. Also prone to looking ugly if nudged.

Card for Each Colour with Coin Track
This is totally cheating. "Before you play this game, find five coins" isn't something gamers usually like to hear, and yet I suppose both Cheapass and Buttonshy have gotten away with it.

Is there a solution I'm missing here? I'm leaning towards my third option there, but I'd kind of like something more self-contained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Are 35 cards too many to add to the mix?
Could you have a card for each value and stock, and stack them up in order so you just have to flip through each stack to find the new value? Or is that too much card management?
Option 3 would work, but I'd much rather have some generic pawns (flat base with a skinny little tower), than a coin.
Would this really be too much to attach to the package?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vriezen
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a pair of cards, one covering another

Print a card with a + on the front and a - on the back. Then print the numbers 0-3 on the other card (on each of the edges, or maybe two on the front and two on the back).

Place the +/- card (with the appropriate side up) and the only visible symbols will be the appropriate sign and number.

It'll take 2 cards for each track you intend to replace. Color each appropriately for each stock.

Not sure this is great, as it requires more cards and table space than your #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moyer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
browzilla wrote:

Print a card with a + on the front and a - on the back. Then print the numbers 0-3 on the other card (on each of the edges, or maybe two on the front and two on the back).

Place the +/- card (with the appropriate side up) and the only visible symbols will be the appropriate sign and number.

It'll take 2 cards for each track you intend to replace. Color each appropriately for each stock.

I like this idea, but perhaps instead of splitting the information into two pieces (IE numbers and signs), you could print cards like '|+++---|' from top to bottom, and place it under another card. Then when the stock market went up or down you could slide the card on top to change the value.

+1: |+| Card |
+2: |++| Card |
-1: | Card |-|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
nmjcman101 wrote:
browzilla wrote:

I like this idea, but perhaps instead of splitting the information into two pieces (IE numbers and signs), you could print cards like '|+++---|' from top to bottom, and place it under another card. Then when the stock market went up or down you could slide the card on top to change the value.

+1: |+| Card |
+2: |++| Card |
-1: | Card |-|

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vriezen
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered something like that, but the numerals seemed like they'd be more legible from across the table, as well as less prone to being moved around from table bumps (with a 2.5"x3.5" card, bumping the card about 1/2", maybe less is enough to change the information that's visible.)

Anyway, it might work well enough, might as well just try them both! 10 cards is easy enough to prototype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yaakov Buchsbaum
msg tools
Starflier wrote:

Card for Each Colour with Coin Track
This is totally cheating. "Before you play this game, find five coins" isn't something gamers usually like to hear, and yet I suppose both Cheapass and Buttonshy have gotten away with it.

can you maybe require the players to cut up one card that will be the coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.