Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Palma
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time posting here so please bear with me.
Last night I went to my local Hobbystore as they have Axis and Allies (both land and sea) games on Thursday nights. The owner and I got together to play a quick game of WaS.

He wanted to try out a new fleet he had been thinking about for the Japanese which consisted of the Yamato, the Shoho, an I-19 and a Zeke for a total of 98 points.

I assembled a US fleet consisting of the Uss Enterprise, 3 flights of wildcats (I really need some dive bombers), Uss Atlanta, Uss Fletcher, Uss Samual B Roberts, Uss Barb, a PT Boat and a PBY for a total of 96 points.

We both head a +2 for our flagships, thus the initiative bonus was mute, however, luckily I had better rolls. We rolled for setup and recreated Map 4 in the manual.

The battle ensued with the Yamato moving toward the center objective marker and hoping to cover the other two objectives with its extended range. I was able cripple the Shoho with two hits from the USS Barb immediately, then take it out on the next turn, thereby landbasing the Zeke (now that I think about it, I need to check to see if the Zeke should have been removed or not). I was also able to add 2 hull hits on the Yamato.

The Yamato took the center objective, I took another objective with the Atlanta and the Samual B Roberts. The Flethcher was taken out by his sub, but I was able to cripple his sub. By this time the Yamato went for the last objective, but with the damage incurred, he no longer had the Extended Range special.

To make a long story short, we ended up having only the Yamato and I-19, against the Enterprise, Barb and 3 Wildcats. As long as I could stay ahead of his two ships I think I would have been fine, however, If he could have cornered me with the i-19 and the Yamato it would have made quick work of my last ship. My only possible saving grace would have been to take the Yamato out with the Barb.

This game is a lot of fun for me as it is simple enough for a quick fix for gaming. I do not have to look up many tables and modifiers before I can actually get some hits, or move around the board. I have reviewed some of the alternate rules out there and am interested in adding a little more to the game. As with other reviews, I think the subs are pretty dominate as well as the Battleships. Unfortunately I need some dive bombers that I cannot seem to get to round things out a little.

I think this game is awesome, unfortunately I found out last night too that it has run out of it's first printing, with no word yet on a second. I hope this will continue to be a game they improve on and re-rlease with more expansions similar to the Land version of the AAM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.