7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: People of the Twilight - Short campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This weekend I will be giving people a taste of the game at my local gaming group and I wanted to give them a bit more of an experience than just fighting the lion two times and ending it in a cliffhanger. Kingdom Death is about giant monsters and of course death as well, so I tried to come up with something that would also give them that.
I am really interested to hear what other people might think and if you perhaps have any advice or changes for the better?

People of the Twilight - short campaign

Start the campaign with the introduction, but add 'Hooded Stranger'-event to the timeline at lantern year 1.
Add 'Phoenix Feather'-event and 'Twilight Knight'-event to lantern year 2.
Add 'Twilight Encounter'-nemesis event to Lantern year 3.

-----

Hooded Stranger

A wandering stranger emerges from the darkness
The stranger doesn't seem to notice you at first, scouring the skies for something unknown.
When he finally spots the settlement he is clearly startled and demands to speak with your leader.

Nominate a survivor to be the leader
[Conviction 141 - Darkness]

Or

Hide together in the darkness.
[Conviction 141 - Mystery]

+1 survival

---

Twilight Knight

The wandering stranger returns and formally reintroduces himself as a Twilight Knight and passes some of his knowledge onto you.

- If your settlement has the 'Romantic conviction' gain the Paint Innovation.
- If your settlement has the 'Barbaric conviction' gain the Inner Lantern innovation.
If your settlement already had this innovation, you may innovate once from the regular innovation deck.

The Knight asks you to aid him in his hunt for the fabled Phoenix, and bestows upon the settlement a gift.

Twilight Loot - roll d10

1 - Monster grease
2 - 5 - Zanbato
6 - 9 - Leather armor
10 - Twilight Sword

If the settlement decides to hunt the Phoenix all departing survivors gain +3 courage

---

Twilight Encounter

Returning survivors do not return to the settlement, instead set up The Twilight Encounter Showdown.

Use the King's Man Showdown Level 2.
Use the setup and terrain from your last fight and put a dead monster terrain token on the spot where you killed the monster.
If you rolled a 10 on the Twilight Loot track, the Twilight Knight starts the showdown with a -1 damage token in play.

------

Notes:
I wanted to get new players to a battle with an enormous miniature (The Phoenix) as fast as possible and hopefully dying in the process.
The Twilight Encounter is to ensure they will die even if they manage to kill the Phoenix, which I doubt will happen.
If they decide to hunt another lion (this will be the third time), they will die at the hands of the Twilight Knight in the end as well, ensuring death will occur. In this case it will feel more like their own fault for not helping him.

What do you all think? Too harsh for a first demo? Is there enough cool stuff (like choosing the conviction, rolling for loot etc)?

Let me know. Thanks!

PDF work in progress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds really hard!
You should test it beforehand, but I think it will be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really don't think that'd get much of the experience across.

2 years and even the best of the gear (leather set at that point) and you still need paint to even kind of have a chance against the phoenix. I mean, sure, you could get a party killed if you fight a level 3 lion year 3 also, but it probably won't be very fun. You just wouldn't have the raw ability to take and deal some hits by then. The twilight sword is just a penalty if you don't have time to get XP with it.

And a level 2 king's man, without having fought a level 1, is going to be an absolute slog-- they just won't have any idea what to do, even more so if they've already lost their better guys to a phoenix (as soon as they started to get stats etc.)

Just really don't think it'll give them any experience other than "if you're not equipped for it, fights will wreck you and you won't get to do anything productive."

I'd suggest just accelerating the timeline- try to cut a couple years out and simulate them with shorthand buffs that amount to something close where they can make fewer decisions to speed things up (a rawhide set and a good innovation would probably cover a year-plus, for instance), and call the butcher the boss- he's pretty well-balanced so a struggling settlement can win with luck while a good one and some bad luck will still get them killed. For any complaints I have with the game, I think the introduction is set up basically perfectly to teach you how things go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
It may just be my experience, but that timeline is actually more likely to scare players off. They get one fight with lion - fun, helps learn the mechanics - then either another lion (learn that the same monster may not play the same) or a slaughter at the (hundred) hands of a Phoenix. Then they get slaughtered by the King's man because there's no way they'll have the gear for it.
So... Two lion fight, which you'd be giving them with a regular demo (plus story events, settlement phase, etc.) Pt one good fight and two absolute slaughters they would have no hope against? Boo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mattonyx wrote:
They get one fight with lion - fun, helps learn the mechanics - then either another lion (learn that the same monster may not play the same) or a slaughter at the (hundred) hands of a Phoenix.

Well, with this timeline, they get one prologue lion and a second lion before going up against a Phoenix, or a third lion. Their choice.

But the growing consensus is definitely that this timeline is very much on the harsh side of things. More likely to scare potential players away, then to suck them in.

Thanks for all the comments and I will surely go back to the drawing board, because I do like the idea of a small self contained little demo.
Maybe I should end it with the Allison Twilight Knight practice battle, or something a little less destructive.
Or they could join the Twilight Knight in it's battle against the Phoenix, where the player demoing becomes the 5th player using the Twilight Knight (Lantern armor + Twilight Sword)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjel
Netherlands
Rotterdam Area
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to tell us how it all worked out?
Did they enjoy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Well, it didn't quite work out the way I had imagined.

Not everybody who said they wanted to try out the game showed up. One person who did come, became ill after critically hitting a lion in it's belly and throwing up while the lion was throwing up as well (life imitating art I guess, influenced by a fun night of drinking in this case).
So in the end there was just one person left who already spend the last couple of weeks watching all the playthroughs of the game he could find. So he knew almost more about the game than I did, but needed to play it for himself in real life before officialy pledging on the kickstarter.

All in all this was not the moment to try-out this campaign idea. But it was fun nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.