Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some games you can say are too expensive used at $10. Others not so much.

A used bookstore near me had Perudo, last time I looked, but I don't know the price (yet). What's too much to pay?

Alternatively, what's a good copy to buy new, and from where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, considering Liar's dice is just a pile of dice and some cups, I wouldn't pay too much.

OTOH, if you can find the Pirates of the Caribbean-themed "Pirate's Dice" for a sale price, I'd get that. Ahrrr, matey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well I always relate "expensive" or "cheap" as to how good a game is and how often it's played and not just the actual initial cost.

If I end up playing a game 20+ times and enjoy it.. then even $50+ isn't excessive but if it sits on my shelf unplayed or we generally dislike the game... $5 is too much.

Liar's Dice/Perudo/Bluff IMO is a great simple game with some decent bluffing tactics built into the gameplay. The components are pretty basic... some dice and cups and a small rulebook but I'd say it's certainly worth $10 used and I'd pay $20+ new as well. It's a great light game and if it's a hit with your group... you'll likely play the game A LOT making the price you paid pretty much irrelevant. You could also make your own copy with 30 dice using some small cups and downloading rules from BGG. The game is basically public domain and hundreds(thousands?) of years old so you aren't really ripping anyone off by making your own version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a public domain game like Liar's Dice, the value really comes down to quality of components and the difficulty you might have in fabricating your own copy. Liar's Dice requires a bunch of different color dice and opaque cups. The cups are easy, but acquiring adequate dice on your own might prove difficult. Therefore, $5 or $10 for Perudo is probably not bad.

And of course if you found a set with jade cups and gemstone dice, the value might shift just a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Liar's Dice requires a bunch of different color dice and opaque cups.

The game certainly doesn't require different colors, that's just a nice touch. Liar's Dice (the MB edition) for example has one red die, all the rest are yellow. Ditto the pirates edition, with black dice.

Copies go for $5-15 on ebay regularly, the University Games edition of Perudo, which does have different colored dice goes for a bit more. I wouldn't pay much for a Pirate's copy, those were piled high in the discount bins not too long ago, and only play 4 where most editions play up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.