Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homemade scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arinmir Belegar
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Did someone figured out how to create custom scenarios with the new system?
I'm posting this in order to create a conversation about how to get it.
There are my thoughts:
* There are 3 possible solutions:
** Developing a Multiplatform App: Not valid in the short term. There should be volunteers and time. It should be a webpage, 3 different apps are wasting resources. A multiplatform web page could be played from almost every device.
** Create a powerpoint/interactive pdf (with links): Avoiding spoilers, each room in a page and linking to other rooms as soon as it's explored. We should discuss how to introduce the rest of the elements.
** create a printable paged PDF (no tablets): "Choose your own adventure" style.

* I'm playing the first scenario for a ton of times in order to know where and how the scenario varies things and keep others invariant. I'm still playing alternatives.

-------------------- OVERALL STORY ------------
* There should be introductory, finish success, and finish fail narrations.
* Ambient music. There are tons of ambient music in the internet. You could recommend players your optimal playlist.
* Choosing players. No problem
* Initial equipment: There should be from 0 to X fixed equipment elements and after this one item per player. We can create a complete player list with the provided item (too complex) or we can create a pool of items equal to number of players x 2 and they must select one each. There should be variety in order to be valid for every type of player.

------------------ TILES --------------------

* We can see the same adventure can be played with different tiles. I played first scenario with and without the first edition elements. The maps where totally different. I will try some games with first eddition and other without in order to know I there are a fixed set of elements an other variant after edition selection or there are totally random. Each tile has its own descriptions in order to put the tokens so there should be proper descriptions for each tile.Homemade scenarios could start having a fixed tileset.
* There should be 2 pages for each tile element. first page should have the "introduction" of the tile. Describing elements, tokens, and monster appearances. A second page could contain the rest of the action in the tiles.
* If we want tiles variation. There should be some dice roll in order to decide with tile will be placed.

-------------------- MONSTERS POOL ---------------
* Monsters type can be different in same scenario. There are fixed monsters at some points and other random/expansion depending ones.

-------------------- MITHOS PHASE ----------------
* First Part: Events. Some turns have fixed events, other random ones. Create a random list of possible events. First part, random target(s). Second part, random effects.
* Second part: Monsters activation. Again a list of random movement and target criteria. We should use the first eddition combat cards or create a random list of possible combat situations.
* Third Part: horror checks. The horror checks are new mechanic. We should use the old mechanic or figure out horror checks for every possible monster.
-------------------- ATTACK MONSTERS --------------------
* We should use the first eddition combat cards or create a random list of possible combat situations.

What about all this. Any alternative idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just from a development standpoint the web-page is probably the best option we have. There's a few catches, mainly involved in the Mythos phase.

It'd be easy enough to set this up if someone's got a database of tiles and spaces, along with images. Then, its just a matter of associating spaces and objects inside them, as well as providing the appropriate actions for monster attacks and movements.

I'm not sure if there's a per-scenario set of Mythos events or if they all draw from a sort of 'generic' stack of them. It'd take some investigation, but this bit is easy as well once we figure that out.

I think i'll share this idea with some of my students, and see what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirv
msg tools
There are some people working on this.

The following is a link to an unfinished demo I'm working on called Undiscovered Tales:
http://agentmirv.github.io/undiscoveredtales/

It doesn't work in IE currently. I've been working on it for fun and to learn html5 and javascript game programming.

I didn't use any image scans because I'm not sure of the legality of doing so. In the demo, the images are more like place-holders.

The ultimate goal is to create a tool where someone could create a custom scenario. Right now, I'm working on getting the game play implemented.

Here is a thread where people had been talking about their own projects:
Comprehensive thread for custom scenario generation tools

• [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off: Brilliant
Second: have some geek gold
Thirdly: I think it is fine to have placeholders and have the names of the tiles instead of the image if I am any judge.

agentmirv wrote:

The following is a link to an unfinished demo I'm working on called Undiscovered Tales:

It doesn't work in IE currently. I've been working on it for fun and to learn html5 and javascript game programming.

I didn't use any image scans because I'm not sure of the legality of doing so. In the demo, the images are more like place-holders.

The ultimate goal is to create a tool where someone could create a custom scenario. Right now, I'm working on getting the game play implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirv
msg tools
Thanks for comments and the gold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
eorahil wrote:

** Developing a Multiplatform App: Not valid in the short term. There should be volunteers and time. It should be a webpage, 3 different apps are wasting resources. A multiplatform web page could be played from almost every device.

The problem with this is that you are asking for huge volunteer commitment for something that could get a (legitimate) take down notice at any time. I much prefer Valkyrie's stand alone/import model. If someone wants they can always host the web build at their own risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arinmir Belegar
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for comments and links.
Looks like there are people working on it and I love it.

I Will look closer and help if there is something I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just bought MoM, after trying it out for the first time last night.
Custom scenarios was something I wondering if could be possible, so i'll be bookmarking this topic for after I've done all the missions it ships with!

I gave the "Undiscovered Tales" version a go and it seems to be shaping up nicely!
I think as long as there is no usage of trademarks or art from the game it should be fine, from a copyright standpoint.

I am willing to help out in the future if iOS/Android apps are needed (although that may not even be necessary if Undiscovered Tales works on mobile browsers )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel S
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm currently in the midst of creating a custom scenario. I'm messing with the app in order to copy as much of it as possible in regard to text, i.e. mythos phase stuff and attacks + evades, etc. It's resulted in a massive spreadsheet of data from the app which I may upload when it is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iver Gørtz
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kallisto wrote:
First off: Brilliant
Second: have some geek gold
Thirdly: I think it is fine to have placeholders and have the names of the tiles instead of the image if I am any judge.

agentmirv wrote:

This sounds so cool and looks very promising. Hope you´ll continue on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be a fairly simple matter to do a custom module if someone didn't mind playing the GM the way MoM 1st ed worked.

As much as I would love to have more scenarios we could play purely co-op. I'd rather have someone (probably me) playing GM and have more scenarios then be stuck with just the limited numbers we get with the game. The average of $25 a scenario is the only real blemish on this game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony LaMalfa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Samuel S (Scandinator),

Thanks for your work on custom scenarios! A lot of people are interested in this subject.

Were you able to find a way to extract the text from the official Man of Mad 2nd Ed App? If so, how?

Reason I ask is because I'm working on the same endeavor, but have resorted to retyping all of the mythos, combat, horror, and evade text. My plan is to use a combat assistant app by Vodnyk from Man of Mad 1st Ed (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104353/mansions-madness-c...) to create a way to emulate 2nd Ed but while keeping the Keeper system from 1st Ed.

I've finished retyping all of the Investigator Attacks for each monster type (Humanoid, Beast, and Spirit). I'm also done with the Evade & Horror checks for many monsters, but have yet to complete their monster attacks. But I'm still debating on how to handle Mythos.

Any advice on how to extract data from the app would save me a great deal of time. If I'm successful, I can share what I've complied with you (and hopefully the BBG community).

Tony
(rangerfromthenorth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
rangerfromthenorth wrote:
Samuel S (Scandinator),

Thanks for your work on custom scenarios! A lot of people are interested in this subject.

Were you able to find a way to extract the text from the official Man of Mad 2nd Ed App? If so, how?

Reason I ask is because I'm working on the same endeavor, but have resorted to retyping all of the mythos, combat, horror, and evade text. My plan is to use a combat assistant app by Vodnyk from Man of Mad 1st Ed (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104353/mansions-madness-c...) to create a way to emulate 2nd Ed but while keeping the Keeper system from 1st Ed.

I've finished retyping all of the Investigator Attacks for each monster type (Humanoid, Beast, and Spirit). I'm also done with the Evade & Horror checks for many monsters, but have yet to complete their monster attacks. But I'm still debating on how to handle Mythos.

Any advice on how to extract data from the app would save me a great deal of time. If I'm successful, I can share what I've complied with you (and hopefully the BBG community).

Tony
(rangerfromthenorth)

I have replied to your PM, but for public record:

- Valkyrie can export all text for you. All MoM content is available in content/MoM/ffg after an import is run.
- I intend to have a fully functioning MoM Valkyrie release by the end of the month, including 1 scenario.

If you have a table of what type (humaniod/beast/spirit) each monster is that would save me some time (https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/42)

For your information the way that Valkrie will handle Mythos is that all included Mythos events will get a severity (flavour/minor/major/deadly) and an optional condition (indoors, outdoors, library, etc). You can turn on and off groups of Mythos depending on your scenario, difficutly and progress. You can also disable all Mythos to create your own (typically for a special event on a particular round).

Anyone who missed what Valkyrie is check it out here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony LaMalfa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bruce (BruceLGL),

Excellent! Thank you for informing me of this.

I've found the Localization.txt file you described that Valkyrie 0.6.0 was able to import. It includes all of the combat text I was looking for, however, it doesn't designate which Ability the investigator has to test for each separate attack.

What this helps me with though, is to cross reference the actual number of attacks by investigators against each monster type (with each type of weapon) and the number of attacks, evade (usually 12), and horror checks (again usually 12) made by each monster.

When I get a count on each monster type, I'll let you know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
I've found the Localization.txt file you described that Valkyrie 0.6.0 was able to import. It includes all of the combat text I was looking for, however, it doesn't designate which Ability the investigator has to test for each separate attack.

Actually it does. I mentioned this in my PM, open the text with the font included in content/MoM/ffg/font and you should see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony LaMalfa
msg tools
mbmbmb
So it does! Excellent!

This is exactly what I needed, considering we're focusing more on the Call of Cthulhu RPG using MoM: 2nd Ed exploration/combat, but with the aid of an app to provide the flavor text and replacing the official app with a GM (based on MoM: 1st Ed Keeper).

Thanks, Bruce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Samuel S (Scandinator),

Tony
(rangerfromthenorth)

I have replied to your PM, but for public record:

- Valkyrie can export all text for you. All MoM content is available in content/MoM/ffg after an import is run.
- I intend to have a fully functioning MoM Valkyrie release by the end of the month, including 1 scenario.

If you have a table of what type (humaniod/beast/spirit) each monster is that would save me some time (https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/42)

For your information the way that Valkrie will handle Mythos is that all included Mythos events will get a severity (flavour/minor/major/deadly) and an optional condition (indoors, outdoors, library, etc). You can turn on and off groups of Mythos depending on your scenario, difficutly and progress. You can also disable all Mythos to create your own (typically for a special event on a particular round).

Anyone who missed what Valkyrie is check it out here:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie

I have seen your posts on Valkyrie here and on the Descent boards, but I still have no idea what it actually is. I don't have Windows, so I can't run it to find out. Does it replace the FFG app? Does it make custom maps that are run in the FFG app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
sumanye wrote:
I have seen your posts on Valkyrie here and on the Descent boards, but I still have no idea what it actually is. I don't have Windows, so I can't run it to find out. Does it replace the FFG app? Does it make custom maps that are run in the FFG app?

It replaces the FFG app, though you still need the FFG app because it uses the images and text from it. It works the same way, but includes a scenario editor.

Mansions of Madness support is still not quite complete, but it will be soon. After that I will look at releasing for other platforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony LaMalfa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bruce,

I have to thank you again for the Localization_en.txt from Valkyrie. It was exactly what I needed for the project I've been working on titled "The Call of Madness" (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28778782#28778782) an RPG mashup of Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition with Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.

Using this approach, all the physical MoM:2nd Ed components are used, a player replaces the Steam App as the Keeper to create their own scenarios, unique investigators can be simply created by the other players, and the combat & mythos flavor text (and tests) are all still available for use.

Cheers,
rangerfromthenorth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.