GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,283 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Anything better than FC Alexander for solitaire ancient period? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello, Iv chosen a fc Alexander as a game of my interest now, but Im not sure About the quality of DVG Games, Iv read some are good some less. Alexander is chosen only because of the historical period appeals to me most. I would like to ask if you would rather advice me a different game or if Alexander is a good choice. I Will play mostly solo, only once a week has a chance to play 2 player game. Thanx everyone for oppinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

1) FC Alexander : show of hands how many (Europeans) in here read that Football Club Alexander the first time.

2) "only" once a week a 2-player game - that puts you in the upper 5 percentile of gamers here

3) If you want a broad swath of ancient armies and battles : Commands & Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'first' solo-designed game was The Fall of Rome which was updated by Joseph Miranda and published in an S&T 181 magazine in the early 90s. I haven't played FC:A so can't compare but Fall of Rome does a thorough job of modeling the behaviors of many different types of armies and movements, etc. It's a pretty unique game for being solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
The 'first' solo-designed game was The Fall of Rome which was updated by Joseph Miranda and published in an S&T 181 magazine in the early 90s. I haven't played FC:A so can't compare but Fall of Rome does a thorough job of modeling the behaviors of many different types of armies and movements, etc. It's a pretty unique game for being solo.

The original SPI version is still widely available and is a very good game. There's a file in the game folder that merges all errata into the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
[q="adm1"] There's a file in the game folder that merges all errata into the original rules.
And the updated version, which I have and was referencing above, has a totally new rule set that also incorporates some of the errata and clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it absolutely have to be a game specifically designed for solo play? Myself, I learned most of what I know about ancient warfare from soloing games from the Great Battles of History series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
[q="adm1"] There's a file in the game folder that merges all errata into the original rules.
And the updated version, which I have and was referencing above, has a totally new rule set that also incorporates some of the errata and clarifications.

Yep, the question is whether Decision's changes make the game better or worse. I've never tried the redesigned Fall of Rome, but that's because experience with other SPI classics that they've redesigned tells me that the originals are superior more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I've never tried the redesigned Fall of Rome, but that's because experience with other SPI classics that they've redesigned tells me that the originals are superior more often than not.
:D
I gotcha. And I've never tried the original...
In terms of the redesign: my issue is with some of the counters, which are ambiguous in terms of information. (At least to me.) Don't know whether they were part of the redesign or not.

Alas, I haven't gotten this to the table as much as I've wanted. The initial set up is cumbersome for me... I play Struggle for the Galactic Empire which uses this system, much more regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of my favorites, though not solitaire but easily playable solo:

Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia

Alexander the Great

The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Field Commander: Alexander deserves a go. It's an early FC game, it looks a lot a work and design went into that game, there are some unique ideas to the series. I don't know of the earlier games prior to FC Alexander, but recent games sure seem to lack quality in general... like they are rushed.

It was one of my very first solo-games, also first in the realm of "wargame", and it remains one of those fond games I love to play from time to time ^^ I made a review here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
epa minondas
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Geeklist I have created for solitaire ancient wargame :
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/182405/solitaire-ancient-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients and related expansions.

This series is great because it's easy to play solo as you don't have to reveal the opponent's new cards until it's their turn.

Also, there are so many time periods covered that it inspires me to read and learn more about the times and battles.

The coming Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars by Mark Herman is probably going to be interesting if that time period interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed Barbarian, Kingdom & Empire with scenarios for 1-6 players. All the scenarios are easily playable solitaire, and one scenario is designed specifically for solitaire play. This game is strategic in scope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
Commands & Colors: Ancients and related expansions.

This series is great because it's easy to play solo as you don't have to reveal the opponent's new cards until it's their turn.

Also, there are so many time periods covered that it inspires me to read and learn more about the times and battles.

The coming Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars by Mark Herman is probably going to be interesting if that time period interests you.

This game can give you some flavor of ancients, but little real insight into any of the battles.

This is mostly because the board size is always the same and tends to force face to face fights. That tends to make it a straight tactical exercise that becomes dull by yourself.

But that has all been discussed lots of that games forums, and the Napoleonic version shares that issue....which is a shame because I really like it and no one else around me does.

I have found that while it is fun for vs gaming, you very quickly want something deeper with more strategic scope solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar - it takes a lot of time to play, but it's a very good game, quite impressive in single player and it can play up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet but there's Solitaire Caesar. Must be something to it if it just got reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lost Battles can be played solo easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Jelley is coming out with a pure solitaire sort of version of The Republic of Rome called Rome, Inc.. You can find the rules, etc. on CSW. I have the rules in front of me, looks quite fascinating with military, political and social interactions. Haven't played it but it looks like a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Games' The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC is a solitaire system that actually forces you to play from the disadvantageous position at all times. Using a rather unique rules set, the player switches sides if (s)he plays too well against the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.