Subject: Great game for Pandemic lovers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Wright
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*This is my first review. Thanks for checking it out!*

My friends and I just completed our first game of Pandemic: Iberia last night and had a blast. I've been looking forward to it for a long time. We are long-time Pandemic players, and have played On the Brink, as well as Pandemic: Legacy (Season 1). I was looking for something fresh in the Pandemic family. I finally got a copy of Iberia over the weekend, and it lived up to expectations.

Components:
The components are gorgeous. The board, cards, box, and pieces look great and have a lovely Spanish flair. The cardboard chits (for railroads, etc.) are nice and sturdy. The wooden cubes that represent the diseases are fantastic, and a nice touch given the 19th century setting for the game. The game even includes a bonus book of artwork! Only one complaint: The cards seem a little bit thin to me, and I wonder how they will hold up over time.

Theme: Fantastic. Compared to the original Pandemic, it felt like we were in the 19th century. There were no quick trips around the board at the beginning. After all, you can't just hop on an airplane for a quick trip around the globe. Travel felt painstakingly slow, and travel via boat (at the expense of discarding a card) felt too costly most of the time. The diseases felt a little less "controllable" compared to the original Pandemic, as well, since you cannot cure or eradicate them, only "research" them. This suits a time period when science was not as advanced as today. The seven roles players can select were well-suited to the theme, as well.

Rules: Very easy to pick up if you've played the original Pandemic. My wife doesn't like to learn new boardgames, but loves the original Pandemic, and was able to jump right into this one. Enough difference from the original to give it excellent variety.

Value: This is the one criticism I have. The current price point is almost double that of the original Pandemic, and thus seems quite high to me. On the one hand, it's a great variation of the original. On the other, I wonder how it will stand up over time. I'm sure we'll get plenty of plays out of it. Iberia does come with two variants that should extend the replay value, but I don't expect that we'll see any expansions for this. If we didn't already own the original Pandemic, the original would be a much better value in terms of cost and replayability over the long term.

Overall, we really enjoyed it and recommend it for people who have played Pandemic and are looking for a fresh variant. It was close enough to the original to have a very familiar feel, but had enough variety to keep us engaged through to the end. We enjoyed learning some new strategies, and just barely won our first game on the easiest difficulty. We are looking forward to bringing it to the table again soon!

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can answer them. Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
I have now played the game 8 times and feel there is much yet to discover, which is why I am abstaining from writing my review yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Art, on your first review!. We just got this interesting game this week, and are looking forward to explore Pandemic disease fighting "Iberian Style, XIX Century"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schofield
United Kingdom
GATESHEAD
Please select
flag msg tools
It was my first play tonight and I think it's a smash hit. I loved the railway (best new feature of the game for me) and sailing mechanics, and thought the purify water action worked really well. The theme really came through and I thought the new roles were excellent. I really don't have anything negative to say about it, and I definitely think it's different enough from base Pandemic to warrant purchase assuming you like the original.

As for the value aspect, I picked it up in Hong Kong (I live in the Southern Chinese city of Shenzhen) for HK$289 (around US$38) which I think is a decent price. It's not bargain basement, but decent considering the component quality and what you get in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
art642 wrote:
The current price point is almost double that of the original Pandemic, and thus seems quite high to me.

MSRP of Pandemic is $39.99.
MSRP of Pandemic: Iberia is $49.99.

That's 25% more, not nearly 100% more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
art642 wrote:
The current price point is almost double that of the original Pandemic, and thus seems quite high to me.

MSRP of Pandemic is $39.99.
MSRP of Pandemic: Iberia is $49.99.

That's 25% more, not nearly 100% more.

And, Iberia integrates some of the best parts of the regular Pandemic expansions so the price comparison should be for Pandemic Iberia vs. Pandemic plus an expansion (or 2).

Hands down, I think Iberia is a fantastic value for a fantastic game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Wright
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry—I wasn't looking at MSRP. Was looking at the cheapest price I found for both on the internet. Overall, I think Pandemic: Iberia is a great value, but would probably buy the original Pandemic first given the price and expansions available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Iberia is a great game. Got mine delivered thru Miniature Market for $38. Well worth the price. The water purification system adds a lot to the game. Love the new roles too. Have only played it 2 player and it works well. The regions add a lot too as you can protect several cities with one water token (or more tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
art642 wrote:
Sorry—I wasn't looking at MSRP. Was looking at the cheapest price I found for both on the internet. Overall, I think Pandemic: Iberia is a great value, but would probably buy the original Pandemic first given the price and expansions available.

Locally, I can get Pandemic for R750 and Pandemic:Iberia for R850. So, a 12% price difference ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.