Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question:

I'm considering a house rule where each player is dealt 2 starting occupation cards at the start of the game and chooses one. It's not that I think some are significantly better than others; more that some players may get cards that go against their strategy/approach and won't be useful at all.

Has anyone tried this? Do you think it's a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deal three and let the players choose one. It's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No harm in it. Especially if you find the change to add more fun.

I do think the mechanisms involved with the occupation cards are the most underdeveloped design of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the players have more fun that's fine of course. It's your game!

Personally, I suspect the occupation cards are more balanced than people realize, and giving people too much choice about the cards leads to groupthink if a small group of players keep doing it. They might decide, for example, that cards which boost food production are useless, not trying a building-heavy strategy.

For instance, if a player gets a STARTING occupation that's against their strategy, that means they've decided on a particular strategy before the game even starts. In my opinion Odin is designed to reward players who adapt to different strategies each game depending on available spaces and available occupations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1740098/feast-odin/variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

And boy am I glad it is!

GAFBlizzard wrote:
Personally, I suspect the occupation cards are more balanced than people realize, and giving people too much choice about the cards leads to groupthink if a small group of players keep doing it. They might decide, for example, that cards which boost food production are useless, not trying a building-heavy strategy.

For instance, if a player gets a STARTING occupation that's against their strategy, that means they've decided on a particular strategy before the game even starts. In my opinion Odin is designed to reward players who adapt to different strategies each game depending on available spaces and available occupations.

That's a good point. Adaptability is definitely key. I'm not too worried about balance, but I just don't tend to like certain types of cards (like the resource conversion cards for example) and I'm sure other players have their preferences as well. Anyway, thanks for the feedback,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I do agree. There is something to be said for choosing between different starting occupation cards though, especially when the various viable routes through the game aren't well known by the player. While balanced, some strategies are more opaque than others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
I always enjoy making houserules and enjoy reading other peoples ideas :-)

One idea of the start with only one card was, to let the people start the game as fast as possible. In Agricola there are seven cards at the beginning and we always needed a long time of studying before the game could start. I enjoyed the houserule to take best seven of ten cards, other people preferrred drafting from eight-card piles. So it needed much more time to start. But most people want to start playing as soon as possible. There are three editions of cards: A, B and C. For beginners easy understandable and useable cards up to more complex and difficult cards for experts.

However we also tested the game in the testing-phase often with a choice between two cards, to simulate same aspects of the game better. It works fine and makes the game not much longer, if you are not a beginner and got some experiences.

Nethertheless it will not decide the victory of the game, if you got a playable/useful card or not. It should be an option and should give some possibilities for new strategies, but you could also win without playing any card (like in Agricola).

The main idea of playing games is, to have a nice time. So i think, nobody should stopp people having more fun by a houserule, whatever was intended by the author :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.