BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: mid weight eurogames for 4-6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, i'm here cause i need help in picking the next few purchases for me and my group :/

starting from the begin, i have a weekly gaming group quite large, 6 to 10 players, and, even if we sometimes split in 2 tables, we prefer lighter games (Mysterium, Dominion, 7 wonders, carcassonne, betrayal at house on the hill and citadel are the games that hit our tables most of the times ), but out of hit we are trying to get a smaller group (4 to 6 people) to play, from time to time, a bit heavier games.

we played a study in emerald and we really enjoyed it, so we decided to go for a coop game with a similar theme, the three big candidates are

- Arkham Horror
- Eldritch Horror
- Mansion of Madness

but i'm open to suggestion for a game which could substitute them

at the same time i would like to have even a worker placement game of similar complexity, specifically i tried Agricola and i liked it, even if i felt like the theme was almost totally not existent (but i really like the idea that you have so many cards that two games will never be the same).

candidates for this category could be
- Agricola (2016 revised edition)
- Caverna
- Puerto Rico

but again i'm open to other suggestions for games which could substitute them

the last game i would like to find is something that i wasn't able to think about. now, this may sound strange, but let me formulate that: i tried First Class during a convention and i fell in love with it. it has a drafting mechanic which i never tried before and it just blew my mind. i would like to find a game who can show me something new which can steal my attention

for every game extra pros would be (in order from the most to the less important):

- language indipendence (if i can find the english edition easily this point does not matter. i live in the netherlands but i do not speak dutch)
- high replayability
- a theme that could keep me interested in the game (as i said agricola's lack of theme was a major turn off :/ )
- the possibility to play in 2 players, i really enjoy to play with my girlfriend every time i have the possibility

cons would be (in order):
- too much luck involved
- the game carries through different sessions (i would play DnD if i wanted to play a campain, plus not all the players can come every session. this is the major reason i don't see Pandemic legacy hitting our table anytime soon)

if you managed to read everything a big thank you, if you even have a suggestion i thank you even more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely a big spread between 4, 5, and 6 player game options for mid weight Euros.

4 players = almost every Euro supports 4 and most are best with 4 (or 3). There are SO many options that it's almost impossible to recommend.

5 players = less options, but still many good Euros that play well with 5. Although many times the games don't actually play well with 5 despite advertising it.

6 players = Very limited options for more strategic games. But a few exist.

For 6, some ideas:

Keyflower
Viticulture Essential
Empires: Age of Discovery
Railways of the World
Steampunk Rally
Lords of Waterdeep with Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor03 wrote:
5 players = less options, but still many good Euros that play well with 5. Although many times the games don't actually play well with 5 despite advertising it.

the part i quoted is the key for me. the "perfect" purchase for me would be a game that supports equally well 4, 5 and 6 players. if it supports only 4 and 5 it would be ok as well, but if it prefers or supports only 3 or 4 players i would almost never have the possibility to play it.

if it is a game who can be played perfectly with 2 players only but upscale properly up to 4 i wouldn't have anything against it tho (first class falls in here) since i would buy it to play with my girlfriend only and not with the group.

thank you for the suggestions tho, i will check them out! especially viticulture, i already spotted it in my FLGS and it captured my eyes :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho, only games allowing players to take their actions simultaneously work really well with 6 players.

The best examples I know are Race for the Galaxy (with expansions) and 7 Wonders.

What can also work (with the right players) are co-op games (including variants with 'traitors') because everyone's engaged, no matter which player's turn it currently is.
E.g. I've had great game sessions with 6, playing Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game or Arkham Horror. But they still take a long time.

Everything else becomes tedious if it requires players taking their turns sequentially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Flückiger
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your gaming group sounds very similar to our little group (usually 4-8 players, from various gaming and non-gaming backgrounds), so these are the games we enjoy to play when we hit the "5-6" player mark and don't want to split the group... (because you should never split up! Nothing good will ever happen if you split up the group! At least to one of the subgroups...):

First of all, I can second Lords of Waterdeep with Expansion! Sounds perfect for your group, since you seem to like D&D and are looking for a worker placement games...

Then there would be Francis Drake. Once again, the base game is only for 5 players, but I saw there's an expansion that ups it to 6 (although I don't own the expansion and can't vouch for it's quality).

I think at least Francis Drake, if not both games, should fall into your "medium heavy" category description. The next one does definitely not! But it's a very cute and fast game for up to 6 players, the more the merrier, which hit our table many times in the recent past as a filler game: Deep Sea Adventure

Finally, I'd strongly suggest Scythe, even though the box is very heavy, it doesn't feel that heavy when playing and moves along at a pretty steady pace. I think its easier to explain and get into than, for instance Terra Mystica, without losing complexity. The base game is for up to 5 players, but I think there are expansions coming that expand this limit to 7 players!

So... have fun! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.