Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Playing PC versions of boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Yspahan recently with some friends and had loads of fun...thought it was a really good game even though there was a fair amount of luck invovled.

Then I made the mistake of downloading the PC version of Yspahan. Don't get me wrong, the game is nicely made and ran very well without any glitch. But after some 20 odd games of Yspahan, it felt like I was just playing against a mathematical simulation of chance and probablity. Each game was quick and I didn't have to think too much and it became an exercise of clicking my choices on the screen.

The fun and joy of playing was completely absent...worse still, I am not sure whether I am looking forward to my next game of Yspahan. I suppose even though it is a good game, I don't feel the huge urge to ask for this game anytime soon.

Just reaffirms the reason why I play boardgames....for the people and the interaction....in real life. Which probably explains why I have no desire to play on Brettspielwelt either.

Anyone else share the same feeling?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toucana wrote:
Just reaffirms the reason why I play boardgames....for the people and the interaction....in real life. Which probably explains why I have no desire to play on Brettspielwelt either.

Anyone else share the same feeling?



I wouldn't say I have NO interest in playing PC versions - I just have LESS interest. There are some very good PC (and XBox ) versions out there. And I've found that playing games online makes me crave them tabletop.

I think the XBox version of Catan is an excellent example - provided all players have headsets, so you get the negotiation that is so important to doing well at the game. But a game with three non-talkers takes an eternity. And most of the XBox Live players aren't conditioned to accept this sort of play, yet.

Eric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Parra
Argentina
Villa Urquiza
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here with Yspahan and San Juan. Didn't happened with other computer versions I played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Farthing
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that the PC version of boardgames can often take a certain enjoyment out of the game. However, I cannot say how many games I have purchased BECAUSE I was able to learn them through the PC version. Yspahan is one game I probably would never have considered without trying it first on the PC. I don't have it yet, but it is on my want list as a result of trying it out.

When I first bought Tigris and Euphrates I had trouble figuring out the rules (the rulebook seemed confusing). But trying out the PC version helped me to make sense of what confused me.

This is the value of PC versions to me. Outside of that, I'd rather play face to face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a learning tool they're great, I learnt St. Petersburg, Ra, Yspahan, san juan and puerto rico all by playing the PC versions.

As a replacement for real games, they don't even come close, but then again I never expected them to so I'm quite happy to have them to teach me the rules then if i like it go out and play the real thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toucana wrote:
Each game was quick and I didn't have to think too much and it became an exercise of clicking my choices on the screen.


If you think this one is bad, try playing the St. Petersburg PC version. After 50 or so games it shouldn't require thought to make the best move, as the moves needed to win are completely obvious after about 10 plays. The hardest AI levels will give you a run for your money, but only because the game becomes completely dependent upon luck of the draw amongst evenly matched players.

One very good example of a PC version of a boardgame done right is 1830 (runs on DOSbox). The AI is decent, and even the easy AI will probably beat you badly the first few times if you aren't that familiar with 18xx. There are a few AI flaws, in particular its weakness to leeching for the first 3 ORs, as well as some funky logic regarding train shuffling late in the game, but after a few games you should feel reasonably comfortable playing the game face to face, and even be relatively competent with strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
When you say playing on computers, do you mean playing against an AI or online against other human players.

I play online quite a bit. I'd prefer a live match where you get to actually touch and move the pieces but online the gameplay is still there for me. But I play mostly perfect information games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yeah, I don't even like playing the same game over and over against live opponents. A lot of people in my group would love to play the same 5 games to death if I let them. I don't understand that. Variety is the spice of life!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that perfect information games vs. human players on-line can be attractive to me. However, vs. an AI I don't have any interest in board games; and games with even a moderate amount of luck, for me, are strictly social games that I'd much prefer to play in person.

That said, I am a serious computer games lover: just not board game ports. I prefer to play games designed for the computer if I am to play computer games in general.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toucana wrote:

Anyone else share the same feeling?



I was just about to make a similar post. Some guys in my game goup wanted to play In the Shadow of the Emperor on mabiweb.com so I joined in.

First, I want to say the implementation is excellent and easy to use and the game itself is very cool. But I had virtually no fun playing it on line because there just didn't seem to be much interaction. It was more of a logical puzzle.

I will say that I've played some games online with family who I don't get to interact with otherwise because they live far away. That is very cool. It would be better, of course, to play face to face. But since that's not an option, online computer boardgames are a nice alternative.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
Of course I'd much rather play a face to face game of a boargame. But I have learnt how to play many games using the pc versions, and these games I probably never would of played in reali life, but now I really want them. Power Grid and Ingenious are the 2 main examples. I learnt Axis and Allies playing the pc version, If I didn't I would have struggled way more teaching my brothers and father in law.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Well, playing In the Shadow of the Emperor on Mabiweb is likely the only way I'll ever get to play this game. And I really enjoy playing it there. I rate it a '9' based entirely on plays on Mabiweb. Sure, I'd like to play it FtF, but since that isn't an option, Mabiweb is great (and Spielbyweb and BSW, etc).

rayito2702 wrote:
toucana wrote:

Anyone else share the same feeling?



I was just about to make a similar post. Some guys in my game goup wanted to play In the Shadow of the Emperor on mabiweb.com so I joined in.

First, I want to say the implementation is excellent and easy to use and the game itself is very cool. But I had virtually no fun playing it on line because there just didn't seem to be much interaction. It was more of a logical puzzle.

I will say that I've played some games online with family who I don't get to interact with otherwise because they live far away. That is very cool. It would be better, of course, to play face to face. But since that's not an option, online computer boardgames are a nice alternative.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.