BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Some Accountability of the Mods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that still often irrelevant pictures etc. get 'approved' and other good pictures get declined, which IMHO shouldn't have been. (Often, ones that I think should have been approved, are of interesting people playing or unusual gaming events etc. Like people playing Magic the Gathering:Unglued balancing cards on their heads etc...)

There really needs to be some Accountability. I've heard, and witnessed, mods leaving offensive comments to images, knowing full well that their anoniminity 'protects' them and so they can be assholes.

I think that pictures which are approved should have a 'tag' so you can see who approved them, and also read any negative comments any mods may have left.

The same should go for declined pictures. That the uploader can match any offensive comments with a user name (and possibly flag them if the comment was overly offensive). Or comment back, explaining the situation/picture, if required.

The mods need to be modded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Offensive comments are certainly never welcome. If anyone is the target of such comments through geekmod please contact me with the quote and what image/session report/review/etc it was in regards to. I can check the archives for the author and will contact them about their behavior.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I have never recieved offensive coments.

Could you give us some examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They're probably talking about me. Because they probably submitted those god damn polka-dot twister kids AGAIN!

.edit.
Let's have some accountability for ... people ... who keep resubmitting the same declined image over and over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making more of a general comment than any specific message. Most of my declined pictures are rightfully declined (exposure etc.) Although, there are times when I don't think the mods correctly looked at the picture/caption and I disagree with their quick judgement so I resubmit. If the mods reason is valid, I do not resubmit.

But a few months back I had some new players turn up to their first game night, so we took some snaps and posted them. Truly they weren't great pictures, and I would probably have politely declined them, but I was embarrassed at the mods comment "Boy they are an ugly bunch!". I wasn't in the picture, and therefore, by no means offended. But I quietly hid the comment from the new gamers... "Um, you're too ugly to be on the Geek" Which has *got* to be a paradox.

I think what Donkey Hammer is geting at is that he declined a picture submission of my children playing a game stating it was "irrelevant". I'm not sure how a picture of kids playing a game is irrelevant to that game. So I resubmitted the picture, as "irrelevant" was the only reason I received for being declined.
I then received the comment "Stop resubmitting your stupid ass picture. Use your "User" section for crap like this." I hardly think that was appropriate. So perhaps what we need is an appeal process, or at least a comments box we can use when submitting a picture (I try to use descriptive captions). In this case, on resubmission one could write a comment defending their case such as "They are playing the game with an alternative board, how is this irrelevant?" I admit alot of irrelevant stuff gets passed, such as how is a Meeple Cake relevant to Carcassonne?

I just believe their should be an accountability for modding. I for one, have never left offensive comments, no matter how unattractive I thought the gamers were. As for "damn polka-dot twister kids" I think donkey_Hammer's maturity speaks for itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nice twisting of the truth there buddy. It wasn't an "alternative board". It was some kid in polka-dot pajamas laying on the floor with other kids sitting on or near them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stop resubmitting your stupid ass picture. Use your "User" section for crap like this.

Rude but 100% accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty good picture. It is also completely irrelevant to the Twister game. I think the mod made a good call on this one.

As to the comments, they probably thought you were trying to pull a fast one. (Which you probably were, come to think of it).

In general, I think the Twister page is better off without the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is getting a bit sidetracked. I was more concerned about general accountability in comments due to the protection of anoniminity than this specific picture or Donkey's rude comment on it.

Next time my kids play pajama twister, I'll include the spinner in the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Donkey_Hammer wrote:
They're probably talking about me. Because they probably submitted those god damn polka-dot twister kids AGAIN!

.edit.
Let's have some accountability for ... people ... who keep resubmitting the same declined image over and over!

Yes you are right about it being way too easy to resubmit images after they have been declined once.

But thatdoesnt mean you need to be rude about it. If you are concerned about it occuring contact an admin, im sure they will look into it. Youd be suprised how much better that works than charging full steam into the forums or being a mod vigiliante.

if it helps heres a list of the admins and who you should contact with you concerns.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes several people to decline an image, so it is more than one person picking the irrelevant comment.

As for the picture in question, I think that Randy is saying that the kid wearing the polka-dot pajamas IS the 'alternate board'. Thus two kids are playing twister ON the third kid.

"Use your "User" section", where do you find that? You can post pictures outside of the mod system for your own use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Azzarc wrote:
"Use your "User" section", where do you find that? You can post pictures outside of the mod system for your own use?

Yes, exactly. In your profile, there is a tab for GALLERY. You can upload pictures there immediately without going through GeekMod.

Aldie's thread announcing this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

Yes, exactly. In your profile, there is a tab for GALLERY. You can upload pictures there immediately without going through GeekMod.

Hey thats cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azzarc wrote:
It takes several people to decline an image, so it is more than one person picking the irrelevant comment.

It takes even more people to decline the same image again...and again...and again... (which is what I gather happened) I feel safe saying that BGG users, or at least those who care about having a say in what images go on the site, think that the picture shouldn't be in the Twister gallery.

Quote:
As for the picture in question, I think that Randy is saying that the kid wearing the polka-dot pajamas IS the 'alternate board'. Thus two kids are playing twister ON the third kid.

I realised that the time it popped up when I was modding. I racked my brain to try to figure out how it was relevant to Twister in a way that anyone else on BGG would care about. I didn't come up with anything, so I called it irrelevant. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks that, so I feel justified in my decision.

Now, I don't like rudeness either way, and the relative lack of rudeness compared to other sites' fora is why I spend my time on BGG. I certainly don't think any comment should be anything more than "Please stop resubmitting this subject; it has been declined several times." But I also think it's rude to GeekModders to continue to upload images of a subject if it clearly is not being approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen mods decline a publisher web link correction 3 times when the correction was so obviously correct. It passed the fourth time because someone put a note in the link correction as to why it needed to be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azzarc wrote:
I have seen mods decline a publisher web link correction 3 times when the correction was so obviously correct. It passed the fourth time because someone put a note in the link correction as to way it needed to be corrected.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about that, (though I have a few ideas that would constitute a major threadjack) but I still think it illustrates the point that, without changing something in the submission, the same thing kept happening. In fact, that could represent a good thing in the formula: "acceptable" changes get approved consistently, while "unacceptable" ones get declined consistently. The issue is removing those quotation marks.

I, personally, would like a bit more information in the GeekMod system for Images and Data, but I'm waiting before making any suggestions that aren't "as a New User, this would help me," since I haven't been using it that long. (I spent waaaay too long as a lurker before becoming a registered user, so I'm still getting used to things like GeekMod)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the above "link" example. I only resubmited the picture *once* changing the caption in the attempt to make it clearer that the children, were indeed, right hand on blue, playing twister on the polka-dot kid. (Again, as the picture was labelled "irrelevant" I revised the caption to attempt to make the relevance more obvious. Obviously it didn't, and was declined and I let the matter go.

Again, it may be prudent to allow a "comments" section that the submitter can include with his picture upload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
GeneSteeler wrote:
As the above "link" example. I only resubmited the picture *once* changing the caption in the attempt to make it clearer that the children, were indeed, right hand on blue, playing twister on the polka-dot kid. (Again, as the picture was labelled "irrelevant" I revised the caption to attempt to make the relevance more obvious. Obviously it didn't, and was declined and I let the matter go.

Again, it may be prudent to allow a "comments" section that the submitter can include with his picture upload.

that is a suggestion I have made a few times. But so far all ive got is 'thats what the caption is for'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
While we appreciate our geekmodders, it is never appropriate to include insulting or rude messages in the comments section, no matter how much you think the uploader deserves it. (Incidentally, I'm not implying that anyone deserves it, just that some people seem to think the rules stop applying in those cases. They don't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arbo
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

That's what I would say makes sense. If that's what you did (and for me, it's your word against "people ... who keep resubmitting the same declined image over and over!", so I don't know what's true), then you don't fall under "people who keep reuploading images of the same subject even though it's getting rejected."

Quote:

But if the GeekModders need to see that comment to understand the picture, wouldn't your typical picture-browsing BGG user also need that comment to understand the picture? Unless, of course, it's a replacement image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If your picture is declined, you don't resubmit it with the hopes that "different mods" will put it through for you. That's abusing the system. If you can just send it over and over until the "right people" show up, then why have a mod system at all?

Furthermore, the original poster has stated already that they submit pictures that they themselves wouldn't approve of. Hypocrite much?

And if you disagree with this post, I'll just keep reposting it until people who do agree with me show up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy's initial post simply suggested that some level of accountability should be in place for mods. He did not attempt to argue his case for the specific image that apparently prompted the post. He did not ask for the many comments that were made regarding why the particular image should or should not have been accepted. Again, he merely suggested that mods should have some level of accountability, and that they should not send offensive comments to users attempting to submit content to the site. His specific recommendations were that moderation decisions and any associated comments should be made public. I'm not sure if either of these recommendations can be implemented. I am sure, however, that the comments he reported receiving and some of the comments he has since been subjected to in this thread are completely inappropriate.

A "caption" is obviously different from a "comment" intended for mods who are considering the appropriateness of an image. This thread clearly indicates how mods could sometimes benefit from user comments with image submissions. Perhaps the mod involved realized that the pajamas were intended to be the alternate board. Perhaps he missed this humor. The ability to submit a comment for the mod along with the image would assure that the mod had all the information he needed to make a decision. I'm guessing that users would be less likely to resubmit images in this situation. Either way, there is no justification for mods leaving the types of comments cited in this thread. I hope the admins will take a serious look at this.

Surely, the suggestion that Randy submit the image to his "User" section is appropriate and appreciated. However, it fails to address the central point of this post - the need for accountability for mods. I'm sure that most folks who participate in moderation are reasonable and fair. This site is much better because of their efforts. However, some are obviously rude and apparently overly emotional in their decision-making. Additional accountability would not punish responsible mods, but would correct the problem that this thread was intended to address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey_Hammer wrote:
If your picture is declined, you don't resubmit it with the hopes that "different mods" will put it through for you. That's abusing the system. If you can just send it over and over until the "right people" show up, then why have a mod system at all?

You are right that people shouldn't do that. But this does not give you permission to send an offensive comment when someone does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What you and I find offensive may be entirely different things. Welcome to the real world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Donkey_Hammer wrote:
What you and I find offensive may be entirely different things. Welcome to the real world.

Yes but most people would think what you said is rude. There is nothing wrong with an honest opinion, but it doesnt have to be rude like your comments were. And as I mentioned above if it concerns you enough to be rude then you should be contacting an admin, they do a great job at fixing these sorts of problems, but they dont know there are any problems unless you talk to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.