Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've been playing Amnesia and Paranoia wrong. After the revelation I've been discarding them but I think that's wrong (only treachery cards are discarded after revelation.)

Should these cards just hang around in your hand taking up one of the 8 "slots" after revelation with the only way to discard being an effect that randomly discards (like The Gathering Agenda 1?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
I think I've been playing Amnesia and Paranoia wrong. After the revelation I've been discarding them but I think that's wrong (only treachery cards are discarded after revelation.)

But Amnesia and Paranoia ARE Treachery cards. Says so right on them (go ahead and look!).

So like all Treacheries, they are drawn, resolve, and are then discarded (unless they tell you to keep them around, like Dissonant Voices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
picklethehutt wrote:

But Amnesia and Paranoia ARE Treachery cards. Says so right on them (go ahead and look!).

So like all Treacheries, they are drawn, resolve, and are then discarded (unless they tell you to keep them around, like Dissonant Voices).

Oh, that makes sense. I'm reading forums at work without the cards in front of me to look at. Serves me right, I should pay more attention.

I think playing LoTR messed up my brain regarding the word treachery.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Disregard. I read things wrong and was making the game harder for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:

Should these cards just hang around in your hand taking up one of the 8 "slots" after revelation with the only way to discard being an effect that randomly discards (like The Gathering Agenda 1?)

The handling of a weakness depends on the weakness type (treachery vs. encounter vs. player (asset/skill/event)). (RR 21).

Amnesia and Paranoia are both Treachery cards: "When a treachery card is drawn by an investigator, that investigator must resolve its effects. Then, place the card in its discard pile unless otherwise instructed by the ability." (RR 20).

For your last question, I'm not sure what you're referencing, but here are both potentially applicable rules (RR 21):
-"When an investigator draws a weakness with an encounter cardtype (for example, an enemy or a treachery weakness), resolve that card as if it were just drawn from the encounter deck"
-"When an investigator draws a weakness with a player cardtype (for example, an asset, an event, or a skill weakness), resolve any Revelation effects on the card, and add it to that investigator’s hand. The card may then be used as any other player card of its type."

Note that (and this is generally applicable to player cardtypes, which do go in hand in many cases): "A player may not optionally choose to discard a weakness card from hand, unless a card explicitly specifies otherwise." This overrides any general instructions otherwise, so for example you can't Amnesia out of other Weaknesses in your hand, and if you have multiple you might even wind up with >1 card in hand off an Amnesia. You also don't get to keep one "good" card in such a case; you're just stuck with your Weaknesses and discard the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
XShagrath wrote:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/fa...

According to this FAQ, they stay in your hand. This has the additional negative effect of basically decreasing your hand size by one.

That FAQ doesn't say that at all. Specifically it says you cannot Discard Dark Memory (and other weaknesses that you may keep in your hand) with Amnesia, that's it though. Not that these cards stay in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
supermarino wrote:
XShagrath wrote:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/fa...

According to this FAQ, they stay in your hand. This has the additional negative effect of basically decreasing your hand size by one.

That FAQ doesn't say that at all. Specifically it says you cannot Discard Dark Memory (and other weaknesses that you may keep in your hand) with Amnesia, that's it though. Not that these cards stay in your hand.

You are correct. Ends up I was making the game harder for myself. How very Lovecraftian of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
picklethehutt wrote:

The handling of a weakness depends on the weakness type (treachery vs. encounter vs. player (asset/skill/event)). (RR 21).

Amnesia and Paranoia are both Treachery cards: "When a treachery card is drawn by an investigator, that investigator must resolve its effects. Then, place the card in its discard pile unless otherwise instructed by the ability." (RR 20).

For your last question, I'm not sure what you're referencing, but here are both potentially applicable rules (RR 21):
-"When an investigator draws a weakness with an encounter cardtype (for example, an enemy or a treachery weakness), resolve that card as if it were just drawn from the encounter deck"
-"When an investigator draws a weakness with a player cardtype (for example, an asset, an event, or a skill weakness), resolve any Revelation effects on the card, and add it to that investigator’s hand. The card may then be used as any other player card of its type."

Note that (and this is generally applicable to player cardtypes, which do go in hand in many cases): "A player may not optionally choose to discard a weakness card from hand, unless a card explicitly specifies otherwise." This overrides any general instructions otherwise, so for example you can't Amnesia out of other Weaknesses in your hand, and if you have multiple you might even wind up with >1 card in hand off an Amnesia. You also don't get to keep one "good" card in such a case; you're just stuck with your Weaknesses and discard the rest.

The last question was due to me missing the fact that Amnesia and Paranoia are Treachery cards. I don't have the cards in front of me and didn't pull up Arkhamdb before posting. That question would have been appropriate had they NOT had the treachery card type.

Playing LotR had my brain associating treachery with encounter deck cards only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.