Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REVISON B

This variant will attempt to accommodate two separate styles of solo game play utilizes a stripped down version of the 2 player rules.
Note: When asked to remove cards from the game in this variant I found it best to have the box lid somewhere close by and simple place the removed cards in it.

Black Text- “Beat your High Score” solo variant
Red Text- “Competitive Player vs Deck” solo variant

"Beat your High Score" solo variant
Step 1- During set up draw any one of the starting city cards and place it in front of you on either its "A" or "B" side, then shuffle the main deck and place it on the table within reach.

Step 2- Start the game by drawing 6 cards forming your hand.

Step 3- At the beginning of a round place a card from your hand onto the table then reveal the top card of the main deck.

-If the card revealed from the main deck shows a higher value than the one you played from your hand, both cards are removed from the game. You will then draw one card from the top of the main deck which you must play into your city.

-If the card you played from your hand has a higher value than the one revealed from the top of the main deck you may choose one of the two cards to play into your city, remove the card not chosen from the game.
Note: Cubes can be spent from your city to improve your score against the card revealed from the main deck, but if the main deck reveals a card that contains a production square on it, it’s assumed that the main deck has spent a cube to bump that cards value by 60 for every production square shown on the card.

Step 4- During the beginning of round 4 (and later in the game round 9) you will have exactly three cards in your hand. Before play begins you must remove the three cards in your hand from the game and draw three new cards from the top of the main deck (this is meant to simulate passing your cards to an opponent in a 2 player game). Once cards are removed and hand is replenished to three cards play and rounds can begin as normal until you have played all the cards from your hand.

Step 5- During the beginning of round 7 you will have no cards left in your hand. Draw from the top of the main deck a new hand of 6 cards and repeat steps 2-4 until once again you have no cards in your hand at which point the game is over and scoring can begin.

Step 6- After playing 12 rounds you will have a completed city (a completed city consists of 12 cards plus the starting card) and scoring should be done as the official rules state.
Note: Scoring Rank
Good: 55-65
Great: 66-75
Excellent: 76-85
Master: 85+

I have played this variant many times and it has worked well every time I have played it. Even though it is simply a "Beat your Best Score" type of solo game I have enjoyed it, so much so that I have taken to writing the high scores in the box lid. It is a nice touch because when you open the box, the names serve as a reminder of the good times I’ve shared with the game as well as a light taunt to myself, tempting me to take on the challenge of beating my high score. I hope anyone who plays this variant is satisfied with it and any improvement and/or suggestions are welcome to making it enjoyable for others.

P.S. The name/date/and score in the lid is a great touch for competitive people in your gaming group as well. This game often gets pulled from the shelf when someone in our group gets knocked out of the main game early and is waiting for the rest of the group to finish. My friends love itwhen they get to write their own name in my box lid as a sort of dethronement to the owner. This also lets me have hours of extra gaming after my friends leave for the night to try and reclaim that which was taken from me!

"Competitive" solo variant
Step 1- During set up draw any one of the starting city cards and place it in front of you on either its "A" or "B" side, then shuffle the main deck and place it on the table within reach. Take the End Game Scoring Cards numbered 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 and shuffle them, drawing three unseen and returning the rest to the box. Set these three cards face down in a spot designated for the AI player and reveal the top card.
Note: These cards will be used ONLY for the AI player and ONLY for the purpose of scoring after the game.

Step 2- Start the game by drawing 6 cards forming your hand.

Step 3- At the beginning of a round place a card from your hand onto the table then reveal the top card of the main deck.

-If the card revealed from the main deck shows a higher value than the one you played from your hand remove your card from the game and put the card revealed from the top of the deck into the AI players discard pile. You will then draw one card from the top of the main deck which you must play into your city.

-If the card you played from your hand has a higher value than the one revealed from the top of the main deck you may choose one of the two cards to play into your city, the other card will be place into the AI players discard pile.
Note: Cubes can be spent from your city to improve your score against the card revealed from the main deck, but if the main deck reveals a card that contains a production square on it, it’s assumed that the main deck has spent a cube to bump that cards value by 60 for every production square shown on the card.

Step 4- During the beginning of round 4 (and later in the game round 9) you will have exactly three cards in your hand. Before play begins you must reveal a new End Game Scoring Card for the AI player and remove the three cards in your hand from the game, drawing three new cards from the top of the main deck. (This is meant to simulate passing your cards to an opponent in a 2 player game) Once a new AI scoring card is revealed and a players hand is replenished back to three cards play and rounds can continue as normal.

Step 5- During the beginning of round 7 you will have no cards left in your hand. Draw from the top of the main deck a new hand of 6 cards and repeat steps 2-4 until once again you have no cards in your hand at which point the game is over and scoring can begin.

Step 6- After playing 12 rounds you will have a completed city (a completed city consists of 12 cards plus the starting card) and the AI player should have a discard pile which contains 12 cards total. Scoring for the player should be done as the official rules state. Scoring for the AI player should be as follows:

**Each City square scores 1 point.
**Each Forest square scores 2 points.
**Score each end game scoring card the AI player controls as indicated:

#2- Each Forest square scores 1 additional point.
#3- Each Fallow square scores 1 point.
#4- Each Lake square scores 2 points.
#5- Each card that has at least two City squares on it scores 1 point.
(1 point per card)
#6- Each card that contains at least one resource square on it scores 2 points.
(2 points per card)

This competitive take on the “Beat your High Score” variant must see credit to users Ilkan and Nicholas who help tremendously in the creation of this variant. The game play for this variant is still very streamlined while making the biding / trick taking element of the game feel like your decision matters just a little more than just “what’s best for my city”. You will not want the AI player to take certain cards because throughout the game it is revealed what the AI will be scoring during the end of the game. I would like to commend Ilkan again for bringing the idea to the table that the discard pile can and should play a vital role in this competitive variant which in turn brings more depth and decision making to the game.

If anyone decides to try this “Competitive” variant please let me know how it works out for you by posting your thoughts in the comments. I should note that doing random pulls of 12 cards and figuring up several example AI scores I have found the AI player can score in a range from mid 60's to mid 80's so this will be quite a challenge. If this does prove to challenging a player can decrease the difficulty by simply choosing only 2 end game scoring cards and reveaing them during rounds 4 and 9 as stated in Step 4. As with the “Beat your High Score” variant I hope anyone who plays this “Competitive” variant is satisfied with it and any improvement and/or suggestions are welcome to making it enjoyable for others.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just tried this and scored 69. The variant worked well.

I do have a question about using resource cubes to increase a bid. I was playing where I could add a single cube to my bid before flipping over the card from the deck. However, on re-reading the rules I realized that you've based this on the 2p variant. In that variant the player with the lower card can place two resources to win the bid.

How do you play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to spend a single cube before flipping the card from the main deck if I want to ensure the card I played sticks. Recently though ive been trying to find a way to still stay true to the trick taking aspect even in a solo game so I have changed the way I play to the following:

When I play a card from my hand I can spend any number of cubes from my city to bump my card value by 60 for each cube spent. When I have settled on a card with a value I am confident in I flip the top card of the main deck. I play as stated above but now if the card revealed from the main deck would produce a cube I count it as a cube spent by the main deck to bump its cards value.

This has made the game more thinky for me during the trick taking portion in a solo game and I like that. Please though if you have any more input or a different way of doing things plet me know as I would love to try any new ideas with this game

EDIT: Added a cube reference into the variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Quach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
fantastic job just did this myself and got 59 points and quick and fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you!! im glad you enjoyed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorome Bennett
Australia
flag msg tools
This works really well. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrJABennett wrote:
This works really well. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you enjoy it, this is one of my favorite games to come out of 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Was really interested in this game, now you've given me a great reason to finally buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you that is great to hear, you won't be disappointed its a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eveline
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this variant! I tried it twice today, and it worked well. I scored 63 on my first attempt, 69 on the second. And it felt almost like the multiplayer version. Although the card drafting and bidding is something I enjoy in the multiplayer version, this also had some randomness to it. My scores were in the same range as my multiplayer scores have been. Play time was much quicker, 10-15 minutes.

Anyhow, I'm happy that I can now play this solo as well. So thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad to hear you enjoy this variant so much An bravo for the score of 69! I've lost count of my plays of Honshu and still my highest score to date is 72. It really is a great game and have often wondered if the designer has given any thought to expansion ideas or possibly even a separate but linked game that takes the cities the players create and use them somehow. All wishes and dreams though and if they remain that i will still be pleased with just the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Lenormand
France
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for those solo rules! I've tried it today and managed to score 65! I also found out I've been playing it the wrong way up to now whistle

We bought the game with my dad and we aren't really into board games that much even though we really enjoy them, so reading rules isn't our thing. What we understood is that you had to cover a square with something identical (so a town could only be covered by a town, a desert only by a desert, etc.) So I didn't get the pictures I saw of cities that were compact, because for me it was imposible to do! And scores where mych lower too, since nothing was touching, I never managed to put two lakes next to each other. So if you want a "hardcore" version of the game, then this could be a variant I guess

Anyways I'm realy glad to be able to play it solo, thanks! And I totally agree, a exctention could be great, even though I have no idea what it could be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for expressing your enjoyment for the variant, I am glad you like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin van Dijk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
64 points on my first solo play. I like this variant, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! My best so far has been 72 points but I had to have been helped by a greater force because since getting that 72 I can't seem to get close to it again I am glad you like the variant though, it has served me well when I need a fix and notice I have no friends readily available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilkan Atabay
msg tools
This is a great variant as a solo game. Thank you very much!

After I read this as a Facebook post on solo boardgamers group, I got excited and gave it a try immediately.

And actually I noticed that it doesnt have to be a "Beat your Best Score" type of solo game. I have tweaked Step 3 a little bit and made it "Beat the Honshu Master" type of solo game

- Beat the Honshu Master Variant -

Step 1: Same as this variant.
Step 2: Same as this variant.

Step 3: After revealing the top card from the deck;
_If it beats my card, Honshu Master gets the card I've played and I have to take the remaining one.
_If I beat his card, I can choose which one I want to have. Honshu Master gets the remaining one.

Step 4,5,6: Same as this variant.

- Scoring Honshu Master -

After you scored your completed city as the official rules states, it is time to score your opponent, Honshu Master.

_Simply count all the city and lake squares as they are all connected.
_Turn his resources into factories.
_Count his forests.
_Sum all of them up.

I played it like this and it ended up a tie game 68 - 68

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, and your take on the variant is interesting, I will have to give it a go when playing this again! I personally can not thank the game's designer Kalle enough for this wonderful, quick, and vestal little game. Defiantly one of the best small box games I have on my shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for flattery Dejun. Thank you for making the Solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Carter
United States
Hoschton
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing by Dejun's solo rules since picking up Honshū. While I enjoy it and will continue to play this way, I'd love having an actual opposing score that made things challenging! Has your opposing score addition resulted in close games like you mentioned in the majority of games?

I started on a similar tweak to the solo rules for Viceroy a while ago for the same reason. High score just feels... Pointless to an extent. There needs to be a threshold at a minimum, but preferably an opponent who scores against you based on your own interactions with the game, preferably one who can actually negatively impact your card play, etc. Since Dejun's version can already do this (via the auto-bidding when revealing resources) all that's needed is dynamic opposing score based on your own card play/what you've allowed to slip past you.

So thanks Dejun, and thank you, Ilkan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicolas,

Thank you for your kind words about the variant! I appreciate that you find this variant playable but also I do recognize that "beat your high score" is not particularly exciting for every one.

I feel Ilkan is on the right track with a variant that is in the same vein as what you are looking for and I am excited to see how Ilkan develops it further. I think it is very clever to have the cards that you did not chose to play mean something and effect the game instead of thinking of them as "removed from the game".

My idea to maintain very little upkeep but keep a competitive edge would be to utilize the additional end game scoring cards that come in the box like so:

-Play the OP's variant as normal but during setup you will shuffle the end game scoring cards 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 together and draw 3 of them unseen putting the rest back in the box (unseen) as they will not be used.

-After you have drawn your hand of 6 reveal one of the three end game scoring cards that will be used by the deck during scoring.

-During Step 4 (Rounds 4 and 9) in place of discarding your three remaining cards, remove them from the game instead. This will ensure the Deck will only score a 12 card discard pile consisting of only the cards you are each competing for in Step 3. Each time you remove your remaining hand of 3 cards from the game, draw a new set of 3 and reveal another end game scoring card for the deck.

-After the 12th round score your city as normal (player does not get to use end game scoring cards). Then score for the deck as such using the cards that were discarded throughout the game:

**Each City square scores 1 point.
**Each Forest square scores 2 points.
**Score each end game scoring card.

#2- Each Forest squares scores 1 additional point.
#3- Each Fallow square scores 1 point each.
#4- Each Lake square scores 2 points.
#5- Each card that has at least two City squares on it scores 1 point. (1 point per card)
#6- Each card that contains a resource square scores 2 points. (2 points per card)

This competitive take on the OP's variant will still not require you to maintain 2 cities while making the biding / trick taking element of the game feel like you do not want the deck to take certain cards because you know what will score them additional points at the end of the game. I would like to commend Ilkan again for bringing the idea to the table that the discard pile can also play a vital role and bring more depth to this variant for competitive players, very well done

If anyone decides to try this tweak to make the solo variant competitive please let me know how it works out for you. If it is well received I can revise the OP to add RED text where a competitive element can be added if desired. I should note that doing random pulls of 12 cards and figuring up several example deck scores I have found the deck can score in a range from mid 60's to mid 80's so this will be quite a challenge.

***Note: To decrease the difficulty (if needed) you can only use 2 end game scoring cards and reveal them throughout the game as you remove your hand of 3 cards from the game during Step 4 (Rounds 4 and 9).

Hope the people who were looking for this type of play enjoy this tweak

Kind Regards,
Dejun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Carter
United States
Hoschton
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent some time with this tonight and I like the idea a lot... But I'm not sure scoring is quite fair, or even would be with 2 bonus scoring cards instead of 3. I give more of a breakdown in my review on the g+ Board Games community, linked here.

Let me know if it looks like I've misinterpreted something, but I think I got it. One thing I wasn't sure of was how to handle situations where the bot's discard has more than 12 cards, as it can when you can't - or choose not to - best the bot's card during the trick-taking phase.

Whenever you have time, obviously, but know that all your work - and your time - is appreciated.

https://plus.google.com/+NickCarter-Thynctank/posts/jkERcx7u...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas,

Thank you for the catch! I can see in the original post where I used the word "discard" in Step 4 when removing your remaining 3 cards from your hand. In the original "beat your high score" variant this discard stack was not relevant at the end if the game but in the competitive mode this changes and step 4 should be altered for competitive play as the Deck should only score 12 cards.

- During competitive play,a player on step 4 should remove their remaining 3 cards from play, this would reduce the Decks discard pile to only the 12 cards you are each competing for.

***This has error has been fixed in the "competitive " post

Again thank you for the catch and I hope this leads to a closer match up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP revised to suit both "Beat your High Score" and "Competitive" solo variants for this wonderful little game! Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Carter
United States
Hoschton
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through this again with better attention as well as better understanding and the further clarification provided.

This game was much closer and I squeaked a win by 7 points. I'll give it a few more plays but it definitely feels like it might be close to perfectly-tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this. I was on the fence on getting this game, this just sold me on a copy.

Have some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.