Subject: Setting up the supply - how? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
Got this yesterday, and am yet to play my first game. Read the rules and everything seems pretty straightforward - except for how to set up the supply.

For some reason I just can't get my head around setup step no. 10:

"The supply piles are the player cards that can be gained during the game. The suply is composed of nine supply piles. Each pile contains several copies of the same card".

Are all the nine supply piles identical, only shuffled differently? If so, why does the manual say that they contain several copies of the same card? The two decks listed ("Deck destruction" and "Free charges!") list nine different cards - does this mean that each pile contains one copy of the listed cards?

I might be missing something, but how can a pile with nine different cards also contain "several copies of the same card"?

Can anyone help by describing the exact steps involved in building the supply?

EDIT: I see that each pile contains seven gem cards, five relics and five spell cards. How do I choose what three gems make up the seven gem cards, what five relic cards represent the two relics and what four different spells make up the five spell cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your supply consists of 9 piles. If you are familiar with Dominion it is like that. If not, I will give you an example.

Lets say you are playing a game with gems A, B, and C. Relics A and B. and Spells 1, 2, 3, and 4. Your first supply pile consists of the 7 identical copies of gem A. Your 2nd supply pile consists of the 7 identical copies of gem B and your 3rd supply pile consists of the 7 identical copies of gem C.

Supply pile 4: 5 copies of Relic A
Supply pile 5: 5 copies of Relic B
Supply Pile 6: 5 copies of Spell 1
Supply pile 7: 5 copies of Spell 2
Supply pile 8: 5 copies of Spell 3
Supply pile 9: 5 copies of Spell 5.

This way, you have 9 options to buy from. You do not need to have 3 gems, 2 relics, 4 spells. You can have 2 gems, 1 relic, 6 spells. You could also have 4 gems, 3 relics and 2 spells. To have an optimum set up though, it is suggested to have 3 gems (one or two of which are lower cost), 1-2 relics, and 4-5 spells (some of which are lower cost)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dumas
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the example to the left of the "Supply Setup" step you can see how your supply piles should look after set up. It will be nine different piles. Each pile will be One (1) card that has "several copies" of that "Same Card". So in the example, the first card you see in the top left is the "Jade" card. That pile will have all of the "Jade" cards in it. The pile will only be "Jade" cards. The next pile to the right will be the "Searing Ruby". That pile will contain multiple copies of only the "Searing Ruby". So on and so forth.

Different set ups of the Supply area can change the different kinds (Gems, Relic, Spells) included. In the example there are Three different Gems, Two different Relics, and four different spells that can be choosen between. How you choose which Gems, Relics, or Spells are put out can be done many different ways - You can choose the cards specifically, use the randomizer cards included (these are the cards that have the gray boarder around them of each type of card) or use one of the special setup cards that they included in the kickstarter version of the game (if you have a kickstarter version)

The rules suggest that you use the 3, 2, 4 split of the types of cards (3 Gems, 2 Relics, 4 Spells - of course you could always change this up to try to make the game more difficult if you wanted, but the makers of the game seem to think this is the best mix) and they even included some suggested starting supplies you could use under the example picture on page 10 of the instruction manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
Ah - right! All cards of the same name go in the same pile - now it makes sense. I can also see that I've set up my first game quite wrong (shuffled the entire supply and then made nine piles..).

Cheers, both of ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy_X wrote:
Ah - right! All cards of the same name go in the same pile - now it makes sense. I can also see that I've set up my first game quite wrong (shuffled the entire supply and then made nine piles..).

Cheers, both of ya!

I haven't tried that variant of Aeon's End yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Andy_X wrote:

Cheers, both of ya!

I haven't tried that variant of Aeon's End yet.

Opposed to a full epic variation, this could actually work for people more into randomness.

Pick 9 market cards as normal, then shuffle the al an make like 3 market decks, you could maybe show the next card in each deck to give some prediction.

Could be an answer to the "can we play this like epic Thunderstone?" Questions bound to come (think I've seen it pop up already).

Personally I like this Dominion styled market.
Been setting it up random but with 3 gems, 2 relics and 4 spells.
Love the variation, the different strategies that emerge this offers.
Soon we'll give a full random setup a try (maybe do a 1 of each type atleast version, maybe full random).

Now that's it for my completely off topic rambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.