Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the pattern that the three releases so far have followed, it may be possible to reasonably speculate at future releases.

The purple six-pointed stars represent announcement dates. The Kickstarter for the Base Set went live in mid-June of 2015. Backers had it in mid-September and the general public had it in mid-October.

Three-and-a-half months passed and then Tyrants was announced. It became available to the public less than 2 months later.

Two-and-a-half months passed and then Uprising was announced. It became available to the general public 6 months later.

Points of note:

-We've never gone longer than 3.5 months between a set being released and the announcement of another set. This means we should expect another announcement by late March at the latest.

-The announcements of sets have often been concurrent with the announcement of another WWG Kickstarter. Given that we KNOW a digital version of Epic is coming via Kickstarter, and that it will probably go live in February or March, it is reasonable to expect another Epic set announcement at that same time, and probably pledge levels that include it along with the digital version. In fact, given the long time between the announcement of Uprising and the release of Uprising, it seems likely this date was chosen BECAUSE of the Kickstarter occurring, not because it was likely to be available within a short time after.

-The Star Realms pattern seems to suggest that we are due for another "big box" expansion of 120 cards, if not the next expansion, then at least the one after it. It seems likely that this box expansion will be the place that the Kickstarter promos will see a wide release. This makes the most sense to me because including 20 (or 21 counting Keira) promos in a 48-card set could be a serious turnoff to the people who already have them, and might even decrease sales of the set. On the other hand, if 99-100 cards are brand new, this effect is mitigated significantly. Conversely, they may just let them start trickling out a few at a time, but waiting longer than 2 years after they said "these will be publicly available later" seems a bit disingenuous.

-I would also expect an announcement of Worlds 2017 in Q1 as well. The first qualifier was held in March last year, and it seems likely they will want to get the word out sooner than later to avoid having to fill unused qualifier spots with special invites. This seems especially important given the fact that 2 qualifiers for next year have already happened. Those winners aren't quite sure WHAT or WHEN or WHERE they've qualified for, so they are probably owed an answer at some point soon. I could certainly see this announcement coming even sooner than the Kickstarter.

So what have I missed or gotten wrong? Share your thoughts and predictions below. And if anyone from WWG is reading these, spoilers and teasers, however vague, are always welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't say too much in response to this, except to say that we will not be releasing all 21 (and counting) promos in the same set. That wouldn't even make sense - each set has their own way to it, and that collection of promos wouldn't necessarily make sense to be in a set together.

Also, when we said "later," we very specifically did not announce a specific time frame.

I can't wait for the Epic Digital KS campaign. I might get to livestream. Here's a tiny spoiler: as you might expect, the app has continued to develop since WWGF. Things are looking pretty good, in my not humble opinion. =)

- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:
I can't say too much in response to this, except to say that we will not be releasing all 21 (and counting) promos in the same set. That wouldn't even make sense - each set has their own way to it, and that collection of promos wouldn't necessarily make sense to be in a set together.

Also, when we said "later," we very specifically did not announce a specific time frame.

I can't wait for the Epic Digital KS campaign. I might get to livestream. Here's a tiny spoiler: as you might expect, the app has continued to develop since WWGF. Things are looking pretty good, in my not humble opinion. =)

- Nathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i found those 2 images.... future expansion?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your speculations and I'm intrigued at what the next base set will add to the game. Maybe we'll see a couple new mechanics. Also will be nice to see promos make it to retail with possibly fancy new art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in mid March and there are no announces about the new set. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I hope we get some announcements soon. I'd love to add more cards to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
link11020 wrote:
I hope we get some announcements soon. I'd love to add more cards to my collection.

You will need to have patience as I imagine Epic Digital is the priority right now. The alpha release is almost here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
link11020 wrote:

You will need to have patience as I imagine Epic Digital is the priority right now. The alpha release is almost here.

I assume that the folks that develop Epic cardboard are not the ones coding up Epic digital. I assume that they have been testing it, but I am not sure how time consuming that would be (vs. automated testing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.