A A
United States
Sylvania
Oh
flag msg tools
I dont know much of anything about the rules of the game or the rules of the variant.

Do they differ that much? Or did the game have to be broken and remolded in order to work for solitaire? More importantly is it fun? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't know about the Stuka Joe variant but I do enjoy playing the game solo. I actually enjoy it as much if not more than against an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solo play might be useful for learning the mechanics of the game but terrible for learning the tactical and strategic nuances that make this a great game to play. (Of course, if just pushing pieces around is sufficiently fun, then playing with yourself might be enough; to each their own.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Labrut
France
Verdun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often played this game solo and I had fun each time, trying different strategies. But I did not know the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ditto that. I intend to try out the solo variant, but still enjoy the game solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just completed a game (first full war for me) using the solo variant (ver 3.0). It really is a lot of fun. Being a complete noob, falling accidentally into all my own supply line traps was highly amusing.

I'm sure regular solo is fun too (for those who like playing wargames solo) but in the variant you're never quite sure what the situation will be in just a couple of actions time due to the heavy rotation of the cards and you don't find yourself trying to 'forget' what cards you know your opponent is holding because it doesn't matter as much.

All in all, I found this a very fun way to learn the rules over the past couple of days. And while I would hope to play against real people one day (either online or in real life) for now the game plus the solo rules feels like money well spent.

(Entente won at Armistice in fall 1917 by just one point on the final roll of the dice. Russia capitulated, America joined the war effort but didn't send any troops, Lawrence of Arabia conquered Jerusalem and Canada saved Italy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing solo as much as playing an actual opponent. Playing an opponent will definitely make you a better player, but playing solo lets me play when convenient for me, for many short periods of time spread out over several days, or weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Total agreement, Tom, I also find that PBEM play also provides that play-when-you-like convenience factor. Solo play does have a significant drawback in that you often learn terrible tactics or misunderstand the rules. Not that your opponent will necessarily catch those errors, of course... =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo whit Stuka Joes 2017 version. Really enjoying it. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.