Hyperborea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Treachery and a Few Other Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just recently played 3 games of Hyperborea in the last 2 days and are really enjoying it as a 2-player game even though I have got my butt kicked each game. A few questions have come up and I was hoping that you guys could help answer them.

1) If I have the Treachery Advanced Technology card and I sacrifice one of my guys in the Central hexagon will it kill all of my opponent's figures in the 6 surrounding Borderland hexagons, if they had a figure in each one of them? Would it also kill one of their figures in the Central hexagon if there was one in there? In a 2-player game this seems like it could almost wipe out all of the surrounding enemies if things were set up right. My opponent thought this seemed way too overpowered so I didn't use it.

2) Prior to drawing your cubes during the End of Phase turn or at anytime when you have the choice to add cubes to your bag, are you allowed to look inside of the bag to see which cubes you have in there? I did not think that this was in the spirit of the game.

3) When you are doing End of Game scoring for control of the different hexagons, do you get any extra points if you have control of your opponents Homeland/Starting hexagons? Are they still worth 1 point only or more since you gained control of them?

4) Any simple strategy tips? In game 1 my opponent was The Red Duchy and I was The Celestial Reign. We played the short game and she beat me 44-38. She triggered the end of the game by getting all of her men on the board first. In our 2nd game we decided to play the regular game where you need 2 End Game conditions and she again had The Red Duchy and I played The Coral Throne. She had 15 gems and got 5 Advanced Techs to trigger the end game and beat me again 75-49. The next day we played it again and since they were clearly the DOMINANT race, I took The Red Duchy and she took The Emerald Kingdom and we decided to play another short game. The map even looked good for me as there was only 1 swamp and 1 forest tile so her Special movement race ability didn't even really help her. Things were looking good for me as I had several gems and was the first player to get 5 Advanced Techs to trigger the end game. She took her last turn and boy was it a doozy as she took the Central hexagon, killing one of my guys and also took 2 other Border hexagons to beat me 50-41.

I'm not a poor sport or anything but this game is clearly nothing other than a cube drawing LUCK FESTshakeshake

Just kidding, we both really like it as it plays very quick with just 2-players. To add insult to injury, these 3 games were her first time playing Hyperborea and I had played it a few times last year with 4 and 5 players. Oh wait, I must post her best line about this game that she said as she was killing my guys and taking over tiles "I really like this game because there is really NO direct conflict or fighting, its just about figuring out the best way to move around the map and take over the tiles"zombierobotzombiearrrharrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby Dooby Benooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,
1. I think you've misunderstood the symbol on the Treachery card. By removing one of your figures you get to remove one of each opponents figures from either the hex you are in or in a hex adjacent to your figures. In a two player game you only have one opponent so you can only remove one figure. Oh...and you can only use this power if you have more than 3 figures on the board yourself.
2. The rules state that you are never allowed to look in your bag, but you are allowed to feel how many cubes you have left at any time.
3. They are only worth 1 point each
4. Here's a couple: Always know if your cubes are getting low and if you need to throw a couple of extra cubes in the bag so you don't waste a turn drawing just one. To thin out the number of cubes in the bag, pick up a card that uses the gray cubes...or one with the 'infinity' symbols on it so you don't have to throw them back in the bag when you reset.

Hope that helps!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
oobydoob wrote:
Hi Mike,
1. I think you've misunderstood the symbol on the Treachery card. By removing one of your figures you get to remove one of each opponents figures from either the hex you are in or in a hex adjacent to your figures. In a two player game you only have one opponent so you can only remove one figure. Oh...and you can only use this power if you have more than 3 figures on the board yourself.
2. The rules state that you are never allowed to look in your bag, but you are allowed to feel how many cubes you have left at any time.
3. They are only worth 1 point each
4. Here's a couple: Always know if your cubes are getting low and if you need to throw a couple of extra cubes in the bag so you don't waste a turn drawing just one. To thin out the number of cubes in the bag, pick up a card that uses the gray cubes...or one with the 'infinity' symbols on it so you don't have to throw them back in the bag when you reset.

Hope that helps!
Paul

Thanks Paul, that was very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.