Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exago is a nice little abstract strategy game for 2 - 6 players, where the object of the game is already mentioned in the title here: connect 4. This may sound lame, and "it's been done", but let's review and find out!

Looks

The grey plastic board looks kinda ugly, I think. It could have been a lot better. The coloured hexes the players use are nice and shiny, but they're not really stable where you put them. Someone accidentally hitting the board will make sure you just start over.
So if I just saw the game in the store, I doubt I would have bought it.

Rules

The rules are very simple: one player puts a small hex of his colour on the board, and everyone follows, clockwise.
You must always put a piece adjacent to another piece. Everyone gets 6 pieces to put down.

When you're out of pieces, you can take one on the board and place it somewhere else. The one you take can come from anywhere, as long as it's your colour. Now the real fun starts.

As soon as you get more than one "island" on the board (which can happen when you take one of your pieces away), all pieces in the smallest one are removed from the board and given back to the players. This can be pretty devastating, as it is possible you get all 6 pieces back and must start over again, while the other ones are getting 4 pieces in a row (must be a straight line).

This last thing is what makes the game fun. Everyone doesn't care about anyone but himself, and the next player. If you see someone already having three in a row, but he's not the next player, then it's not your problem!

When played with only 2 players, the rules change slightly. You need to get 5 in a row, and you each get 10 pieces.

Feel of the game, and conclusion

What, already? Yes, sorry guys. It's not a complicated game, and I explained all the rules.

As I said above, the elimination of pieces is the fun part of this game, along with everyone just bothering to block the next player. People are setting eachother up, or need to work together when a particularly cunning player has 3 ways to finish.

Despite the bad looks, this game can be pretty fun to play, especially with a large number of players. It might not be as good as "Ingenious", but it doesn't take that long to play (5 to 15 minutes), and so is good for a few games in a row.

All in all, not a bad game at all, for people who like abstract strategy games. You might not want to play this one every week, but it's good fun when you get it out for a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking multi-player Pente but multi-player Connect 4 sounds maybe more accurate. If it's still there when it drops to 75% off at b&n annual sale I may pick up a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was still at my B&N when the discount hit 75%. Even if it stunk I couldn't really argue with $7. Not bad at all when you're looking to kill 15 minutes (2-3 players in my case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A good little quick game- much better with more than 2 players, but not a bad little time killer for two.

The colored pieces are a nice heavy acrylic, and alone are worth the price of the game if you can find it on sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.