Popular Tags: [View All]
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I recieved some new units today, and wanted to try them out. So I talked my wife into a game. Suprised even me.

I cooked up a scenario I had thought about. One that would be a part of a campaign/story. I had the idea before the scenario book came out, and was half-surprised, half-not when it turned out to be similar to the Gold Train and Hell's Cargo scenarios. Both look very cool, so I kinda gave up on the idea. I kinda thought mine would seem like a rip-off.

But this evening, I thought my scenario would be something my wife would get into. Something other than build and conquer. And it would incorporate a special unit.

Scenario Rules.
I used maps 12 and 11 as the northern maps. 10(upside down) and 5 as the southern maps.
The goal -- Get a hero block from the western edge, and exit off the map at the eastern edge.
My wife chose Amazons with the Hero block being my son's hero, Conner the Grey. (There'll be a story how the young warrior came to be with the man-crushing beauties.) I chose the Orcs. Some of the new units we had were the Amazon Elephant, Orc Shaman, and Orc Assassin.
80 pts each, and all units killed were removed from play.
Cities didn't produce gold. To use port movement, both cities needed to be occupied by friendly troops.
Orcs had to start with units in all the cities on maps 11 and 5.
Turn A -- Amazons got a free move for two stacks of two, one entering off-board on map 12, and one on map 10.

Here's how it kinda went.
The Amazon crossed Orc lands with the gloaming upon them. But their dusk raid was discovered (Orcs won initiative), and the Orcs moved from the rear cities to forward choke points. Scouts (wererat, werebat, and troll) were sent ahead to search for the prize. A big group entered and headed toward Neya(map10). Two stacks of two units each moved past Viris and Bendale(12) with the raiding stack moving to the south of Nebal Range.
Orc scouts initiate combat and get annhilated, running into a Charmer, Cavebear, and a Tigress among others.
The Amazons marched eastward.
Battles ensued within Orc territory; and the Amazons defeated most of the Orcs, eliminating Goblins, Trolls, and even a Great Orc.
An intense battle near Demon Falls matched an Orc battle group, consisting of a Cyclops, Orc, and Shaman, against a strong Amazon contingent. An Amazon Witch was the only survivor.
The southern two groups of Amazons moved through Lonor Pass and toward Khara. Their way was cut off by the remaining stronghold of the Orcs at Tapa where they attacked. The Amazons brought in the Tigress, Charmer, Witch, and Amazon; they dove into a grinder. Orc Assassin, Trog, Shakla, and Goblin were waiting. The Amazons were crushed.
The second group headed back north, across the Sagan and toward Zure were it linked with another unit. Three units remaining for the Amazons. Four for the Orcs.
The Amazons made as far as Abak before the Orcs caught up with them.
The final battle was fierce. The Amazons had an elephant and the Hero, along with a weakened Witch. The Orc Assassin and Trog proved too powerful. The young hero, Conner the Grey, was defeated.

My wife enjoyed it. Not having to conquer cities gave the game a different feel. Then perhaps she'll want to play Hell's Cargo and Gold Train.

The game was close. Two blocks remained. In fact, block count at the beginning was something like 14 to 16, Orcs. But most of the big uglies were single strength scouts or cheap fodder. Perhaps, the advancing faction should be 90gps? Also, my final designs on the goal would not only be the Hero to survive, but any units remaining will get to be used in a following scenario in the campaign.

Time limit. We didn't keep track of the number of turns, but it might be good to have a limited number.

Turn A. Maybe I shouldn't be strict with the extra move. Perhaps have all blocks move. Or not have the four blocks be in two groups, but make it where at least one enters each map. So three units in a group can advance on one map and one unit in the other. Or four groups of one. Don't know.

Anyway, I had fun. Wizard Kings has so much potential. It'll take a lot of time and play to unlock it all.

-edit- I forgot to add that the advancing army gets the Hero block for free. So 80gp army, or 90, plus the Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mervyn I don't think I could ever get Dana to play Wizard Kings with me not unless it somehow incorporated Yahtze, Bunco, or Farkel into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, Jodie hates wargames, actually. However, she liked playing Heroes of Might and Magic; and I told her WK is really similar. She hated WK the first time we played, so I thought this non-conquer scenario would work. She isn't pining for a rematch, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.