Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I feel I should start with how popular this game appears to be. A lot of people love it, more like it, and everyone told me I should try it. I did and I knew it wasn't a game for me. First off, I am not a fan of abstracts. I don't like simple movement games. And I've never been a fan of fighting games. Now that I have it out of the way why I don't like this game, let's get into the game.

1. This is an abstract. This is going to appeal to some people. The game is super easy to pick up and to play. It borrows a lot from chess and it is familiar to many gamers.

2. The game is fast. The game is easy to pick up and play and doesn't over stay its welcome. To me, I felt like I was waiting for someone to make a mistake more than I was doing something to win. I wondered at times if two people could concentrate the same and had the same ability would the game end in a tie every time? I still wonder...

3. The game is really a filler and unique for a filler. This game shines as a filler. While I don't have a place in my collection for it, this will fit a niche for many gamers (and maybe you). You won't likely set a night around this game, but it might set the tone for the evening.

4. Ease of play. You will be able to play with your dad/grandpa who won't ever play a game with you. Players of chess will lend to this game very easily. The rules are light and anyone can pick it up and go in a matter of minutes.

5. Fun. The fun of this game is everyone has the same moves available to each other, but the timing of when you can use them is different. That's the game. It appears to be very popular and a lot of fun to many.

I am not sure this game was going to appeal to me. It is almost a lighter Tash Kalar. I think I will stick with that one and pass on this one.

Purge.

Components:

The components are a tad over produced. You get a "mouse pad" type of mat which is really just a bunch of squares. You get Kung Fu people to move around that sort of look like in the style of chess markers. Everything is sufficient for this sort of game.

Rule Book:

The rules are very simple. The "actual" rules of the game are the movement cards which were a little tricky to read (not for me, but for my "non gamer" opponent). The rules can be read, digested and you start playing in about 2-3 minutes.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of this game is pretty easy to explain.

There is a mat on the board and each side is populated with a players team of Kung Fu experts with a Kung Fu Master in the middle.

To win, you kill your opponents Kung Fu Master or take his center spot on the board.

The interesting part of the game is how you move. There are X number of movement cards in the game. Each player gets two random at the start of the game and one random in the center (the rest go back in the box).

On your turn, you can move per the rules of one of your two cards (think different sort of moves akin to different chess moves). After you move, you place the card you used in the center and take the center card. This way you always have two cards.

This continues back and forth until the win condition is met.

Should I buy this game?:

I realize this game is going to appeal to a lot of gamers and a lot of people talk about how great it is and I think it is a neat little game, but it isn't for me. I am not a fan of abstract games and I am not a huge fan of fighting games, yet here I play. This game is going to be for people who want a quick, two player, fighting game that is akin to chess (abstract). This game seems to have great appeal to a lot of gamers, but I am not one of those gamers.

Purge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.