Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [2016 Mint Tin Contest] - Befuddlemint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Befuddlemint is an abstract strategy game for two players that can be played in 5-10 minutes.

Included in this post is the one-page rules that can be folded and fit in the tin, and a print and play file for the components. You can consider mounting the components on some stiffer card, there should be plenty of room in the tin for the added thickness. Also, I suggest using some black and white cubes or something equivalent for the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a fan of abstract games. Can you please clarify the rules, especially the use of the strips in setup where tokens need to be placed and then in the turn play section. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
GarryHoddinott wrote:
I'm a bit of a fan of abstract games. Can you please clarify the rules, especially the use of the strips in setup where tokens need to be placed and then in the turn play section. Thanks.
Sorry for the confusion. I was short on time and space. If I change things up now, it probably won't be counted for the contest, but I'll see what I can do nonetheless.

I think I know how the token placement at setup can be described more clearly. What do you find unclear about the turn play section?

Everything would likely be improved with a graphic showing a game in play, but again, time and space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the rules are pretty straight forward if you read through them twice. Some of the rules highlight an aspect of another rule that hasn't taken place yet when you read through the rules in order the first time, but made sense after you get to the next rule. Just to clarify, a player pulls two color strips and two scoring strips, and they place them in front of them for their own use. The other player gets the other two color strips and scoring strips, and beyond passing the black/white token to each other, there is no interaction, right?

I just have a few comments/suggestions. You have "you cannot" twice in a row for one of the rules.

Also, unless I am confused, why do you have the players take two strips to play in their own area instead of making a larger four strip play area in the middle between the players for both to use? Beyond passing a token from your general supply to the other player to place on the strips, there does not appear to be any interaction between the players. I think the interaction is the only thing lacking from your game based on my understanding of the rules.

Perhaps if you left all four strips in the center together, the players could bump each other's tokens around to prevent them from scoring. Of course, with a larger play area, you might need more scoring tokens due to more potential for matching the scoring strips.

Also, with a larger playing area using the shared four strips of colored places, you could then enable a variant where a user can score in any direction for their scoring strips, vertically or horizontally, instead of worrying about light or dark. Perhaps each player could designate a scoring strip as black or white, and only tokens of those colors score the points for those design patters regardless of orientation, where they are on the board, or how many they can make. Again, you would need even more scoring tokens for this option.

NOTE: I like the idea of a player passing the next color token that they want the other player to play at this time. Variant: you can make this a solo game by having a player pull out a black or white token blindly from a bag.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
I was kind of struck by the idea of laying the rules out in a matrix, to show the role that each component had in each stage. I moved things around a little, so hopefully it will be a bit clearer on the first read through.

Oh man! I totally was not specific enough about the strips. You take two of them and they form the shared playing area. It is quite claustrophobic, and trying to move pieces in a way that you will score without letting your opponent score is tricky.

I've thought about a larger playing area, but I like tension. A 4x4 grid might be better for a longer game, perhaps with more patterns to form.

If you like the idea of choosing a token for your opponent, you should check out Quarto, if you haven't already. It's where I got the idea from.

Note: if you are voting on the contest, you should consider the original rules, as we are now well past the deadline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls