7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Alternatives to poker chips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: poker_chips [+] [View All]
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poker chips are usually a great way of tracking wealth in economic-type games - much less fiddly than toy (or real) banknotes. But for one of my games I'm planning to use poker chips to mark players' positions all over the board (a bit like in Risk, only different) so it would be confusing to also use poker chips as units of currency. Alternatives I can think of are:
- banknotes, but they're fiddly and suffer from wear and tear
- wooden cubes, tiddlywinks counters etc, but they're also fiddly
- plastic toy coins, but these seem to cost more than real coins!
- real coins, but they're too heavy
- pencil and paper, but constantly accounting is too time-consuming
- a scoring board (like in Carcasonne), but there'd be too much movement so it would be too error-prone

Wooden cubes or tiddlywinks counters seem like the least-worst options, but does anyone have better suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about mother-of-pearl gaming chips. Do these look different enough from your poker chips that people won't get confused. The high value ones are rectangular of course but the lower value ones are still round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand write, or better yet print out, a bunch of peel off labels in the denominations you need, then attach them to playing card faces.

Alternatively, if you have a few old card decks around with various colored backs, just ignore the card faces and designate each colored back as one of your money denominations. (ie. red back cards = 1s, blue backs = 5s, green = 20s, etc.).

If you don't like the idea of card faces on your money, just glue the cards together face to face. Do this and a 54 card deck, would net you 27 of what are essentially "flattened out chips'. And so much easier to use than paper "monopoly" money.

And lastly, you could make a scoring track where everyone keeps track of money using player tokens...or make individual player score boards where each player can use real coins to keep track of their money. A 1x coin and a 10x coin (penny and dime if you are American), would work for almost every game I know. You've just got to figure out how to configure the scoreboard(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased a "deck o' dough". See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21948

Rainsiko wrote:
Poker chips are usually a great way of tracking wealth in economic-type games - much less fiddly than toy (or real) banknotes. But for one of my games I'm planning to use poker chips to mark players' positions all over the board (a bit like in Risk, only different) so it would be confusing to also use poker chips as units of currency. Alternatives I can think of are:
- banknotes, but they're fiddly and suffer from wear and tear
- wooden cubes, tiddlywinks counters etc, but they're also fiddly
- plastic toy coins, but these seem to cost more than real coins!
- real coins, but they're too heavy
- pencil and paper, but constantly accounting is too time-consuming
- a scoring board (like in Carcasonne), but there'd be too much movement so it would be too error-prone

Wooden cubes or tiddlywinks counters seem like the least-worst options, but does anyone have better suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The cards ideas are good ones... except I forgot to mention that the game uses a lot of cards and chits as well! Maybe rectangular mother-of-pearl chips are the best option for me. Thanks to all of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to use the poker chips strictly as money, even in this game, and find an alternative for use as game bits.

This keeps everything more consistent.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot of veteran 18xx players use thick and sturdy plastic chips with amounts on them. Some are rectangular, some are square with different colors.

I personally like those much better than poker chips but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Perhaps an 18xx player that has those can tell us where to find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.