Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
A bit hard to formulate this question but:

Suppose I have zero VPs, and suppose I move my last ship away from Lisboa, using two move actions, to the first unexplored card, and explore it. I flip it over. I'm now supposed to earn a VP. In the game where this came up, I argued that I can now immediately return the exploring ship to Lisboa, and then am able to now use that marker to the VP board. My opponents argued, on the other hand, that once I moved the marker from the newly-explored card back to Lisboa, it was too late for me to earn the VP since that action was over.

Basically, I was arguing from an assumption that the free action of returning markers to Lisboa can be interjected into the middle of a standard action, while they were assuming that the free action can only take place _after_ the standard action is completed.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Web
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought players could return such a ship to Lisboa and use it to record that VP but I'm not sure on an official ruling. Allowing it seems more in the spirit of the game to me personally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play that actions are atomic (in all games) unless the rules specifically provide for interrupts. If you don't have the cube that you need then you can't use the cube, it's what makes this game so smart as a game and introduces tension into an otherwise quite simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it helps, but while running demos in the GenCon booth I asked one of the higher-ups about this and was told you could do exactly what you propose. I agree, though, that it feels like it goes against the spirit of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was answered by the designer (according to the person who emailed the question):
Re: When you sell trade goods, can you use the goods cube to immediately become a banker?
Quote:
2) If you have only one cube, a ship, and it discovers a new coastal town. Can you use a free action to turn that ship into a historian, so the VP is not lost?

2)Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.