BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I love 7 Wonders and Duel, is Imperial Settlers worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Garcia
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I both love 7 wonders and recently picked up Duel since we can sometimes have trouble finding a third player for the original. We love and have fun with both.

Imperial Settlers has been on my radar, but would it be worth getting since I already have some games in the 7 wonders line? I know IS has some similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jordan!

I've played 7 Wonders a few times and play Imperial Settlers quite frequently. While there are some similar mechanics in both games, they both play rather differently in my opinion and I believe there is room for both in a collection.

While both games involve engine building using cards, I feel that the fact that you have to discard common buildings from your tableau to build faction buildings makes it more of an evolving tableau, where what your engine produces and how it produces them, change over the course of the game.

All the factions also play very differently with different focuses. I haven't played 7 wonders enough times to be saying this, but in my limited plays, I felt that the faction boards were guiding my actions and coloring my strategy. On the other hand, in Imperial Settlers, I feel that the faction I choose will often (in a more rigid sense) determine the paths to victory I can take. e.g. as an Egyptian player my strength will be the amount of gold I can generate and the flexibility of gold as a resource or as a Barbarian player, I will want to build a lot of action buildings because I generate a lot of workers.

Which reminds me of the other key difference: apart from the card drafting, it also combines strong worker placement mechanics that you have to incorporate into your strategy.

In summation, I would say that the two games are significantly different. Imperial Settlers is a lovely game with beautiful art, excellent game mechanics and theme and a rich and satisfying strategic experience and that warrants a purchase

Hope that was helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love 7 wonders Duel too. And we also like playing Imperial Settlers very much.

I think it's a nice 'next step'. It plays well with two and it brings a little more complexity: the nice twist is that you can use cards in different ways: as a source of income or as a building. You need the income to build, but income won't give you too many points, so you also need to build. The rules aren't complex but there are some decisions to make.

What I remember from our first game is that I thought I won: in my opinion my tableau was looking great. But my SO beat me easily. She had a much smoother working engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I am actually in a similar boat - our group has 7 wonders and we loved it. Recently, I tried Imperial Settlers which is also quite fun - great art work.

For those who have played both - I realize the playing style is different (engine vs drafting) but how do you people feel about the "flow" and "feel"? Are they too similar e.g. building a civ to score the most points?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these games have all that much in common, and I get a rather different feel out of them.

7 Wonders is all about making tactical choices in the draft. You are looking for synergies, setting yourself up to hopefully get passed the right cards, and sometimes deny your opponents cards.

7 Wonders Duel is more confrontational, the emphasis is more on denying and putting your opponent in a bad spot. The spatial element that is missing from its big brother plays a huge role.

Imperial Settlers is a lot more about engine building, resource management, and combo-ing your buildings. It also has direct confrontation and variable player powers. The game is more complex and longer than the other two, and you won't see all the cards in a single game.

I like all three of these games, and I think I enjoy Imperial Settlers the most out of them. They share some mechanics, but I think the similarities end at the extremely broad categories "card drafting and tableau building". In my mind, they are different enough to not feel redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input - how about the theme? E.g. if you felt like playing a civ-style game - do you lean to one or other? Or is it more like a mechanism selection choice?

Sounds like I could get both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers is one of my favorite games as a 2-player. I was underwhelmed by Duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Thanks for the input - how about the theme? E.g. if you felt like playing a civ-style game - do you lean to one or other? Or is it more like a mechanism selection choice?

Sounds like I could get both

Yes you easily could! They are very different games with their own unique feeling. And with appealing art.

7 Wonders and 7 Wonders Duel are pure drafting and set collection games which we enjoy very much, here at home. It doesn't give me a civ building though.

We also like Imperial Settlers a lot. It's more an engine building game with some civ building feeling. Until I saw this post it never occurred to me that 7 Wonder and Imperial Settlers could be familiar.

Imperial Settlers however is i.m.o. a heavier game: there a more rules to learn (and teach) and the choices are tougher.

To make it a little more difficult. A really beautiful and quick playing game that could be a nice step to make while going from 7 Wonder to Imperial Settlers, is Kanagawa: there's an open 'draft' fase and you try to collect sets like in 7 Wonders, but the cards you acquire can be used in multiple ways like in Imperial Settlers. The game is a little heavier than 7 Wonders, but lighter than Imperial Setters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:

7 Wonders and Imperial settlers are both tableau building games that share some characteristics but are quite different in focus.

In 7 Wonders the main focus is on card drafting, with an aspect of engine building but it is relatively minor. In Imperial Settlers the card drafting aspect is less significant and more focused on engine building. Neither particularly evoke the sense of civilisation game in my opinion. Particularly compared to games like Nations or Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.