Hide
21 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: I have played 5 to 7 games and my games still take forever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
I really enjoy this game but by hour 6 in a blitz scenarios, I just started getting worn out. I have played 2 first recon, 1 full conquest, 2-3 blitz conquests, and 1 volkare. The first recons were like 2.5 hours but then suddenly the conquest was 9 hours... then all the blitz was between 5 to 7 hours. I feel like I am taking 3 hours per round... I am playing with one other player but even still I am forgetting some small rules... maybe I should really read the rule book? I analyzed it so carefully the first time but there is just so much. But even knowing the rules there are just some many different options and variables and I don't like giving up with a suboptimal decision which makes games take forever. I really want to play more but the time it is taking just seems too great and I am trying to see ways to decrease it's length and play faster. Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a timer? The only way to play faster is to play faster. Which does mean making suboptimal decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MOISES MUNOZ
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As mentioned it sounds like you may be over analyzing. If it's taking away from the pace and enjoyment of the game then it's time to take some chances. If the move does fail you'll know better for next time which should be more often thanks to the increase of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there's a decision here : if you don't want to do suboptimal decision, there's no way to make the game short. When I play solo I tend to have this approach.

If I need move 4, I can spend 10 minutes or more wondering if I should play a powered march or a powered stamina. With a crystal or a die from the source ? or maybe both unpowered... Each of this decision may have consequences that will hinder or help me later on.

On the other hand, when playing with other players I try not to get there, and to make this decisions by instinct. I have fun anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
try watching my play-throughs... you can see how someone else plays solo and at what speed. Half an hour per round should be more than enough solo. Sometimes it's good just to go with your instincts and dive in. But if you want to analyse for a long time then you're going to need a long time. There is no right or wrong way to do it, but if you want to speed up, watch my film and see how you compare...

You should try this one: https://youtu.be/ztaunDHrEHU It's less than 15 minutes and is a play-through of the first day. The series continues from there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
maybe I should really read the rule book? I analyzed it so carefully the first time but there is just so much.

Yes, you should. At this point you have enough experience that every detail of the rulebooks should make sense and connect to your previous plays. You shouldn't have to refer to them very often anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya I think I will try either a timer or just making a decision and sticking with it. Maybe watching the video will give me an idea of how long it should take. The thing is that I ended up getting the best plays by having the most complicated string of actions but I don't know if it is worth how long I just analyze it. I will also try and skim through the rules again so I can have it down cold perhaps. There is just new stuff everytime (which is good but makes things more complicated haha). But it's where I pull moves with units, changing the source die, thinking about which enemy is resistant to what, what can I block and what damage should I take in, what skills I can use, how will this effect my next turn, and I can keep going. I just try to find a way to beat the enemy but I don't know when I should think it is not worth fighting them vs. I should just take the wounds to get the benefits. That is probably one thing that holds me back the most because I always try to make sure I can pull off with as few wounds as possible and say "there MUST be some combination that works!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I figure about 30 minutes to a round on Solo Conquest. However, the first round only takes 15 minutes as there are fewer decisions to make. I add an additional 5 minutes per round after the first (20 for round 2, 25 for round 3, etc.). But expect the city assault rounds to take even longer than the estimate as the cities can be very tough.

It sounds like you have a classic case of Analysis Paralysis if it takes you 9 hours to play Solo Conquest. You have to realize that you will make suboptimal decisions at times playing faster, but if you don't, the game will drag on for many hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya I am not like this with other games but this one is just the most complex game I own and I play games like twilight imperium. Haha. Are these times about the same for 2 players? Does the time double or slightly increase. Because the 9 hours was with 2 players but I was by far the slowest one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
I usually do Solo conquest for about an hour and a half to two hours. We played recently, 3 player game (we house-ruled to block pvp), 2 of which didn't know jack squat about the game. We only did the first 2 rounds and it took us around 3-4 hours (at most). I figure the last round would've been another 30-40 minutes.
Those time are including setup and me explaining how the game works, no alpha gaming on any rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play chess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, don't forget that it's just a long game. A 2 player game (for me) with one other seasoned MK player still takes 4-5 hours (3 days, 3 nights).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
Ya I am not like this with other games but this one is just the most complex game I own and I play games like twilight imperium. Haha. Are these times about the same for 2 players? Does the time double or slightly increase. Because the 9 hours was with 2 players but I was by far the slowest one.

If I play a bit slow, I can clock in about 6 hours for solo games and 6 hours for 2p games. If I play Mage Knight slow it's because I allow myself to AP. As it happens I try not to AP when I play with other people, it's something I only indulge in when I solo.

Also those 6h 2p games were with a new player. I could easily see the time go down to 4-5h with two experienced players.

So no, it shouldn't double the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya the problem was I was taking about an hour and half per round. After watching a video of how someone plays it looks like they just quickly wing it or take the damage sometimes. I mean they know exactly what everything does and the details of every site and I still have to figure all of that out sometimes. I never like accepting the fact that I can't find my way out of a situation and I try every possible combo until I find one that works but hopefully I will do that in time and just practice doing everything fast and getting into the rhythm of things unless I play solo. Thanks everyone for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
You hit on it earlier – you need to take wounds. They're not so terrible, and you'd be surprised what it takes to fully knock you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Pugnax555 wrote:
You hit on it earlier – you need to take wounds. They're not so terrible, and you'd be surprised what it takes to fully knock you out.

Good point. You start with a healing card in your deck. Some units heal, glades heal, villages and monasteries heal for influence. Units can take wounds in your stead, which you can then heal or simply ditch the unit in exchange for another.

Few wounds isn't too bad and even then there's plenty of ways to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I used to finish a game in 45-90 minutes at some point. But that was after 40-50 games or. (and also took down the cities).

I usually follow my gut, that's why I enjoy this game so much. Everytime I overanalyse I tend to get hit by things that just -slipped- my calculations.

I recommend trying that, see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, if you play as Arythea, some skills make wounds into useful cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Haha ya that's true. It's just if I take so much damage j have to just slow recover for many turns I am just defeated. Also the fact that I can't heal from discard makes me want to heal while I still have it in my hand and I don't like wounding my units because then I can use them so I almost never wound my units. What do you guys typically target first? Mage towers? Rampaging monsters to level up? Do you guys heal at very possible opportunity or just rest instead and keep going? When I get to the point of the city, I barely can win through very intricate combos. Maybe I am not picking up the right spells/actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
Haha ya that's true. It's just if I take so much damage j have to just slow recover for many turns I am just defeated. Also the fact that I can't heal from discard makes me want to heal while I still have it in my hand and I don't like wounding my units because then I can use them so I almost never wound my units.

As long as Tranquility is still in your deck, you can be more risky. Also, if you're near a magical glade you CAN remove a wound from discard, so keep that in mind as you make decisions about rest turns. As far as hand vs. units: the benefits of a wound being on a unit are 1) it's not clogging your hand, and 2) you always have access to it when you generate heal rather than having to wait to draw it. Especially if you're near a Monastery or Village and have some Influence on hand, it can often be better to drop the wound on a level 1 or level 2 unit to maintain your own personal power. There's no hard and fast rule about when to take wounds into hand and when to assign to units, but if you "almost never" do it you're probably erring a little too far on the side of taking them into hand.

shadowhawk720 wrote:
What do you guys typically target first? Mage towers? Rampaging monsters to level up? Do you guys heal at very possible opportunity or just rest instead and keep going? When I get to the point of the city, I barely can win through very intricate combos. Maybe I am not picking up the right spells/actions.

If I start a game with Concentration+Swiftness I'm very much more likely to go after a site with brown tokens draws, otherwise yeah a Rampaging enemy is usually the easiest target to start after. But since you can see what's in a Mage Tower or Keep, if I see that I can defeat one and take only 1 or 2 wounds (maybe 3 depending) I'll go in for the level and reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
That's right. You can heal your units anytime. That is a good point. I should definitely consider doing that more then... thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.